How many are doing this full time??

tootie04

How many of you are doing this full time?? My dream has always been to make candles and make a living from it. Well, it looks like my dream may come true. I have 1 wholesale account and another is interested and we are not even pushing the candles yet for wholesale. I have not even broke the surface yet as far as wholesale is concerned. I have the opportunity to possibly open a shop in town on a MAJOR tourist road. I have 3 fundraisers ready to start and one more I have to talk to tomorrow. My website is up and running.

So anyway i was just wondering how many of you do this full time?? How are you doing with it? Do you have a shop and a retail store front? I have all the time in the world on my hands kids are all grown and gone so it is just me DH and the minpins.

Patricia

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do this fulltime and have for almost 5 years... we just moved into our new store location and have several employees.. life is good. It's very exciting and rewarding.

That being said... it's more work than you are thinking it will be... and much more expensive then you are guessing it will be. Be sure you don't need the income from the store for a while because at the beginning you will need to reinvest most of what you make ...getting your inventory up and all the other costs that go with a store. It's tough at times.. but I wouldn't trade it for any other job... it's fabulous :)

Checked out your website by the way... your opening page's text seems oddly familiar :)

Take care,

Chele

We do this fulltime and have for almost 5 years... we just moved into our new store location and have several employees.. life is good. It's very exciting and rewarding.

That being said... it's more work than you are thinking it will be... and much more expensive then you are guessing it will be. Be sure you don't need the income from the store for a while because at the beginning you will need to reinvest most of what you make ...getting your inventory up and all the other costs that go with a store. It's tough at times.. but I wouldn't trade it for any other job... it's fabulous :)

Checked out your website by the way... your opening page's text seems oddly familiar :)

Take care,

Chele

oh my... I guess it would! Goodness that's blatant!

...Checked out your website by the way... your opening page's text seems oddly familiar :)...

Take care,

Chele

WOW! I 'bout spewed raspberry pie all over my monitor, you are not kidding. Someone should be running with tail between her legs. Ever hear of originality? :waiting:

Well, it is sort of hard to tell who is who, lol...there are so many sites that use the exact same wording, lol...here are three sites for example. Some similarities are in bold, lol

taken from http://www.whisperingpinessoycandles.com/store/Default.asp

Soy wax candles hand poured for you

by Whispering Pines Soy Candles.

Come on in and take a moment to visit my wonderful line of individually hand poured and richly scented Soy Wax candles.

I use all natural Soy Wax and all natural wicks to create a superior quality candle. Whether burning or just sitting in your room, my soy candles are sure to fill the air with a heavenly aroma.

I feel I have created a superior line of products which I stand by with great pride. So whether you are just discovering Whispering Pines Soy Candles for the first time or a long- time friend, I encourage you to … experience the difference of a Whispering Pines Soy Candle!

Once you have experienced the wonderful fragrances and long burn times of my soy candles, I’m sure you will be back again and again….

Win a free soy wax candle! I will draw a name from my mailing list every month for a free 9oz hex jar candle. Be sure to sign up!

taken from http://www.buggytowncandles.com/index.html

Soy wax candles hand poured for you by BuggyTown Candle Co.!

We would invite you to take a moment to visit our unique line of individually hand poured decadently scented Soy Wax candles in a variety of charming nostalgic containers.

BuggyTown Candle Company uses a natural Soy Wax blend and all natural wicks to create a superior quality candle. Whether burning or just sitting in your room, our soy candles are sure to fill the air with a heavenly aroma.

We feel we have created a unique line of products which we stand by with great pride. So whether you are just discovering BuggyTown Candles for the first time or a long-time friend, we encourage you to... experience the difference of a BuggyTown Soy Wax Candle!

Once you have experienced the splendid fragrances and long burn times of our soy candles, we're sure you will be back again and again...

Here we grow again!!!

We have moved to our new bigger (and we think better) location on Main street in downtown historical Barnesville. Be sure to come see all the additions and smell our fabulous new scents, we look forward to seeing you!

taken from yet another site, lol http://www.countryshackcandles.com/index.html

Richly scented, hand poured soy wax candles... to warm your heart and home

We invite you to take a moment to visit our unique line of individually hand poured decadently scented soy wax candles in a variety of fragrances.

Country Shack Candles uses all natural soybean wax and all natural wicks to create a superior quality candle. Whether burning or just sitting in your room, our products are sure to fill the air with a heavenly aroma.

We feel we have created a unique line of products, which we stand by with great pride. So whether you are just discovering Country Shack Candles for the first time or a long-time friend, we encourage you to experience the difference of a Country Shack Soy Wax Candle!

