Candles w/o labels

sharyl55

We've just gotten home from a trip to IA. I was amazed at the number of candles I saw at every stop that did not have any label IDing who had made them or even a warning label. I would estimate that at least 95% of the candles were not properly labeled. I'm sure they were always out there but I had never stopped to really look at them before. I wouldn't dream of selling a candle, tart, or ornie without a warning / use label. That is one reason hand poured candles get a bad rap. Just had to unload on someone who would understand.

We have some of them around here too. Gesh, how in the world could you complain if you don't know who to complain to. That might be the reason they do that. Guess they are not too concerned about getting future sales either. but no warning labels is just plain dangerous. :confused:

I find that a lot around here too, especially at the craft shows I am at. There a lady here who makes/sells soap and has that she's a member of the soapcrafter's guild but she doesn't have ingredients, etc. on her labels. Scary.

I find that a lot around here too, especially at the craft shows I am at. There a lady here who makes/sells soap and has that she's a member of the soapcrafter's guild but she doesn't have ingredients, etc. on her labels. Scary.

Legally in the US if they're just selling it as soap they dont have to have any ingredients listed. It is scary to me though! Allergies are abundant! (we do have to list ingredients here in Canada)

I've noticed that also. But more important I have found that my Customers have also. This helps us peeps who are doing it right, in one way and hurts us all in another.

I feel doing it the right way pays off in the long run.

I went to a local craft show this spring, and there was a lady selling candle with no labels of any kind, not even company information (I think I posted about this back then). Anyway, her jelly jars were just that...normal jelly jars with no labeling, not even the lids. I don't even think the candles had scent info on them. She sold mainly 4oz jelly's but I think she may have had tarts as well. She handed me a business card that had a website listed, but when you go to that site, it says it doesn't exist!!! :cool:

I live in MO and we have a country store that sells candles (that someone makes) and all of their candles- votives jars and everything have no label on them at all. The owner of the store has a sticky paper attached to it saying the scent.. Most dont even have that on them so you have to guess what they are.

Ash

I was at our local Cracker Barrel restaurant recently and saw some small hex jar candles for sale. They had no labeling whatsoever except for the fragrance. I commented to my husband that I couldn't believe they could sell candles packaged this way in a store!

WOW... i thought it was a law you had to label... you're right no wonder so many people notice little things about ours because they know nothing about the others. I love knowing what exactly I'm getting i wouldn't purchase something that wasn't labeled... completely understand the vent.

HUGS

I was told that if no warning labels you can be fined for up to $1.000.Mine are labeled but a friend had some candles at a business and the business owner was approached by a customer and told her she can be fined.She went right across the street and got warning labels.Not her candles but she did not want to be responsible if caught since she was the seller.

I always thought ingredients must be on soap in case of an allergic reaction.At least if it is on there people can tell the doctor.If not they would I assume to get in touch with the soap maker and business info should be on the wrapper. Those who arent labeling ingredients, name and also warning labels I would think could be approached about this.I just cannot imagine not doing it.To tell the truth that is the biggest thing.Making labels and doing the labeling.It is time consuming and those who aren't doing this are getting by easy.That is if they don't get caught.

There is a pretty large candle co in OH that does not label their stuff..not their refresher oil, candles, nothing..just name /scent..they have stuff in several places around here even. I don't get it..why would you take that chance and risk so much being that lazy to just not put a darn label on..to save $.05. :confused:

• 8 months later...

I just found this post while I was looking for a post on how to word warning labels for tarts. It makes me really sad to know that someone got a really bad impression coming to Iowa! It makes me want to work that much harder to change the impression! I just want all of you to know that not everyone from Iowa is like this. I started making soy tarts about six months ago and am not even close to being ready to sell them! I have been testing, testing, and testing some more. When I begin selling, I want to be really proud of the product I am offering and want people to come back for more. Like all of you have mentioned, you can't get repeat business if you don't have any information on your product. I won't even go into the liability issue because I am just beginning to research that aspect of the business. I can't imagine putting my product out there without any labeling- warning, fragrance, or business information. It just seems logical that you would include all of this on your packaging! Please know that when my tarts hit the market they will include all applicable labeling along with a business card with all my information! This is one Iowan who will not fall into the careless newbie seller category!!!!!!!!

What I want to know is how those kinda crud candles get into stores and places like that and I hear some many people on here with quality stuff that cant get in anywhere!? Confusing huh, maybe just becuase they are cheaper ? (but you pay for what you get)!

Is it possible that some of these unlabelled candles are actually cheap imports with labels removed so the consumer doesn't know they are imports? I'm in Canada, and can say I have never seen an unlabelled candle in a retail store here. We have to label for country of origin as well so the consumer knows were the product is made. I have seen unlabelled candles at craft fairs though. But they are never great looking candles, people that started selling before they really master their craft.

Cheers

Janette

I can go to Walmart and find candles without labels on them. Especially during the holiday season when they sell their funky painted pillars & things...

But let me throw this out there...if I have a hang tag & on the back of the hang tag it has the warning label on it. What if the store owner removes it at her own choice because they don't want my logo on it?

I've purchased candles before from a local candlemaker who uses warning labels on the bottom of her jar candles but only uses a business card tied with raffia to identify her company. It also give address and telephone number and the scent is on a small sticker stuck to the card that has scent typed on it. I don't mind it not having a label on the front because that way I don't have to peel it off when the jar is empty but all company info is there if you had to contact the maker.

I was surprised to see this post surface again. I was not knocking IA. I grew up there and love the State. I found unlabeled - and obviously hand made candles - in various truck stops and restaurants from VA to IA last summer. My guess was that the maker was family / friends of the store operator. We'll be heading back again in late June. This time I plan on asking questions about the candles.

Happy labeling!