Ice Candles

Jaye

Hi All! :cheesy2:

I found the recipe/technique for these on an English candlemaking website and thought they looked pretty cool. Mine don't look nearly as good as theirs... but they're so easy and fun to make! The lacy/holey pattern is made simply by filling a mold (with a wick-pin) with ice cubes and pouring melted wax over. Once the wax has hardened, you unmold it and pour the water out. They do need to dry out overnight before wicking and burning though. The yellow one is scented lemongrass sage and the brown one sandalwood.

[ATTACH]5659[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5658[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5657[/ATTACH]

post-2345-139458397672_thumb.jpg

post-2345-139458397675_thumb.jpg

post-2345-139458397678_thumb.jpg

They do have a nice look.

IMO Ice candles will not burn very well. Once they start burning the wax pool will leak out of the holes. Also when the wick hits one of these air pocket holes the wick will tunnel down and drown out.

IMO to keep that look but still have it burnable pour it with a glass votive hloder in the mold. First place the glass votive holder in the mold upside down then very carefully put in the ice so as not to move the holder then pour as normal.

You can also do this with a 2" mini pillar or taper candle insert. With this method insert center candle wick up out of the top of the mold. The end that is normally the bottom of a finished pillar candle. Then add ice then pour wax.

You're right grasshopper... it does look like cheese! It never occurred to me until you mentioned it! :grin2:

To be honest Candle Man, I haven't burned one of these yet. I made the mistake with the first one I made, of wicking it immediately after I unmolded it. The wick became wet and just would not burn no matter what I did or how hard I hoped and wished and prayed! :tongue2: The website did mention using a taper candle as the wick, or pre-waxing the wick before molding. I used a wick pin so I couldn't but an upside-down votive holder inside. I think I will try using your idea of the taper though for the next one. Thanks! Will let you know how these ones burn. :)

Just one word of caution. I made these a few years ago and gave one to a friend. Somehow a small bit of water got trapped and when the wick burned in it's vicinity it went "POW" and blew hot wax all over the place! It was the only one I had a problem with but one was enough for me!:(

Sheryl Nor Cal

Rock on !~!

That was the 2nd candle I ever made, over 20 years ago. In an empty half gallon milk container. :shocked2:

I used 2 colors of wax. I flipped it over and leveled it out on an electric frypan. (remember those?) Then I carved out a small indentation in the top and put a small ceramic tile in the center so you could burn a tealight inside of it. No wick- kind of like a forever candle.

Those were the days.... I had so much more time on my hands. :wink2:

You could always load your mold up with a wicked 2 inch pillar candle and then put your ice in and pour the shell around the center candle. Would burn nicer, maybe not to the edge, but you get the idea. I have heard of people using a taper candle for the center also, but I think the 2 inch would be great. Bruce

Yeah the test is how badly it will leak lol. But something else you could try creating is reinserting the candle into a mold and pouring in another color.
I love the sounds of that and will try it out - some amazing coloured effects could result.

All of you were right... these burn horribly!!!! :o I tried out the yellow one last night... using a 24 ply flat-braided wick, it burned down to a heaping mess in a matter of five seconds flat. The melting wax came out of every single hole and sizzled and sparked as it did. Luckily, (thanks to your warnings) I had it sitting on a large plate, so there was no major catastrophe... it just went straight back into the melting pot for the next experiment! :D

With the first couple I made, I put them back into their molds and poured another color over and they looked great! These didn't burn well either though because there was water trapped inside the holes. I guess this type of candle needs a loooooooooooooooong time to dry out. I was going to give up the idea entirely until I read your post, Bruce. That's a great idea about using a small pillar inside a larger mold and surrounding the pillar with ice before pouring the melted wax. I couldn't wait to try it, so have a pillar setting as we speak! :grin2:

Thanks for warning me of the dangers and for the suggestions, guys! :)

I used to do the ice candles all the time. What I did was drill out the inside so as to get all the places the water was hiding and this let all the cavities made by the ice to fill up with the second color of wax once you put the candle back into the mold. Made kind of a mess but 4 or 5 passes with a medium sized drill bit and you have it. Just don't go all the way to the bottom or out the sides. You can feel the drill go thru the cavities as you go down.

Soja

I think they look cool. I guess like what everyone else is saying you would have to burn them carefully, but you have burn all candles carefully. I like them, if I saw them at a sale I would buy them. Nice job:yay:

jenn

We used to make them when we were kids from a half gallon milk carton with the top cut off. I'm 54 now, so that tells you how long ago that was! LOL

I don't remember ever trying to burn one, but it seems like with all the holes in it, it wouldn't burn very well. They would make great looking centerpiece candles with maybe some ribbons tied around them and floral draped around the bottoms.

:cool2: