700 premier wick testing

How is everyone doing with there premier 700 series wick samples? I am having a heck of a time with mine. I am using 415 soy with a tablespoons if B/W per pound. That's what was suggested to me to start. As of yet I have tried most of the larger wick sizes for a 8 oz. wide mouth mason jar. As of yet, I have not had very good melt pool and no hot throw. Is that weird or what. I taken the same 2 candles to work with me since last sunday and tested everyday in the break room. One was a jellie jar and the other was the 8 oz wide mouth jar. All the girls were putting their nose in the jar while burning to find out the scent. Well yesterday I changed back to my cotton core wicks the 51, 60 and 62 sizes is all I have ever used. And you could smell the scent out in the hallway. They didn't have to put their noses in the jar to get the scent. I really like the premier wicks, a great wick if you ask me. So my question is what the heck am I doing wrong? Well anyway after all this testing I asked my self yesterday what the heck am I doing. I am hopefully going to change waxes to CB 135 when all the 415 is gone. So why am I not testing witht the cb 135 to start with? DUH!!! Well any way I guess if I was to answer my own question about the wicks and the wax " If it Ain't broke don't fix it" Any suggestions anybody on what the heck am I doing wrong with the premier wicks. Thanks for letting me vent. Christi

I really wanted to love this wick (I really did) after reading all the great reviews (and there were a multitude of them), however, while the scent throw was EXCELLENT (so I can't comment on the problem that you are having), there was simply unacceptable amounts of sooting and black smoke, that I wasn't getting with other wicks (eco, cotton core) using the same variables. I tried wicking down, changing the levels of FO and, nothing. This wick seems, in my testing, to soot far too much for my liking.

Again, I wanted to love it, after having read all the reviews, and considering the fact that you could get about 1,000 for around $30 (great price point), however, I simply couldn't get them to work.

I've not yet quite given up, but, I'm close to it.

So far I've tested the following with very good results. 2 1/2 inch roly poly, votive glasses, 3 inch DOF, 3 1/4 DOF 3 inch roly poly. All using Ecosoya CB Advanced. I had excellent HT using a Rose of Sharon and Love Spell Mix. No sooting or mushrooming on any of the tests.

I tested a 2x6 pillar using Ecosya PB but I had a blow out with a 755. I refuse to give up on these little pillars and so I will probably try other waxes after I add a little beeswax to the ecosoya pb.

HTH

:)

There definitely is a correlation between wick size and FO throw. I had been testing GL 70/30 with the melting pot jar using 2 x 740 and got great throw, but not quite cleaning the jar and the wicks were drowning after 2/3 of candle was consumed. When I wicked up to the 745, I had great MP, and good hot throw but it smelled different, almost a burned scorched smell. I can't single wick the melting pot jar, and I really like the Premier 700s, so I'm going to try some cottons and HTPs in the 70/30. Haven't yet tested the wicks in soy, but that is my next project.

geek

Geek I know what you are talking about and I am glad I am not the only one who smells it. I use the same jars. I had to wick up to a 760 because my wicks were drowing with my 740's and 750's. I threw in a little BW too. It burns perfectly but the smell is off. You smell it in the wax after it has cooled too. I tried to repour and rewick a few candles and had to throw them out because of the smell. I am now skeptical about these. I have had good luck with the CD's and ECO's with these jars. I use two HTP 104's or 105's with the 16 oz. Willing to try ECO's and CD's. I did give up on the 24 oz because I decided not to use such a big jar. On the 10 oz a CD or ECO 10 or 12 works well depending on the FO I use.

So we three agree that it has a burnt smell? Come to think of it I have been burning a Chocolate kiss double wicked soy 415 candle. I am not getting a strong FO throw from the burn. I know its a strong scent especially because its a chocolate and its from Millcreek. I haven't met a scent from there that didn't burn good. I think I will stick with the ones I am familiar with most. I am not giving my candles to someone with a burning smell. I have wicked up and down and get the same smell. I also notice they pop and sizzle when I light them.

I also tried these....they were so very generous with their sample pack!

