The Bulging Candle Test

Hi All!

I've been doing a candle test over the past couple weeks, on behalf of MargaritaMama!

This test was to show that by adding stearic acid to the wax, you can burn a pillar all the way without it bulging around the melt pool. It also consumes itself with no cupping needed.

I did no cupping at all. I just wish I would have seen that tiny piece of burned wick stuck to the bottom of the candle before taking all these pictures. Oh well...

The recipe for this 6" x 3" pillar candle is exactly as follows:

23 oz. 1343A Wax

3 Tablespoons Stearic Acid

1.40 oz. Peaks Spring Rain FO

1 Drop Blue Liquid Color

30 ply wick

Poured into a warm mold at 185 degrees.

I used no UV in this test, but have many times before with no difference in the outcome.

These pictures were taken every 3 to 4 hours.

post-1512-139458400263_thumb.jpg

post-1512-139458400266_thumb.jpg

post-1512-139458400268_thumb.jpg

post-1512-139458400271_thumb.jpg

post-1512-139458400274_thumb.jpg

Great colors! :highfive:

You have a fine burn going on there. Fantastic example of how a pillar should burn when wicked correctly. Thank you for sharing.

I don't use UV either. To me it's a waste. Who stores their candles on a window sill? I know people do it, but that is ridiculous in my opinion.

Very nice experiment. This should be of help to many who have been having a hard time with making mottles. Everyone.....give her a big hand!!!!! Follow her directions and you will make perfect candles too. Donita

I don't use UV either. To me it's a waste. Who stores their candles on a window sill? I know people do it, but that is ridiculous in my opinion.

I use it too...you should see some of my mauve, blue and purple candles that I didn't use it with! LOL

Great burn on that candle! Job well done!!

Yes, these are pics after a 3 to 4 hr burn.

I didn't include pic #1. It was really bad quality and was also taken from the side, so it didn't show the melt pool. So I didn't include it.

I do think that pic #5 was after a 6 or more hr burn. I do remember forgetting to take one of the pics after 4 hrs so I took it later that evening.

Candle Man: you can get 120 hrs off a 6 inch pillar? What's your formula? Please share with us!

Oh well... can't say I didn't try.

All I can say is expermint with additives, you could come up with a longer burning candle.

ETA - Wicking can also play a role in burn time. Either try a different kind or different size, you can still get a complete burn like you got going on there.

1343/stearic mottles would presumably have a balanced burn and not bulge if the rate of wax consumption was high enough, but that would be a pretty tall flame.

Your candle is burning down rather fast, so I wonder how big the flame is when you first light it and whether you're trimming the wick before each lighting. We're only seeing the end of the burn when the wick has gotten a bit flooded with melting wax and the flame has died down.

The burn times Candle Man is talking about are normal and I get the same. The rate of consumption is below 6g/hr. Yours is well above that and the wax can't just disappear, so I reckon there is a lot of fire going on.

Thank you Regina. Excellent mottle on that one, and the color is gorgeous!

I appreciate all the work you've put into this experiment.

I do have to agree with Top on this one. Your burn looks fabulous, but it does seems to be burning down rather fast. I use exactly the same formula with my 1343A, but I don't get nearly as good a burn, but I've unfortunately never got it all the way down to be able to tell you how long it burns.

Here is what mine look like after the third 3 hour burn. The bulge is very evident, and it just gets worse as the burn continues.... I've tried to burn it for 5 hours straight, but the sidewall just starts to almost fold over. Much too ugly for my liking......

post-1101-139458400309_thumb.jpg

Great colors! :highfive:

You have a fine burn going on there. Fantastic example of how a pillar should burn when wicked correctly. Thank you for sharing.

If you sell your products, you should use UV. In many instances store owners put candles in window displays and under bright lights, no matter what you tell them.