Hand wax???

I did a home party yesterday, and one lady asked me if I recommended dipping your hand in the melted wax...hmmm??? I wasn't sure what to say, so I told her no, I don't. She said "well, I know another lady who does this candle thing and she highly recommended dipping your hand in the melted wax after you blow out the flame on the candle." Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

She may have been talking about what they call a paraffin dip that some therapists & spas may use to help with softening & exfoliating the skin. I just had a chiropractic appointment on Saturday, and my doc asked if I wanted one, but I turned it down. This customer may have thought that she can just pour some on her skin & it would be the same thing.

I don't do soy, but I've seen a lot of people here discussing this. Where they've had people come to them at fairs and parties asking if their candles are good for that too. I don't remember who, but one said there was another candle booth there where they did that with soy ???

I have not heard of anyone doing this with candle wax. some suppliers sell an item that is a parafin dip. But it is specially made for hand dipping using the warmer thingys that were very popular around Christmas time. I would not suggest making a canlde out of it though.

I pulled a couple threads from the old board. They're pretty interesting. Soy lotion candles are apparently popular, even if many are unsafe :sad2:

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1109400958;start=

A couple intersting site that sell lotion candles...

http://www.lava-lotion.com/index.html This is almost scary :shocked2:

This one claims they are soy oil candles with NO wax, hmm...

http://www.heavenessence.com/

This one says the candle melts at just 2 degrees above body temp...

http://www.gourmetathome.net/catalog/the-pantry-candles.htm

<<<<This one says the candle melts at just 2 degrees above body temp...>>>

I bet those didn't make it through their first summer! ;)

Those paraffin dips are obviously a super-low melt wax. I've accidentally spilled candle wax onto my hand while pouring. There is no way in he** I'll ever submerge my whole hand in that pot!:shocked2:

<<<<This one says the candle melts at just 2 degrees above body temp...>>>

I bet those didn't make it through their first summer! ;)

Those paraffin dips are obviously a super-low melt wax. I've accidentally spilled candle wax onto my hand while pouring. There is no way in he** I'll ever submerge my whole hand in that pot!:shocked2:

hey Dev maybe we can market it here for facelifts lol

have people dip their faces into it to get wrkinkles out :laugh2:

The hand dip things are not really all that hot. My aunt got my mom one for Christmas. You turn it on high to melt the dip and then turn it to low for I think an hour or something before you dip your hands. You let it harden and peel it off and throw it back in the pot. It is not very sanitary if you ask me. I does soften the hands though.

One my friends owns a beauty salon and she used this thing she got at walmart that you put a special kind of wax (don't know what kind it was a pale pink color) in it and melt it on low and she used it for doing manicures and pedicures. When she was doing my hair one day, she wanted me to try it and I declined. Just wasn't appealing to me and it is used by several people before the wax is changed. Seems very unsanitary to me also.:eek:

The wax treatments from the salon are not really special wax. If you go to most beauty supply stores they sell it there. But it is just paraffin wax with some color and "essential oils", most are just scents. On the list of ingredients it will just say "Paraffin, tea tree, Lavender," or whatever scent it is. You just put it in warmer when it has melted you dip your hands quickly, pull them out, and wrap them for like 15 minutes. The heat is supposed to be good for sore joints.

When some of the others were discussing this before they were saying people with soy that were informing customers it is ok to put the wax on their skin, would have to label where the wax was from and not use colors either. The paraffin treatment wax doesn't do this and paraffin is not good to put on your skin at all. I don't know why soy users would have to be so careful.

I got curious and stuck my fingers in one of my soy candles and rubbed it in.... um yeah, really sticky and not at all softening, I dont know why anyone would do this on the regular basis.

If paraffin is supposed to loosen dead skin on your hands arnt your peeling alot of it off with the wax and throwing it back in the pot, EWW.

The wax treatments from the salon are not really special wax. If you go to most beauty supply stores they sell it there. But it is just paraffin wax with some color and "essential oils", most are just scents. On the list of ingredients it will just say "Paraffin, tea tree, Lavender," or whatever scent it is. You just put it in warmer when it has melted you dip your hands quickly, pull them out, and wrap them for like 15 minutes. The heat is supposed to be good for sore joints.

When some of the others were discussing this before they were saying people with soy that were informing customers it is ok to put the wax on their skin, would have to label where the wax was from and not use colors either. The paraffin treatment wax doesn't do this and paraffin is not good to put on your skin at all. I don't know why soy users would have to be so careful.

Why is parafin not good to put on your skin???? *off to google to search!*