Tested with Greenleaf 70/30 - had black soot/smoke, minimal hot throw and the sizzle/fizz sounds :shocked2: No burnt smell, at least to my nose. I also really wanted these to work but I am back to my beloved zinc!

Ok, I wonder what's up. I'm testing these right now with the GL 70/30 blend and it has not sooted yet. I haven't done a complete burn on any of the jars, just about halfway so far. The scent throw is awesome. It looks like a healthy flame so far and fmp. I'm really liking these wicks but I'll keep testing and see if I can the results you all are talking about.

I too have to add my 2 cents in here,,,,I have been smelling a burnt smell too and thought it was my wax, but when I changed back to zinc wicks it stopped and the throw was better. Also these mushroomed worse then my Zincs ever did,,,I personally do not care for these wicks,,+ I used the 798 in the 464 and it still hung up a wee bit,,,If I have to wick with 2 wicks I will stay with my zinc or keep with the HTP 1312,,,;)

Edited to add: I didnt have to much problems with sooting,,just the mushrooming

I have not had any of those problems except the slight burnt smell and I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. I use 415 straight. I was wondering if those that use the 70/30 wouldn't be better off with the 600 series? I really want to like these wicks, but I don't think that I can carry just them. I haven't had any problem with the hot throw, though I did notice when I tested them with a parasoy I did not get a good scent throw out of Vanilla Velvet, which normally I can smell through my whole house.

There definitely is a correlation between wick size and FO throw. I had been testing GL 70/30 with the melting pot jar using 2 x 740 and got great throw, but not quite cleaning the jar and the wicks were drowning after 2/3 of candle was consumed. When I wicked up to the 745, I had great MP, and good hot throw but it smelled different, almost a burned scorched smell. I can't single wick the melting pot jar, and I really like the Premier 700s, so I'm going to try some cottons and HTPs in the 70/30. Haven't yet tested the wicks in soy, but that is my next project.

geek

Hi Geekrunner,

I've been gone for a while and haven't been able to check the board, but I ordered 5 cases of the 464 based on what everybody has said about it and I couldn't wait or afford the expensive wax I was using.

Now I see that you are all trying a GL 70/30. Where is that from and which wax do you like better? The 464 or the GL 70/30?

My findings on the 464 is that if they get a good week to cure they are stronger. Every day when I check the candles they are stronger the next day even 5 days down the road.

I also got the wick samples from Wickit and now I am not hearing very good things about those either.

They are a darn good price...too bad!

Thanks for your response,

FO Lover

Hi Geekrunner,

I've been gone for a while and haven't been able to check the board, but I ordered 5 cases of the 464 based on what everybody has said about it and I couldn't wait or afford the expensive wax I was using.

Now I see that you are all trying a GL 70/30. Where is that from and which wax do you like better? The 464 or the GL 70/30?

My findings on the 464 is that if they get a good week to cure they are stronger. Every day when I check the candles they are stronger the next day even 5 days down the road.

I also got the wick samples from Wickit and now I am not hearing very good things about those either.

They are a darn good price...too bad!

Thanks for your response,

FO Lover

THe 464 is nice, but it performs more like a soy wax than the 70/30 does, imho. It frosts and needs to cure longer, but it does have a great throw. It is also much cheaper to ship to me than the G/L wax is. The GL sets up very nice. I had great hot and cold throw after a short curing time and very few wetspots that didn't even appear until after I burned the candle. It also colored very nicely. But, I'm testing JS 50/50 now and probably won't be using the 464 or the 70/30.

THe 464 is nice, but it performs more like a soy wax than the 70/30 does, imho. It frosts and needs to cure longer, but it does have a great throw. It is also much cheaper to ship to me than the G/L wax is. The GL sets up very nice. I had great hot and cold throw after a short curing time and very few wetspots that didn't even appear until after I burned the candle. It also colored very nicely. But, I'm testing JS 50/50 now and probably won't be using the 464 or the 70/30.[/quote)

OH!

