How many are doing this full time??

tootie04

Wow, hate to have to bump this thread back up, but now it seems Whispering Pines (tootie04's site) has "borrowed" inspiration from mine. This is cut and pasted from both our sites from the soy candle pages.

MY text from my website (couple years old):

Soy wax is a natural, renewable resource and is made from American-grown soybeans. It's also non-toxic, clean burning, and features easy soap and water clean up. Wick is made from cotton. Soy candles burn for an average of 55-60 hours ...

Copy from Whispering Pines website (made just recently in '06):

Soy wax is a natural, renewable resource and is made from American grown soybeans. It is non-toxic, clean burning (no soot) and features easy soap and water clean up. The wicks are made with cotton. This candle will burn an average of 80-100 hrs ...

The text was copied almost word for word from my website. I guess I kinda thought that after the uproar of thread, this sort of thing would stop. :sad2:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, hate to have to bump this thread back up, but now it seems Whispering Pines (tootie04's site) has "borrowed" inspiration from mine. This is cut and pasted from both our sites from the soy candle pages.

MY text from my website (couple years old):

Soy wax is a natural, renewable resource and is made from American-grown soybeans. It's also non-toxic, clean burning, and features easy soap and water clean up. Wick is made from cotton. Soy candles burn for an average of 55-60 hours ...

Copy from Whispering Pines website (made just recently in '06):

Soy wax is a natural, renewable resource and is made from American grown soybeans. It is non-toxic, clean burning (no soot) and features easy soap and water clean up. The wicks are made with cotton. This candle will burn an average of 80-100 hrs ...

The text was copied almost word for word from my website. I guess I kinda thought that after the uproar of thread, this sort of thing would stop. :sad2:

hummmm...not sure what to say about this as I dont want to offend..but there are not to many ways you can explain the benefits of soy wax. I use a very similar explanation of mine and I didnt copy it from anyone. I would not be upset about an explination of soy wax benefits as they are the same for everyone so all soy wax sites are going to have the pretty much the same explination of its benefits. I would be more upset if it were a copy of your product descriptions or your welcome message...thats just my opinion though...not trying to offend.;)

Exactly, Bunny. And I would be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt *IF* we hadn't already been down this road with her. She's already been busted using Chelle's text.

And if any of you are still in doubt, check out our descriptions on our Lemon Pound Cake soy candles, for example. She's also used my description almost word for word.

hummmm...not sure what to say about this as I dont want to offend..but there are not to many ways you can explain the benefits of soy wax.

I agree, Sweet ... only so many ways to say it. But do you not see that it's almost word for word? Same sentence order? Etc.? Do you really think this is pure coincidence?

I just think it is unethical to copy people's content, and this, IMO, was obviously copied. I personally wouldn't be able to have a clear conscience knowing my "work" was not my own.

Hmmmm....still mulling this one over. Although I'm not offended by your opinions, I just disagree about the "situational" ethics of thinking it's NOT O.K. to copy certain parts of the text, but then it *is* OK to copy other parts. Just doesn't make sense to me ... to my way of thinking, either copying of any kind is wrong, or it isn't. :sad2:

Hmmmm....still mulling this one over. Although I'm not offended by your opinions, I just disagree about the "situational" ethics of thinking it's NOT O.K. to copy certain parts of the text, but then it *is* OK to copy other parts. Just doesn't make sense to me ... to my way of thinking, either copying of any kind is wrong, or it isn't. :sad2:

AJ I didn't realize that this was one and the same person that the thread was about. I thought it was just one paragraph and could have been coincedental which is possible, but with all of the other information I agree with you for being upset.

Guest EMercier

Can't we get back to the question at hand? ;) How many do this FT? I thought that's what the question was. I don't do it FT because I had school FT and work FT. Since the school thing is over until grad school starts this fall, I want to focus on building my business so that I can do it FT and sit home watching Maury and Jerry Springer. I love drama!

Anyway on to the other stuff, those are templates and when I set up my website, I looked at other sites for ideas and I did not copy from them. I just did it to get my creative juices flowing. They did have something premade that I could go with, but I didn't feel it was good for me and I think I still need to tweak it. I would never take anything from anyone's website. I mean, you could've PMed her and ask about it instead of putting it on blast though. I understand you meant no harm in the whole question, but it opened it up for lots of responds. I'm sure the person that started this thread feels bad, but what's the chance of her getting your stuff and copying it? I mean come on. Let's not jump to conclusions. People think that two people can't have the same ideas and think alike. That's why you have friends right? I don't care, if she did, she did. If she didn't, she didn't. Oh well, let's just get back to the whole purpose of this thread. People steal from others all the time and our country was build on theft. (think about it)

I did contact her, Birdie. Privately. No response yet.

And did you read the rest of this thread? :wink2: It's been brought to Patricia's attention before that she used someone else's text. Another friend has informed me that she has "borrowed" others' graphics as well. That's the reason I went public with this in short order. She's been busted before, and I believe that we who are honest in the internet community should give a heads up to other honest people when there's something fishy happening. So we can all be on our guard. I've been ripped off by people who appear to be trustworthy and sweet. I'm trying to avoid letting myself or others be taken in again, KWIM? ;)

I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt when it's called for. I believe in being kind. And I believe in dealing with conflict privately, unless the person fails to get the offending issue resolved. But in this case, I just think it's irresponsible and naive to continue to trust when someone's doing the same old thing.

