Buggy problem!! Is it just me???!!?

For the past couple of weeks, I have been making mostly candles with food scents. I have done next to NO cooking of food and have no food on any counters. Any snacks, etc. are in the refrigerator. The trash is taken out daily but very seldom has any food scraps. Every time I go into the kitchen there are little flying gnats or something like that everywhere. I have cleaned the counters with bleach, sprayed the trash can with Raid, and taken other above average precautions. Could they be attracted to the fragrance oils? I know bugs are stupid, but I would think they would figure it out. Has anyone else ever heard of this? It is really "bugging" me!! :sad2:

Also, Would you by any chance have any fruit out?

1 piece of stinking fruit on a counter brings in millions of those pesty boogers.

As soon as I bring fruit in my house I swear they have radar and find it.

I am fighting em now. grrrrrr

I have trouble every time I open my windows in the Spring and Summer. These itsy bitsy bugs, smaller than a gnat land in my tarts and even the unscented wax, what a pain. I have to leave the windows closed and turn on every fan I own. Gets Hot.....

:whip: There is NOTHING edible in there. I've been using the kitchen for strictly candles and soap this week. Been eating out. Have a couple of snacks in the fridge. I've cleaned all countertops with Clorox Kleanup and also kept the trash can sprayed with bug spray. No windows open. I live in an old house and none of them will open anyway. Don't want to. Hot as hell here. I started thinking it is the candles because I have left a couple of pots not washed out. I also noticed them in a room where I was test burning a cherry scented soy candle. I just went in the kitchen for some water and it looked like a swarm of gnats. I'm not smelling but candle scents. Otherwise I'd think maybe another one of those damn gators crawled up in the yard with something. Maybe I am a banana? Or am I having a blonde week?

Well, folks, I put bleach down the drains last night. This a.m. when I went in to make coffee they were there! Hovering around a pour pot that had chocolate scent in it.

Just another reason why I hate summer! I am a winter person when all the pesky, icky creatures are asleep. I don't think there is anything you can do about gnats, they are attracted to sugar and sweet stuff. I am a bartender and every summer we have to cover the whiskey bottles because they go after the sugar in the whiskey, or they are just looking to party! :laugh2: I HATE BUGS !!!!!!

Put a saucer out with honey in it..they'll be attracted and get stuck in it.

After Katrina we had these like crazy cause of all the rotten food in 10's of 1,000's of refrigerators that were unopened for over 2 weeks with no electricity. Mitch had come to town after a week and cleaned out our fridge and filled it with charcoal and baking soda so I didn't have the horrid smell but the bugs got in there and it took forever to get rid of them.

I used an ante bellum trick of the wasp catcher. It's a bell jar with a hole in the center and a plug in top. You fell the donut around the hole with honey or sugar water and the wasp or bees or any kind of bug crawls in from the bottom and then can't figure how to get out since the top is plugged up. They usually just drown in the honey/sugar water.

I'm thinking about drastic measures now. They kept diving in my wine glass last night! However, the suckers did drown, but I had to keep pouring out so much that I barely got a buzz myself! Time for action.

Hello, in Cherry country, Western Michigan, I have heard for the major bug problems there, they put out saucers of vinegar and cover them with Saran wrap. You then poke a hole in the top so they can enter where they drown. It's worth a try!