How many are doing this full time??

tootie04

Sorry, had to add to the "mystery":

http://www.moosetimbercandles.com/

We would invite you to take a moment to visit our unique line of individually hand poured decadently scented Soy Wax candles.

Moose Timber Candle Company uses 100% natural Soy Wax and all natural wicks to create a superior quality candle.

Whether burning or just sitting in your room, our soy candles are sure to fill the air with a heavenly aroma.

We feel we have created a unique line of products which we stand by with great pride.

So whether you are just discovering Moose Timber Candles for the first time or a long-time friend, we encourage you to... experience the difference of a Moose Timber Soy Wax Candle!

Once you have experienced the splendid fragrances and long burn times of our soy candles, we're sure you will be back again and again!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My site is in the development stages at this point, and I swear to you, my copy is going to be dotted in expletives to make sure people won't want to steal it.

"Our lotion will moisturize the crack of your ass like NO other, and you can bank on it"

I'm not a Grumpy Girl for nuttin'.

lol...you rock grumpy!:grin2:

MINE TOO Grumpy... I think I'll do my air freshener like this:

"WE have the best crapper spray that your nose has ever had the pleasure of being exposed to. There isn't a turd in the world that can compete with this fantastic scent"

:bow:

You are my hero sista!

MINE TOO Grumpy... I think I'll do my air freshener like this:

"WE have the best crapper spray that your nose has ever had the pleasure of being exposed to. There isn't a turd in the world that can compete with this fantastic scent"

Man...after 2 days of corned beef and cabbage for St. Pat's Day...I gotta have some of that!:laugh2:

OMG...you gals crack me up (grumpy girl and prairieannie)! Funny thing is...there's probably someone out there that would want to copy your "very original" descriptions. LOL

So true. I've been using this disclaimer on my personal site for years and I haven't seen it anywhere else yet. I'm sure that will change eventually.

http://www.greeneyedmonster.net/index.php/weblog/disclaimer/

This kind of stuff happens all the time, which is why I ALWAYS check my site pages to make sure no one else is copying. I check about once a month.

How do you do this? I'm sure no one would copy my site, as there's nothing fancy to it, but just curious how to check on this.

Grumpy Girl, you are so original! I wish I had hired you to write the copy for my site. :laugh2:

go to www.copyscape.com

You can put in any URL on any page of your site...you have to put in the URL of the page you want to check (including the http:// part). It will check the internet for you, and then you can click on the links, and it will highlight the parts of the page that are the same as yours. It is pretty cool :)

HTH

Katie

Seems I kicked an ant bed eh? I am not upset.. feathers were a bit ruffled last night that it was so blatant.. but I know how the internet works and once something is put online it is fair game it seems. I used to go chase down people who copied my site (and the list is MUCH longer than what you all found) but found in the big realm of things it just doesn't matter.

To answer the question of who had the text first.. my opening page was compiled from a mixture of thoughts I had written down over time (I still have the notebook full in my file)... that was collected from magazines, brochures and web reading. When I sat down to write my opening page I built paragraphs around thoughts and ideas I had scribbled down.. to be sure in the end my page would be unique.... and I know at the beginning it was.. because of all this. So I know which was first in this case... and all my originals were printed, sealed and mailed to myself.. and now are up for safe keeping. :) I'm actually a graphic artist/webpage designer.. I know how to cover my bum.

Oh well.. I guess it's time to redo my site anyway... and give everyone some fresh, new material. ROFL :)

Have a great day!!!

Chele

go to www.copyscape.com

You can put in any URL on any page of your site...you have to put in the URL of the page you want to check (including the http:// part). It will check the internet for you, and then you can click on the links, and it will highlight the parts of the page that are the same as yours. It is pretty cool :)

HTH

Katie

That is a great site!! :grin2:

I will be using it often..