If you're offended by my being on guard against people with questionable character, so be it. We'll just have to agree to disagree, I suppose. :smiley2:

Edited to add: Please don't read my post as being snotty, irritated, mean-spirited or upset. I really don't have a bad attitude towards you or any other poster in this thread, honestly. I'm just not that kind of person. My opinions are meant to communicate, not to flame. :) Please don't take them personally. ;)

I agree, Sweet ... only so many ways to say it. But do you not see that it's almost word for word? Same sentence order? Etc.? Do you really think this is pure coincidence?

I just think it is unethical to copy people's content, and this, IMO, was obviously copied. I personally wouldn't be able to have a clear conscience knowing my "work" was not my own.

I do see that it is almost word for word yes, and if you feel that it was copied then by all means feel that way, I am not saying that it was not, and no I do not agree with coping and pasting from someone else's website. I on the other hand would be more upset about the fact that your description for the Lemon Pound Cake soy candle was copied..because that kind of description is a description of your very own that you created...your soy description is not soley yours its all of our description of soy candles...and after all it is NOT your conscience that has to live with it, its hers IF she copied it. I can see why you are upset noone likes to be copied, I just feel like the soy description is walking a fine line on being copied...because she could change the order of the sentences and it wont be word for word but it will still say the same thing no matter what order it is in. My soy description is pretty much the same as yours also..different wording order but same message none the less.

If this was directed to me...let me just first of all tell you that this is the first time I have even looked at this thread today...little antsy waiting on my reply arent ya. I detect a little attitude coming from you about this towards me and its uncalled for, I have every right to voice my opinion on this matter and thats all it is MY opinion. I am sorry if it is not the opinion you wanted. Yes you are right copying is wrong no matter which way you look at it, but do you have PROOF that she went to your site and actually copied your wording? I mean dang it is a description of Soy wax...you did not come up with it yourself, you did not create the charactistics of soy wax..I am sorry. This stuff is exactly the reason that I do not post on this board much anymore..to many people get upset when you dont agree with them and then it gets turned around on you. I posted in my post that I did not mean it to be offensive and if you took it that way I apologize that was not my intention. It is possible that it may have been copied beings how you said the Lemon Curd Soy candle description was...that, I would be more upset about. Sorry if you dont like my answers or opinions.

No attitude whatsoever. :) I was saying my post in a kind manner (it was intended that way). My friends can tell you I'm not a mean, unkind person. I was just stating it in a very objective way -- not meant to be offensive, and I honestly don't have an attitude. :smiley2:

Edited to add: I was not upset with you, or anyone else that posted to this thread. Except for the person I believe lifted my text, that is. LOL As you stated, you have a right to voice your opinion and that's fine! I was just voicing mine. I was not at all flaming you, being mean-spirited towards you, etc. :) I'm really not a pot-stirrer, and I believe everyone has a right to speak and be heard. Please don't read my post as trying to turn anything on you -- that's not how it was meant. I would kindly ask that you not take my remarks personally. :)

I think there are quite a few people that are on guard regarding this thread since it has already been proven that things have been copied. In more ways than people have caught on to. I know that there aren't to many words to describe soy wax and its benefits and everyones description is going to be somewhat similar, but in the defense of the people that have been copied, there are plenty of options to take basic information and make it your own.

I don't blame a single person that looks into this thread or the website to be upset for being copied, I would assume after the first time this was brought to this persons attention they would of completely revamped their site to make sure that their wording was their own.

Out of curiousity, I looked at the site. I wonder why she has a cabin for her logo yet she has a potato holding a sign on her labels. Seems kind of odd to use a potato when you are from Oregon. Though I can't find the thread I do believe I have seen that potato before this thread and it was not on her website.

OK, after doing some thinking on my contributions to this thread, I have come to the conclusion that I have not been a member here long enough and am not well-known enough to most CT'ers here to have earned your trust. I can totally understand that. Many of you don't know me from Adam! LOL

My apologies if you think I was attacking ANY of you. I wasn't. I was sincerely frustrated for having my content used without my permission, and I wanted to put others on their guard because I've seen people with good, kind hearts who trust others ... and then they get ripped. :( It's happened to ME too. And I've seen plenty of other good and kind, trusting people get ripped as well. Makes me very sad.

In my defense, the few of you here who know me well from other forums know I'm not a person who goes around slamming people. I'm not in the habit of saying negative things about others. I do not flame, accuse, or get involved in character bashing. (Actually I do think I slipped up once and admitted I can't stand Howard Stern, but hey, nobody's perfect! LOL)

This is the first time I came out publicly and said I had a problem with someone. I'm sorry that this apparently offended some of you; it was not meant to be that way. I just honestly wanted to warn others, and sincerely thought I was doing everyone a kindness. I could have easily just shut up and said nothing, but I earnestly thought speaking up was the right thing to do. I just thought that if the shoe were on the other foot, I'd want someone to point out the problem to me too. Especially since I'm half blind to things like this most of the time. LOL

I try to keep my attitude and my tone respectful. Obviously I've ruffled some feathers here, and I'm very sorry about that. I still believe what I posted earlier was true and am not retracting my statement about the alleged theft, however. Sorry if that bothers anyone, but it is something I feel I need to do.

Thanks for "listening" to me. :) We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum. ;)

I would assume after the first time this was brought to this persons attention they would of completely revamped their site to make sure that their wording was their own.
I think what got revamped were the sections bearing similarities to Chele's site i.e. what was pointed out when this thread first started. At that time it was not known that other sections weren't original, so that might explain why they didn't get revamped.