Beanpod Candles

Went to our Co-OP's special day and a fellow had a set-up for outside garden decorations and Beanpod Candles. He was giving out sample votives. They are beautiful and in a plastic holder. It burns well, looks great and smells wonderful. How do they do it? No frosting, no wet spots and great throw but no FO seepage...wonder what % they use? They say they are 100% "stabilized" soy with "Tempacure". What do these two things mean and can we do anything like it? Also, where could one get those plastic votive holders? As you can see, I was impressed and now feel like my candles will never come near these. Tried to go to their web site but wasn't able to connect. Anyone know anything about them? TIA. Beth

Hi,

This is such a coincidence that you posted this thread because I have just found out in the last couple of days which wax the Beanpod candles are made from. I was told that it is Enchanted Lites Soy. I heard that Enchanted Lites owns Beanpod. I have a Beanpod candle -- had it a while. I lit is again today for the second time. It is the Fresh Linen. I like the looks of the soy too. The cold throw is awesome. However, it is a one wicker and I could never get it to burn all the way out -- would take too many hours. So, today I poked two holes in it and stuck two of my RRD 40's in it and lit it to see how the throw would be with two wicks. The throw was ok, but then again Fresh Linen can sometimes be a lighter scent. I will have to test the throw better on another day. I ended up sticking it in a smaller room because I had to test some of my candles so the throw was better in the small room than what it was in my main area. They are pretty candles and I am curious to see how the Enchanted Lites soy would perform with the fragrances I have.

I have no idea what Tempacure is. I wonder if they add something in the Enchanted Lites Soy to make it especially better for their product. I know that there are some here that use Enchanted lites. I wonder if they would know if their candles burn and look similiar to Beanpod candles. Let me know if you find out anything further. Maybe you could order a sample of Enchanted Lites soy and see if it seems to be the same quality. I may do so myself. :)

~Holly

EDITED TO ADD: I am not sure if what I have heard regarding what soy is used in Beanpod candles is accurate, but that is what I have been told.

I bought a beanpod candle a few weeks ago, just to see how it burned. It is a 16 oz apothocary, scented pumpkin spice. It had a tiki-torch of a wick, but it burned great. It had a full melt pool, great throw and no soot even though I purposely marathon burned it. I was really surprised. I may have to get a sample of EL and try it for myself.

Yes, they use the wax, they add non-soy or veggies oils to the wax, and the TEMPERTURE is not a machine process but a storage process that us small candles makers cannot build. There will be a better wax soon for soy, how much better, who knowS. Thats all i can say. Or i lose a leg. LOL

I've seen big name candles with huge wet spots, oil seepage, blotchy wax, off-centered wicks, tunnels when burning, and crummy scent throw. Then again, when I was starting making candles, I made candles like that too! :laugh2:

You're right -- no such thing as a perfect candle! It's always something ...

candlewitch....I'll be eagerly waiting.

I had a beanpod once. Chai tea. Great cold throw, but didn't do a heck of a lot for hot. Still nice though. Wicks remind me of htps.

Do they double wick the apothecaries?

My large apothocary was single wicked. Wick looked like a torch, but it burned fairly well. Flame was a little high for my taste, but what do you expect when you use a wick that large, lol.

I had a beanpod once. Chai tea. Great cold throw, but didn't do a heck of a lot for hot. Still nice though. Wicks remind me of htps.

Do they double wick the apothecaries? You had a Beanopod once and then asked whether they are double wicked? Maybe you forgot? No, they are single wicked. As far as cold throw, i didnt like it. Never sold either. The Teas that i currently make will throw enough to open a barnsdoor in Iowa.:grin2:

Ok, you got me curious... went and bought a Beanpod today :o They really are pretty candles for soy. There was virtually no frost on any of their jars and only a slight amount on the votives. There were a couple with the wicks off center but I'd say overall they do a very nice job. Top is perfectly smooth and flat and the wax seems very dense. Cold throw was pretty good on most of the scents they had at this store, I just lit it so we'll see how the hot throw is. They even sell "Soy Beads" that you're supposed to sprinkle on the top of the jar candles to create custom fragrances. It looks to me like they used a cotton wick in this one - it's pretty big, I'd guess maybe a 62C? The wick was 5/8" long (measured it) but the flame doesn't seem excessively large. The scent is Earthly Embrace, quite unique and pretty. Sure wish I could get 100% soy to look like this. Anyone tried the EL soy? Is it even close without the "tempacure" process?

I tried the Millenium blend once and it didn't look anything like this candle from Beanpod. It set up really funky - kind of crusty and shiney on top. Maybe I didn't pour at exactly the correct temperature or something but it was ugly enough that I didn't do any further testing with that wax.

Hi. I've tried the EL waxes and they didn't turn out like the Beanpod. Their label says 100% stabilized soy wax so I wouldn't think they could put a whole lot of anything else in and remain legal. I know if I goof up and decide to reheat and repour, the repour comes out looking great with good glass adhesion and all. Maybe they heat and let it solidify and then reheat again and pour? I did read the post, Henry, but it ended up with lots of air bubbles and these didn't have that, so I guess I will keep messing around with the heating thing. I am just so happy to get my wax to melt after a year of frustration that even the wet spots don't bother me like they once did. Beth

Yah, I know. People, includiing my kids can convince me of anything. Once, I even bought a water heater for the birdbath cuz one of my boys convinced me the squirrels would die during the winter without water nearby. What's even funnier, I convinced everyone else at my work and they went out and bought them too, before I figured out the squirrels would be just fine as they were. LOL. Beth

I was buying them before I started making candles. I spoke with a couple of wax distributors. They said it is virtually impossible for 100% to not have any imperfections especially the red ones. Red is very common for mottling. I agree. Its easy for a company that size to lie. Who will challange them? Its like challanging Yankee for wetspots. I bet Tempacure is a way they finish the candles with a heat source. Like we use a heat gun. The have special equipment to smooth out the tops.