Newbie here- FO's, just bought some some- hate them!

Hi,

I might be doing something wrong, as I just bought (via net) 11 2 0z FO from a reputable, but not widely used (like PEaks, ect) supplier.

I got: Birthday Cake (smells like a very strong almond oil), Coconut Lime Verbena (pure Lime), Coco-Mango (not sure about this one- not coco at all), Marshmallow (very light, has bits of white stuff sinking at bottom), coconut creme pie (smells plasticky), Angel wings (smells like pure soap), SAtin sheets (just smells bad), Beachin (smells really fakey/plasticky).

The blackberry, cotton candy, and passionate kisses are okay.

This supplier has been lightly written about on here, as having good and strong oils, but not many other comments.

Did I make a mistake in not going to a well-known company like just scents, or am I doing something wrong? I tried making a tart w/ birthday cake, and while the scent seemed strong, it was not appealing.

Thanks for your help-- I am just starting out.

First, I would contact them, and tell them just what you wrote on here. Perhaps the "problem" can be corrected. You should definately let us know how that goes.

Also- sometimes FO's smell different once you've "made" a tester or two.

IF none of these helps, you could always try selling them in the Classifieds here.

HTH ;)

Hi,

I might be doing something wrong, as I just bought (via net) 11 2 0z FO from a reputable, but not widely used (like PEaks, ect) supplier.

I got: Birthday Cake (smells like a very strong almond oil), Coconut Lime Verbena (pure Lime), Coco-Mango (not sure about this one- not coco at all), Marshmallow (very light, has bits of white stuff sinking at bottom), coconut creme pie (smells plasticky), Angel wings (smells like pure soap), SAtin sheets (just smells bad), Beachin (smells really fakey/plasticky).

This supplier has been lightly written about on here, as having good and strong oils, but not many other comments.

Did I make a mistake in not going to a well-known company like just scents, or am I doing something wrong? I tried making a tart w/ birthday cake, and while the scent seemed strong, it was not appealing.

Gosh no!! There is nothing wrong with trying less talked about companies, many are just wonderful! But sometimes a company has scents that are kinda.....gross! LOL

I would get them all in wax, and see first before throwing in the towel, I guess that is the part of this business that is not so fun--testing! I have a huge wall full of samples I have yet to test, or just hate, too. I was able to write off about 3,000 worth on last years taxes for 'items used not sold' Hey at least you can write them off! LOL

If all else fails and you just don't like the scents, you can try to sell them, or just do as I do and let them sit on a shelf for years, lol.

First, I would contact them, and tell them just what you wrote on here. Perhaps the "problem" can be corrected. You should definately let us know how that goes.

Also- sometimes FO's smell different once you've "made" a tester or two.

IF none of these helps, you could always try selling them in the Classifieds here.

HTH ;)

BEFORE you even THINK about contacting them:

Have you poured these yet? Many times the oils smell WAY different OOB than in wax. I am curious to know where you got these, because if you got them from where I think you did, many do smell like you described OOB, but totally nice in wax.

Thanks, everyone. I did make a few tarts in the birthday cake, and it still was 'off', and smelled like almond oil and plastic-- no cakey scent at all. Is this any indication? Could I be doing something wrong? Even pure fragrance oil on a light ring should smell somewhat good, shouldn't it, or am I wrong? Thanks for your help with this, I am so new.

I made jars and floaters using 2 different FOs from the same company. The apple blossom was great-- but the watermelon smelled like crayons and sugar. Yet-- the watermelon smelled great in the bottle and the apple blossom was kind of so-so. I can never tell what they will smell like til I actually put them in wax.

Just keep on trying pinkclouds. I buy FOs from different companies to test them out. So far I am having the best luck with FOs from Tradewinds. They are in S. Carolina so I don't know if that works for you.

I havent had any bad ones from Millcreek yet. Natures Garden are pretty good too! Peaks stands out because they package in the a glass bottle. The plastic bottles absorb the fragrance so out of the bottle you don't get the same effect. I found out the same problem with Buttercream from Natures Garden theirs is great. From Lonestar it is weak and oily smelling. Testers are a good resource because you lose less money. I have tried Just Scents I don't think they are as strong as the others but they have some nice scents. I do know Marshmallow is a very light scent so don't have high expectations from it. Angel Wings the closest one I found was Millcreek. I wear the perfume "Angel" which it is based off of so I could almost dab it on my skin and save the $100 for the real thing.

Thanks, everyone. I did make a few tarts in the birthday cake, and it still was 'off', and smelled like almond oil and plastic-- no cakey scent at all. Is this any indication? Could I be doing something wrong? Even pure fragrance oil on a light ring should smell somewhat good, shouldn't it, or am I wrong? Thanks for your help with this, I am so new.

It is interesting to me that you mentioned "pure fragrance oil on a light ring". I am WAY fussy about FOs and like so many here have wasted a lot of money on FOs that did not meet my expectations. I realize that it may not be the true or final test on how it will perform in wax, but if they do not pass the "light ring" or "pure FO in a tart warmer" test, these days, they certainly dont make it to my wax.I personally think it is a great way to determine if you like the scent and should be a great indication of at least how it smells. With candle nose, sometimes it really helps to "hit it with the heat" from one of the many ways to do this and go from there. In all the many FOs I have tried, the ones that were not good on a light ring were NEVER good in wax. (from back when I used to go ahead and see if putting it in wax would help)

It sounds like maybe you don't like FOs, or are very sensitive to their components. When I looked at your complaints, I've had those exact same comments about other suppliers. Foody scents that are too almond, other scents that have a plasticy base, if it smells soapy you probably got one with lavender.