Thanks for sharing!! :wink2:

No matter who had it first, that is a bummer. I feel bad for both of you. One of you got your wording stolen, the other got taken for a ride( and not only by her sister). It is hard when you are starting out and relying on other people to help you. I guess now I will really pay attention to who I hire and have help me design my site. There is no room for plagarisim, but one would have to think, how did all three sites have the same layout and info?? I would contact DIY and let them know about the situation, cause what I was reading is that once you purchase the webset it is sold so that everyone is original. Maybe I just read that wrong and between the lines it stated that all is free game...lol who knows. Think maybe I will go get creative with my wording of the soy benefits.

So i can add it to mine.:D . There is software that keep people from copying anything on a web page but i do not know how it works.

At this point there is really nothing 100& foolproof to keep people grabbing stuff from your web site... trust me I know this stuff ;) There is pretty much no image or text that can't be gotten.. one way or another.. just depends on the skill of the thief.

CW - I'll just email you a copy of my new text .. that way you can just get it direct :)) I'm off to pour a couple wholesale orders and start on a fundraiser.. so I can have the weekend off.

Have a fabulous day!!!

Chele

It's hard to come up with totally new, original, fresh wording. We're all trying to communicate similar ideas, of course, so we're bound to have a few similarities. But what I did was to NOT visit too many other chandler/soaper sites before I wrote my website text. That way I wouldn't subconsciously be influenced by others before I wrote. :)

Now that my website's done, I feel a little more freedom to go and oogle others' sites because I enjoy seeing the work of other handcrafters! :)

Hope that helps. :)

ETA: Whoops, my comments were after reflecting on Hewell's post ... Chele sneaked one in between us. My bad -- shoulda quoted! Sorry for any confusion. :-) Hope you guys get everything worked out with your websites. :-)

Not to add fuel to the fire BUT, it seems like it's always some one elses fault. If you are going to be responsible enough to play with hot wax or lye, own a business and a web site, then it is your responsibility to check what is going out to the public. I would be past angry if I were copied. All this coming from some one who doesn't have a business or a web site yet.:tiptoe:

Thank you Crafty_1,

I didn't mean anything by the soy benefits line...it really was just a joke how much can you really do with that. It is all the same basic information no matter how it is worded. I am currently working on my website and I too have tried really hard to stay off other candlemakers sites for that very reason...though I do catch myself when someone says check this out, I just can't help it...LOL. Let me tell you I sure do love thesaurus.com I want my site to be just that mine though I have to admit I am terrible with words, so once I know what I want to say I find key words and look for alternate words that are more customer friendly, but still yet on the track of the sales pitch.

Please don't get me wrong, what happened was terrible, but I think it could have been approached in a different manner. JMO,maybe I am just to nice of a person for this line of business.

Full time here also. I'm hoping once my youngest son starts Kindergarten in August I'll be able to set up a shop here where I live. Right now I sell out of my workroom in my house (that's way too crowded like it is) and I'm not crazy about strangers coming in to my home (especially when my kids are here). So my husband and I are planning on building a shop this Fall when Jacob starts school. :D Nothing fancy. Just something I can set up to display my products and such.

Thank you Crafty_1,

I didn't mean anything by the soy benefits line...it really was just a joke how much can you really do with that. It is all the same basic information no matter how it is worded. I am currently working on my website and I too have tried really hard to stay off other candlemakers sites for that very reason...though I do catch myself when someone says check this out, I just can't help it...LOL. Let me tell you I sure do love thesaurus.com I want my site to be just that mine though I have to admit I am terrible with words, so once I know what I want to say I find key words and look for alternate words that are more customer friendly, but still yet on the track of the sales pitch.

Please don't get me wrong, what happened was terrible, but I think it could have been approached in a different manner. JMO,maybe I am just to nice of a person for this line of business.

Oh, no offense whatsoever taken by me. :) I hope I didn't come across as offended, or as lecturing up on my soapbox. It was sort of general thoughts not aimed at anyone in particular. It's just that what you said got me to thinking, and caused me to get all reflective-like. LOL Actually, it sounds like we agree -- it's hard to come up with TOTALLY new stuff! Still, plagarism is all over the net, sadly ... :undecided Well, I know you'll do your best. :)

go to www.copyscape.com

HTH

Katie

Holy S**!!!

Excuse me...I have a few site owners to email now! GGGGRRRR!!!!