Dog Soap

jwahlton

This is a soap I made for my dog. It's 33% palm, 33% coconut, 32% olive, 2% castor. I used a small amount of lavender EO, and about a tablespoon of ground oatmeal. I wish I would of ground the oatmeal up finer though. I've been using this on my dog for the past year, and it leaves his coat really silky and soft, without drying his skin.

72570.jpg

72571.jpg

I bought a dog soap last year at a show I was doing. The ingredients listed are coconut oil, tallow and castor oil with citronella, peppermint, lemongrass, cedarwood and lime EOs. Sorry I don't know the % but at least you know the oils, butters and EOs used and can maybe come up with the % and build a recipe. :)

I bought a dog soap last year at a show I was doing. The ingredients listed are coconut oil, tallow and castor oil with citronella, peppermint, lemongrass, cedarwood and lime EOs. Sorry I don't know the % but at least you know the oils, butters and EOs used and can maybe come up with the % and build a recipe. :)

Thanks Meredith. That helps a lot. I don't have cedarwood, but I've got the others.

Julia...My sil has 2 miniture greyhounds with real dry skin. She asked for soaps for her princesses. I've looked and looked and finally came up with this....

1# TEST BATCH

6.08 OZ CANOLA 38%

4.80 OZ COCONUT 30%

4.48 OZ LARD 28%

0.64 OZ NEEM OIL 4%

4.48 OZ LIQUID (2:1 RATIO)

2.24 OZ LYE (7%)

0.32 OZ KELP POWDER 2%

4 OZ GROUND OATMEAL

39 20 55 20 19 64 143 SOAP CALC VALUES.....

14 GRAMS EO BLEND

I am going to blend Cedarwood, Lavender, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, and Peppermint eos for this one. I am going to try and make it tonight after the World Cup game.

:D

i have everything but citronella and cedarwood, would the other eo's help in repelling fleas? I was thinking of just mixing some lemongrass, lime, tea tree, & peppermint with some fco for a spray to see if that would help.

I have just made a soggy soap this morning and it is looking pretty good.

I basically used the recipe posted by crying moon. Looks wonderful.

I added tea tree oil and lavender...also used oatmeal water instead of adding regular to it. (it was a special request from a pet sitter) She was thrilled when I told her that I saw a recipe for a doggy bar.........

HUGE thanks Crying Moon!!!!!!

doggysoapinmold.jpg

This is from the archives on the old board. ;)

6 Bath & Body / B & B Recipes / Re: ISO dog shampoo recipe Apr 6th, 2005, 12:08pm Started by jooniper | Post by RobDo NOT use this on CATS!!!

dog soap Recipe #1 (this is the one I use)

2 lbs. M&P base

2 oz. liquid shea butter

1 1/4 TBS Cedarwood essential oil

1/2 TSP Lavender essential oil

1/2 TSP Rosemary essential oil

1/2 TSP Eucalyptus essential oil

1/2 TSP Peppermint essential oil

dog soap Recipe #2

4 oz. melt and pour base

1 tablespoon herbal infused Apricot Kernal or Grapeseed oil

400 IU vitamin E (vets say it is great for the dogs coat)

1/2 tsp EMU oil (optional) I prefer the EMU to the vitamin E

1/4 teaspoon liquid glycerin

1/4 tsp essential oil of tea tree

5 - 7 drops of essential oil of citronella

3 - 5 drops (each) pennyroyal peppermint or lavender

The tea tree oil for it's antiseptic quality and it is good for the

skin. The peppermint since fleas don't like the smell of it and adds

to the fragrance of the bar. The citronella and lavender with aid in

keeping the fleas and mosquitos away. Lavender has antiseptic

qualities and adds to the frangrance also. Pennyroyal repels fleas

and ticks.

Making the Herbal Infusion:

2 tsp. of dried pennyroyal (4 tsp if using fresh)

1/4 C Apricot kernal oil or grapeseed oil

place the herb in a jar with tight fitting lid (preferably dark

glass) and pour oil over the herbs and close container. Gently shake

to stir and saturate and sit in a sunny window sill for at least 24

hours, the longer the better (up to one week). Gently shake jar

every now and again to mix. Straing the oil and throw away the herbs.

Fast method...place herbs and oil in a pot and gently heat over low

medium heat for 30 minutes and then pour into glass container with

tight fitting lid, seal and let stand for 24 hours. Strain and toss

herbs away. Bottle.

You can use other herbs with the pennyroyal to taste/smell preference

and this oil can be placed safely in all other products to help repel

mosquitos and bugs.

Preparation:

Melt the base and when base is almost melted to a liquid, add

glycerin, vitamin E, herbal infused oil and stir gently. When

melted, add oils and stir. Pour into mold (s).

I prefer the bar to liquid because you can just rub the bar on the

wet doggie without trying to hold the little four legged baby still

while you mess with bottle, flip top and etc.

7 Bath & Body / B & B Recipes / Re: ISO dog shampoo recipe Apr 6th, 2005, 12:05pm Started by jooniper | Post by RobFunky dog soap with Neem and Rosemary

Ingredients:

7 oz water

3.3 oz full fat buttermilk

4.2 oz lye

5 oz coconut oil

8 oz palm oil

8 oz olive oil

8 oz soybean oil

2 oz neem oil

1 oz emu

2 Tbsp neem powder

2 Tbsp powdered rosemary

.5 oz rosemary essential oil

Directions

Makes 2 pounds. My dogs inspired this, and not because they can dance. It removes 'eau de doggy' and is great for doggy dermatitis. I imagine it would be a decent flea repellant as well. Fine for humans too. Combine water and lye, cool a bit, then add buttermilk. Set aside 1 oz of neem and emu oils. Melt solid oils in microwave, add to crock pot along with liquid oils. Add lye water/milk and proceed as usual. Just before pour, combine neem and rosemary powders, neem and emu oils and rosemary oil, then add to soap. Mix and pour.

doggie Shampoo Bar

Ingredients:

8oz coconut oil

6oz olive oil

1.5oz castor oil

3.54oz lye

.25oz jojoba oil

.5oz aloe vera gel

.25ox eucalyptus eo

.125oz peppermint eo

.125oz citronella eo

.25oz T-50 Tocopherol

6.5oz palm oil

3oz canola oil

8.5oz water

.25oz neem oil

.25oz lavender 40/42 eo

.125oz lemongrass eo

.125oz tea tree oil

.125oz cedarwood eo

Directions

I make this in my 6qt crockpot. Add lye to water & set safely aside. Heat coconut, palm, olive, canola & castor oils till completely melted. Add lye water & stir till light trace. Put the lid on the crockpot. I stir every ten minutes till vaseline stage, keeping an eye out for volcanos in between. After the cook, dump the soap in a ss bowl. Stir every 5 minutes to assist in a quick cool down. Make sure to keep the sides of the bowl scraped clean. When my soap has cooled down to approximately 160 degrees add the remaining ingredients, stirring very well. Glop the soap into your log mold & press the air bubbles out for a uniform soap.

doggie De'Pugh

Ingredients:

10 oz Aloe Juice/Distilled Water 50/50 Blend

0.15 oz Hydrolyzed SWO Protein

2 oz Polysorbate 20

0.5 oz Silk Amino Acids

2 oz Witch Hazel Distillate

1 oz Jojoba Oil

0.1 oz Neem Oil (Optional)

0.1 oz Lavender EO

0.1 oz Rosemary EO

0.5 oz Citronella EO

Directions

Part A Polysorbate 20 Jojoba Oil Neem Oil (Optional) Lavender EO Rosemary EO Citronella EO Part B Aloe Distilled Water Mixture Witch Hazel Hydrolyzed SWO Protein Silk Amino Acids Directions: Combine Part A mix well Combine Part B and mix well Slowly pour Part B into Part A stirring constantly. add A preservative if not using within 2 months or if you plan to sell. This spray is great for Between Baths to help keep your pooch smelling pretty. smiley.gif The Neem Oil is optional but does help dogs with Hot Spots or irritated skin. I worked with 2 veterinarians to develop this spray. I have been using it on my 4 dogs for the last year and it really helps with Rennie's (GS) hot spots, and also has helped to prevent flea infestation. Avoid the ears and eyes (Face in general) when spraying this.

Wow, these are great!! I will surely have to give some of these a try for my Pomeranians!

I will say that your dog bar looks really nice!! The ONLY problem I think I would have with it would be using it on long hair dogs!! I would think that the oatmeal in the current size it is in, would get matted in the dogs hair and my Poms hair is very long! I would grind it up more!! JMO!

Thanks for sharing!!

God Bless,

Lynn