Once you have experienced the splendid fragrances and long burn times of our soy candles, we're sure you will be back again and again.

From soy candles to electric tart warmers and melts, to scented critters, to our unique line of lotions and linen sprays, Country Shack Candles has you covered for all your home fragrance needs.

That would be so embarrasing for me! DIY did the design and website, I hope they did not do the copying. I use them, but did my own design. Someones head should roll! When I did mine, I didn't look anywhere for suggestions fearing I would be tempted to not use my own words.

yes, they may be the unwitting victims of template goons! ahh! some of the places that build sites can sort of make cookie cutter sites....I don't know if that is what happened here, but it seems like a possibility....I can understand taking a few sentences of someone's, but to have almost a whole website copied, it is just too easy to be caught at it. So it could actually have been an accident....whoever actually wrote the sites could be to blame. I don't know the situation though, but it is worth checking into. If these ladies are victims, they should definitely talk to someone.

Jeez, wouldn't you think that on your "About Us" page you would write something personal, about YOU?! I just do NOT understand the concept of having a designer or write do that part of it.. why why why would someone even THINK about copying that part of it? :confused:

Well, I guess I need to explain... I PMed the person at buggytown and apologized. i had my site built by DIY and my sister did 90% of the writing for my site. For a PRICE. I have never seen the other site before and did not copy anything. BUT seems as though my sister needed a little inspiration!!

As soon as I can figure out how to access the site....which I do not know how to do yet...to make changes then I will. Then my sister is going to DIE!! I take pride in everything I do and i know i should have done this myself (the writing i mean) but i have never been a good writer. I guess my sister is not as good as i thought she was either!!

So that being explained, and changes will be made as soon as SOMEONE at DIY tells me how to access my site.

I would never have even thought of doing that to anyone here or anywhere else. I had nothing to do with how the site was laid out. I think all the sites form DIY look somewhat alike in their layout.

Patricia

Jeez, wouldn't you think that on your "About Us" page you would write something personal, about YOU?! I just do NOT understand the concept of having a designer or write do that part of it.. why why why would someone even THINK about copying that part of it? :confused:

So true...why wouldn't you have your own personal story in the about us area? I thought designers gave the concept and assisted with the process...I thought the website owners are supposed to make it their own so it is unique. I don't have a website yet but I would want it to look like my own and be about me so it can be picked out of the crowd.:undecided

DIY has nothing to do with what your site's text says...that is completely up to the owner of the site. They are a template and a place to host the site. That is why it is a Do It Yourself site.

I had this problem awhile back...someone decided to copy my text/concepts/sales/ideas verbatim...no originality...nothing from them...just copy and pasted. Still happens to an extent, but I have decided that I would rather concentrate on my business...and not let it stress me out the way it did when it was brought to my attention.

I would say...if your sister copy and pasted everything from someone else's site...she has some explaining to do and you need to login and change your text as soon as you can...I know how the other site owner feels that it was copied from.

I dont know about any other sites I just know this is a mess. :angry2: I am so mad right now. I am upset too. I really like this form and all of you. I dont try to do anything to hurt anyone. It will be changed by me as soon as i can figure out how...

Patricia

DIY has nothing to do with what your site's text says...that is completely up to the owner of the site. They are a template and a place to host the site. That is why it is a Do It Yourself site.

I had this problem awhile back...someone decided to copy my text/concepts/sales/ideas verbatim...no originality...nothing from them...just copy and pasted. Still happens to an extent, but I have decided that I would rather concentrate on my business...and not let it stress me out the way it did when it was brought to my attention.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you...that is my biggest fear when I have a site...I would hate to be copied!:embarasse You have a good attitude about your focus though.:undecided BTW your site looks very nice and is easy to navigate!

tootie, I have to give you the benefit of the doubt :)

This kind of stuff happens all the time, which is why I ALWAYS check my site pages to make sure no one else is copying. I check about once a month.

Besides, who even knows whose is original...that third site I listed has a copyright of 1999, lol....so who really knows how things get started.

Anyways, I hope this all gets straightened out with you all in a satisfactory and peaceful way, and that each of you can start building something nice and unique. :) I would suggest that both of you change the text on your sites....like I said, a lot of sites have the same exact thing...so no matter who did it, it still looks bad for everyone.

JMHO

Katie

My site is in the development stages at this point, and I swear to you, my copy is going to be dotted in expletives just to make sure other people won't want to steal it.

"Our lotion will moisturize the crack of your ass like NO other, and you can bank on it!"

I'm not a Grumpy Girl for nuttin'.