Ivory Mottles

Trish

This was an order for a friend's mom, thought I'd share...

TopofMurrayHill, if you see this...regarding your thread the other night where were talking about pouring hot for mottles, on the tall ones, those were actually poured at 155. Interesting, huh? LOL

Hmm...pic is a little dark. I'll try to lighten it so you can see the mottle better...

post-372-139458377103_thumb.jpg

Hi Trish, nicely made pillars there.

I'm not one of those who believes you have to bend over backwards to get a mottle effect. With the right formula and appropriate wax it just happens without cracking a whip over it. My consideration in terms of pour temperature is getting a nice surface finish.

What I find interesting and a little puzzling about those tall ones is that I would expect to see more of a rustic surface with a 155 pour, yet these came out nice and smooth. I wonder if that's due to the 4 inch molds trapping more heat so you can pour cooler?

Anyway thanks for sharing; it's always enjoyable to see your work.

What I find interesting and a little puzzling about those tall ones is that I would expect to see more of a rustic surface with a 155 pour, yet these came out nice and smooth. I wonder if that's due to the 4 inch molds trapping more heat so you can pour cooler?

I find it interesting too. These are 3x3 and 3x6 molds, 1343, some stearic and FO. The tall ones poured at 155 and the little ones were 165. I didn't pour cool on purpose, the wax just cools so fast compared to my container wax that sometimes it ends up cooler than I like. However, it works for me! LOL

I would expect to see some rustic as well, and really thought when I unmolded them that the top would probably be rustic, but there's none. It's smooth all the way.

That's why I posted these, because of the thread the other night where we discussed hotter temps for mottle and that I've gotten mottle with cooler temps. Kinda weird, but at least they turned out! LOL