Let us know how the two waxes compare; js 50/50 and GL 70/30 :)! I have been using the KY125 and love it, but need a blended wax for my line, too. I already order from JS, so if it is a good wax, I could easily order it. I am very hesitant to even try the GL until I see that the inconsistancies are resolved. I have had several companies discontinue waxes on me in the past, (after all the work of testing every scent in every jar) and NEVER want to go through that again. I know with JS they are a bigger company and I don't worry as much.

THe 464 is nice, but it performs more like a soy wax than the 70/30 does, imho. It frosts and needs to cure longer, but it does have a great throw. It is also much cheaper to ship to me than the G/L wax is. The GL sets up very nice. I had great hot and cold throw after a short curing time and very few wetspots that didn't even appear until after I burned the candle. It also colored very nicely. But, I'm testing JS 50/50 now and probably won't be using the 464 or the 70/30.[/quote)

OH!

Let us know how the two waxes compare; js 50/50 and GL 70/30 :)! I have been using the KY125 and love it, but need a blended wax for my line, too. I already order from JS, so if it is a good wax, I could easily order it. I am very hesitant to even try the GL until I see that the inconsistancies are resolved. I have had several companies discontinue waxes on me in the past, (after all the work of testing every scent in every jar) and NEVER want to go through that again. I know with JS they are a bigger company and I don't worry as much.

Using a supplier wax was also a worry for me, but I don't think that JS would be quick to discontinue a wax. I am really liking their 50/50 so far. It's throwing really well and colors nicely. No frosting at all and has a really smooth top after pouring and after burning. It performs well and I will very likley go with this wax. Sab and Jordan on here also use it if you want more opinions from people who have been using it longer. :)

THe 464 is nice, but it performs more like a soy wax than the 70/30 does, imho. It frosts and needs to cure longer, but it does have a great throw. It is also much cheaper to ship to me than the G/L wax is. The GL sets up very nice. I had great hot and cold throw after a short curing time and very few wetspots that didn't even appear until after I burned the candle. It also colored very nicely. But, I'm testing JS 50/50 now and probably won't be using the 464 or the 70/30.

The GL wax to me because shipping is so expensive comes to $1.70 a pound!

I can't even begin to afford those kinds of prices. I'm in the NW and Texas has a terrrible hub for shipping things.

FO Lover

The GL wax to me because shipping is so expensive comes to $1.70 a pound!

I can't even begin to afford those kinds of prices. I'm in the NW and Texas has a terrrible hub for shipping things.

FO Lover

Call Gateway and get a quote for the 464. They gave me an amazing quote. Their info is in one of the 464 threads, but if you search for Gateway, you should be able to find it.

I've had no problem with these wicks in the little bit of testing I have done with them. I have tested them in the 449 and haven't had any mushrooming nor do I smell that burnt smell. I did smell a burnt smell when I tested with the ECO wicks. I haven't tested them though in the wax I am currently using. Now I am curious to see how they will perfom in that wax. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Now I too am wondering if I might just go with the JS 50/50 if I can find who carries it and the shipping doesn't kill me.

I know my customers love the fact that I'm using all natural soy wax the 464.

Rhonda

I also have had no problem with these wicks. I have actually had better luck with them then I was having with the HTP's. I use 16 oz Wide Mouth Masons I currently am using GW 444 and peaks oils. I have found I am able to single wick these jars with either a 793 or a 795, depending on the scent I am using. I have had no problem with sooting or with a burnt smell at all. I'm going to do some more testing with them and if the results hold they will probabally be the wicks I stick with. I just wish I could order them in smaller quantities then 1000 wicks at a time.

Now I too am wondering if I might just go with the JS 50/50 if I can find who carries it and the shipping doesn't kill me.

I know my customers love the fact that I'm using all natural soy wax the 464.

Rhonda

JS 50/50 is available at www.justscent.com I've been testing this for the last few weeks and it looks nice and has a really great throw. It wicks very more like a paraffin than soy, which is nice. If you don't mind using a blend, it's worth testing :)

:cool: I am still waiting to get my sample wicks for testing...:cry2:

Got an email asking for help with shipping, but still have not gotten wicks...

Said they were shipped out last month... Never received...(so sad)....

Yes I did email the company last week and waiting to hear back.

ETS... I think I am cursed with shipping problems...