I wanna paint the floor

Hi gang. As you all know, I've sold all my stuff. Here's the kicker, My candle making efforts were done in the basement (on a painted cement floor) I have scraped all the lumps and bumps off the fl;oor but there is still wax residue on the floor. Paint will never stick to these areas. HOW DO I GET IT OFF????

Hi gang. As you all know, I've sold all my stuff. Here's the kicker, My candle making efforts were done in the basement (on a painted cement floor) I have scraped all the lumps and bumps off the fl;oor but there is still wax residue on the floor. Paint will never stick to these areas. HOW DO I GET IT OFF????

I know it's going to pita but try rubbing alcohol....it's cheaper then laying another concrete floor....:grin2:

I don't believe rubbing alcohol will work. You can use a solvent containing Xylene (brand name in the States is Goof Off for instance) or mineral spirits. It will completely dissolve the wax as well as the paint.

Please open windows and/or use a fan so your wife doesn't have to drag you out by your feet.

You might want to use a heat gun and paper towel first to minimize the residue.

I don't believe rubbing alcohol will work. You can use a solvent containing Xylene (brand name in the States is Goof Off for instance) or mineral spirits. It will completely dissolve the wax as well as the paint.

Please open windows and/or use a fan so your wife doesn't have to drag you out by your feet.

You might want to use a heat gun and paper towel first to minimize the residue.

Works for me on my concrete floor :D I use the 90% or whatever comes in the red label at wallyworld

Top ... Do you mean Oops! or is there a remover called Goof Off also?

Tucker ... Don't you think it would be easier to make candles instead of refinishing your floor? :D

Yes there's a product called Goof Off and I'm sure other similar ones based on Xylene. Petroleum solvents like mineral spirits would work too. The idea here is that you need something that completely dissolves the wax. Any residue and the paint may not stick well. So I figure remove the excess with heat gun and paper towel, then get the rest with solvent. Someone mentioned WD-40, but I think that may not be ideal because it leaves a residue of its own. If you use the right solvent it completely evaporates and leaves nothing.

Hey ya'll, thanks for all the ideas. My neighbor came over and suggested I use the little torch thing (you know the one where you screw the bottle onto the different tips) well sir (and ladies) I've got one here and it works great, same as a heat gun only it has a flame, it's gonna all come off with paper towels for sure.

HEY SATIN, where ya been for the last few weeks, yep, I sold every thing, gonna sit back, do some fishin and take life easy, hell I got enough candles here to last me and momma the rest of our lives for sure, NICE TO SEE YOU BACK SATIN

I would have to think you could use a degreaser and a scrub brush attached to a broom handle or a push broom then mop it up. Though I don't know you, I can't imagine using a torch and paper towels can be good for you. Thats alot of time on your knees.

Hey ya'll, thanks for all the ideas. My neighbor came over and suggested I use the little torch thing (you know the one where you screw the bottle onto the different tips) well sir (and ladies) I've got one here and it works great, same as a heat gun only it has a flame, it's gonna all come off with paper towels for sure.

HEY SATIN, where ya been for the last few weeks, yep, I sold every thing, gonna sit back, do some fishin and take life easy, hell I got enough candles here to last me and momma the rest of our lives for sure, NICE TO SEE YOU BACK SATIN

LOL I use a torch and scraper to clean my floor all the time, works the best IMHO. What you cant suck up with a paper towel when it melts, you just blast it again and vaporize the wax. Torching the outside of some candles is fun also. Bruce