Failed Mottle Experiment

Gee thanks Murray. Have to tell you, you inspired me to do all this experimenting, so when you get that perfect mottle, I want in LMAO.

I could tell you how to make it, but then I'd have to kill you.

You know, I've been thinking lately that I like it a lot better when people shorten my handle to "Top" instead of "Murray" because Murray is a real name and not mine. I'm about the furthest thing from a Murray.

And yeah my ugly was pretty fugly but I think it's a toss up between that and mottled poo with encrustations. ;)

So you don't try it, I tried 1343, 6% Stearic, and instead of the translucent which I didnt' have, tried 2% of the C-15. The rustic surface litterally fell off the candle. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of it (in the bottom of the garbage can). :)

So you don't try it, I tried 1343, 6% Stearic, and instead of the translucent which I didnt' have, tried 2% of the C-15. The rustic surface litterally fell off the candle. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of it (in the bottom of the garbage can). :)

Tsk Tsk Henry! You need to take pix so we can all learn :wink2:

e

Translucent Crystals -- Translucent crystals are fisher trop waxes that come from a synthetic process. They are used to maintain the translucency of paraffin. Fisher Trop enables you to add color and fragrance to the wax without affecting the translucency. It will not add translucency, it will just help maintain it. Fisher Trop is also very effective in decreasing surface flaws and increasing strength of the candle. Usage is 1 to 3% by weight.

BTW....I really like the 2nd pic. E - very nice looking

Ok E - I haven't pulled mine out of the mold yet this morning so I'm not sure who's going to win on the ugly contest. I *think* your has more mottling than mine does.

At least I know how to save it and use it for something!

DanaE

But I'll bet in the dark it would look good burning...hee hee hee. Those are the ones I give to my sister. She doesn't care. They go good with wine. And why the crystals? I have been using vybar 343 also, but I think that I may just use 1 T steric and NOTHING else. Donita

Ok, here's mine. It has the exact same additives as E, but made with 4045H instead of 1343. Looking at it in the daylight...it has a good bit of mottling going on. I think I'll back off the FT by 1/2t and see if I get a full mottle.

Oh, and I used 1-1/2 ounces in this ONE pillar and there's no seepage at all! That baby came out completely dry. So if I can get a great mottle, with that much FO and no seepage I'll be in heaven.

DanaE

OK- this picture looks orange, but the real pillar is this very pretty shade of mango - a deep orangey red. But I took the pic up close, when it was dark outside, using a lamp to get some light. I guess I should try it again, but I'm tried of uploading pics!

post-296-139458378101_thumb.jpg

And here was the first try - when I was trying to do rustic with the same additives and 4045H. Seriously ugly. I backed off on the vybar and FT by 1/2 and the new pillars came out beautiful! I haven't taken a pic yet but I will. They came out looking exactly like all my other rustics, but they were able to hold 1-1/2 ounces of FO per lb.

DanaE

post-296-139458378104_thumb.jpg

And why the crystals? I have been using vybar 343 also, but I think that I may just use 1 T steric and NOTHING else. Donita

We are on a mission to get a good mottle that does not bulge when burning. Crystals were not the answer. Oh well.

e

We are on a mission to get a good mottle that does not bulge when burning. Crystals were not the answer. Oh well.

e

Maybe if we try half as much FT? I'm going to try that tomorrow. Maybe I'll get a better mottle. If not, I'll definitely keep using the FT on the rustics to prevent the bulging. I'm on my 3rd or 4th burn on the ugly purple candle and it's burning great - no bulging and it's consuming itself completely. Haven't yet burned the rustic ones made with 1/2 as much FT.

DanaE

That was a great save e! Looking good.

I find this thread very interesting. I like the 1343 and mottles, but really hate that buldge. If mottles could be made withought it AND hold more FO, that would be fantastic. I applaud all the experimenting ya'll are doing.

That was a great save e! Looking good.

I find this thread very interesting. I like the 1343 and mottles, but really hate that buldge. If mottles could be made withought it AND hold more FO, that would be fantastic. I applaud all the experimenting ya'll are doing.

Anyone can join in. We are currently recruiting testers. Need someone to test 3 T of stearic p.p. of wax, no vybar at 1oz FO pp., 180 degree pour. Testing for mottle, sweat and bulge.

e

I'm still testing...today I'm using the 4045H, 1/2 as much Fisher Trop as I originally used, a tad of vybar 343 and 1.25 ounce FO per lb, pouring at 180. I'm doing layers so it'll be tomorrow before I unmold them most likely. Will report any sweating, and will report if the FT helped eliminate the bulge from this batch.

If not....well. I'll keep trying. I don't have any bulge on the ugly purple pillar yet, so I'm still going to do rustics that way, with slightly less FT.

DanaE