Try another vendor. And vendors can have some good ones some bad ones as well. Heck, NG and BCN and CC are always raved about and are great companies, but I've gotten some real stinkers from them. Even a couple of Peak scents that people rave about and I gag over :) Eventually you find a vendor where you have more positive hits than negative hits. It's very subjective.

That's why it is only good to get samples to try them out first. Each person has there own unique smelling factor, kind of like a fingerprint. What smells good or bad to you may have the opposite effect to others. You may smell something strong, the other says they cant smell it. It is a proven fact. Every company has good and bad smells and looking for a particular hint of something, that is why there are 200 styles of Vanilla and so on. And definately test them in wax, i have a horrible smelling Raspberry, but ince its in wax, its fabulous.

Hi, thanks for your comments on this situation-- that's why it is hard to order online, unsniffed. I think I will stick with companies that offer sniffies- I did get some from Scent works, and they smelled good-- why didn't I order from them? I guess I wanted to start with some basic scents (and the price was right-- but not in the long run). Live and learn.

Just to clarify-- I used descriptors to describe-- the best I could-- the scents I got. And I didn't like them. You are right that scents are subjective, I agree- that's why everyone has their personal favorites. But I am not sensitive to fragrance- I am a fragrance addict, in a way, and can tolerate most scents, more than the average person-- I know that for sure!!

It sounds like maybe you don't like FOs, or are very sensitive to their components. When I looked at your complaints, I've had those exact same comments about other suppliers. Foody scents that are too almond, other scents that have a plasticy base, if it smells soapy you probably got one with lavender.

Try another vendor. And vendors can have some good ones some bad ones as well. Heck, NG and BCN and CC are always raved about and are great companies, but I've gotten some real stinkers from them. Even a couple of Peak scents that people rave about and I gag over :) Eventually you find a vendor where you have more positive hits than negative hits. It's very subjective.

Yep, I think I may be one of those also!! ;) Like Robin said, there are some that peeps just RAVE about and I gag on them, and then wonder what the heck is wrong with me???!! I've gotten some that smell "rotten" or like fingernail polish remover and others are just drooling over them. ??? It bugs me cuz I don't have the money to spend/waste, and I'm always thinking it's just ME. :rolleyes:

I've yet to find a difference by putting them in wax, don't whip me anyone, but it's true, if I don't like it OOB or by dabbing on my skin lightly, I WILL NOT LIKE IT IN WAX-but that's just ME.

Oh, and you can always sell those FO's (the ones you don't like) in the classifieds here, I'm sure there are those that love them. ;)

Yep, I am with Mike on this one too. I might have missed out on some good scents by not waxing the ones that I didn't like, but wax is expensive to get to Alaska. I do a lot of testing on a lot of FO's, so one that doesn't pass the pre-wax test, doenst go. I make an exception if it is a FO that has gotten a lot of buzz. Then I will wax it and see if it changes for me. I have only had one that I actually did like after I waxed it. All the others, my nose has been true. Now, if wax was easier and cheaper for me to get, I might handle it differently : )

It just happens that you'll get Fos that you just don't like or that don't throw for you. I ordered a few samples the other day and one smelled like butt to me (no kidding :lipsrseal ). I just can't believe that this supplier would choose to carry a FO that stinks this bad, so I am determined to cover my nose and put it in wax to see if it smells better, lol. But really, there are just FOs that are not strong or just don't smell like what you expected. That's why most of us buy tons of samples, lol.

Yep, butt, and I got one last week that I swear smells just like CAT PEE PEE!! :lipsrseal

And yet, others here are ravin' about it. :eek: LOL I even went back and sniffed and sniffed it, and there aint NO way in heck I'm doing anything with that but taping it up and sticking it in the classys. :eek:

Just make sure you don't sell it to me, cuz I might have to hurt cha!! LOL

Nothing worse (except for maybe smelling butt out of a bottle LOL) than cat pee smell!! :lipsrseal :lipsrseal

It is interesting to me that you mentioned "pure fragrance oil on a light ring". I am WAY fussy about FOs and like so many here have wasted a lot of money on FOs that did not meet my expectations. I realize that it may not be the true or final test on how it will perform in wax, but if they do not pass the "light ring" or "pure FO in a tart warmer" test, these days, they certainly dont make it to my wax.I personally think it is a great way to determine if you like the scent and should be a great indication of at least how it smells. With candle nose, sometimes it really helps to "hit it with the heat" from one of the many ways to do this and go from there. In all the many FOs I have tried, the ones that were not good on a light ring were NEVER good in wax. (from back when I used to go ahead and see if putting it in wax would help)

I'm really glad you posted this! I bought a couple of samples to try in B&B products & the supplier said the oil would smell different in a product than in the bottle. To me the scents were awful & I put a little in my oil burner & it was still terrible. I never put it in the B&B product & then had second thoughts about it but am now glad I didn't waste time & $ to do so.

Hi,

Well my nose isn't that worldly. I tend not to smell 'notes' and it really irritates me. It could just be the ones you chose, though, or the supplier.