Post office Doesn't Allow FO Shipped?

Recently at the post office, I was shipping FO and the employee could hear that there was liquid inside (even with the bubble wrap and paper wrap). I was asked what was inside that was liquid so I said perfume and was told it wasn't allowed???? Then I read this online:

he USPS® forbids the shipping of most hazardous materials. For example, many common items such as alcohol, aerosols, fireworks, fuels, cleaning supplies, perfumes, batteries and paints are not allowed in the mail.

I just went to another post office w/out problems but has anyone else had this problem?

I'm usually asked if my package contains Liquid, flammable, etc contents. I was honest and was turned away. I asked about it and was told that they dont allow flammable because they don't know which packages will end up by the engines, so they wont take the risk with the heat. Also liquids are not allowed because of the possible leakage and running other packages. Having to possibly pay multiple people insurance because of one box, etc. So now I use click and ship, don't have to face someone. I think though that they ask that their too, but easier to lie with a mouse I suppose.:undecided

They should have a problem with it, if they're doing their job correctly :wink2:

You can ship liquids, but they need to be packaged properly. Tall mentioned using click-n-ship- to avoid the admition of liquids, but there is a serious reason for the limits, and the heat/engine/scenario is the perfect example. How would you feel if a plane goes down because your box of seemingly harmless FO's happened to leak....get's too close to a heat source, catches fire, and, well......it's not far fetched.

Flashpoints below 141 are considered flammable, from 141-200 are considered combustible. All liquids are supposed to be declared, and the PO should be asking about flashpoints. There are regulations requiring specifics in packaging liquids, enough to absorb and contain any and all fluids should a leak arise.

Here's a quick synopsis, as well as the full link:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065027

Flammable and Combustible Liquids (Hazard Class 3)

10.13.1 Definitions

The terms used in the standards that apply to hazard class 3 are defined as follows:

a. Flammable liquid means a liquid that has a flashpoint of not more than 141°F (60.5°C), or any material in a liquid phase that has a flashpoint at or above 100°F (38°C).

b. Combustible liquid means any liquid that does not meet the definition of any other hazard class and has a flashpoint above 141°F (60.5°C) and below 200°F (93°C). Note: A flammable liquid with a flashpoint at or above 100°F (38°C) that does not meet the definition of any other hazard class may be reclassified as a combustible liquid per 49 CFR 173.120(B).

10.13.2 Flammable Liquid Mailability

Flammable liquid is prohibited in international mail. Flammable liquid with a flashpoint of 20°F (-7°C) or below is prohibited in domestic mail. Other flammable liquid is prohibited in domestic mail via air transportation but is permitted via surface transportation if the material can qualify as an ORM-D material and meet the following conditions as applicable:

a. The flashpoint is above 20°F (-7°C) but no more than 73°F (23°C); the liquid is in a metal primary receptacle not exceeding 1 quart, or in another type of primary receptacle not exceeding 1 pint, per mailpiece; enough cushioning surrounds the primary receptacle to absorb all potential leakage; the cushioning and primary receptacle are packed within a securely sealed secondary container that is placed within a strong outer shipping container; and each mailpiece is plainly and durably marked on the address side with "Surface Only" or "Surface Mail Only" and "ORM-D" immediately following or below the proper shipping name.

b. The flashpoint is above 73°F (23°C) but less than 100°F (38°C); the liquid is in a metal primary receptacle not exceeding 1 gallon, or in another type of primary receptacle not exceeding 1 quart, per mailpiece; enough cushioning surrounds the primary receptacle to absorb all potential leakage; the cushioning and primary receptacle are placed within a securely sealed secondary container that is placed within a strong outer shipping container; and each mailpiece is plainly and durably marked on the address side with "Surface Only" or "Surface Mail Only" and "ORM-D" immediately following or below the proper shipping name.

10.13.3 Combustible Liquid Mailability

Combustible liquid is prohibited in international mail. Combustible liquid is permitted in domestic mail if the material can qualify as an ORM-D material and meet the following conditions as applicable:

a. For surface transportation, if the flashpoint is 100°F (38°C) but no more than 141°F (60.5°C); the liquid is in a metal primary receptacle not exceeding 1 gallon, or in another type of primary receptacle not exceeding 1 quart, per mailpiece; enough cushioning surrounds the primary receptacle to absorb all potential leakage; the cushioning and primary receptacle are packed in a securely sealed secondary container that is placed within a strong outer shipping container; and each mailpiece is plainly and durably marked on the address side with "Surface Only" or "Surface Mail Only" and "ORM-D" immediately following or below the proper shipping name.

b. For surface or air transportation, if the flashpoint is above 141°F (60.5°C) but no more than 200°F (93°C); the liquid is in a primary receptacle not exceeding 1 gallon per mailpiece; enough cushioning surrounds the primary receptacle to absorb all potential leakage; the cushioning and primary receptacle are packed in a securely sealed secondary container that is placed within a strong outer shipping container; and each mailpiece is plainly and durably marked on the address side with "ORM-D" or "ORM-D AIR," as applicable, immediately following or below the proper shipping name. Mailable material sent via surface transportation must be marked on the address side as "Surface Only" or "Surface Mail Only." For air transportation, each mailpiece must bear a shipper's declaration for dangerous goods.

c. For air or surface transportation, if the flashpoint is above 200°F (93°C) the material is not regulated as a hazardous material. Such nonregulated materials must be properly and securely packaged to prevent leakage under the general packaging requirements in 2.0, Packaging.

I live in Canada and I ordered perfume from a company in Florida. I had no idea that mailing perfume was a big NO NO. Anyway, I never got my package. Customs do random checks on what goes through and unlucky for me, they opened my package, saw it was perfume and destroyed it right then and there. They later sent me a letter telling me this. What I was upset about is that I am out $85.00. It's not like customs will pay me back and as for the company I bought it from... they don't give you a refund if you don't have a product. I did call and complain and the weird thing is that usually they send the product back but just this time they didn't. If they would have then at least I could have gotten my money back.

I recenly shipped 2-large bottles of FO to a girl who had bought them off of me on classifieds here. I work at the post office on a rural route. I boxed them up in a small priority box, bubble wrap, paper and took them up front and left them with a lady and gave her a $20 bill. Shipping was to be sent free and I assumed it would be $4.00 or $5.00 maybe. She heard the liquid and could not ship priority and put in a larger box and shipping was $11.00. I was sending the girl free shipping and really lost money on this transaction. I know I have gotten FO through the mail in priority boxes.

It really does depend on what PO you go to. I never have a problem with mine, they just ask if there is anything hazardous, liquid or perishable and I tell them what it is and then they ask how it is packaged...bottle with lid. plastic wrap and also double bagged in plastic incase of leakage. (maybe I am overboard but you never know!)

UPS will ship it for you Ground if you cant get the PO to do it. I know it costs more but they dont give a person problems! atleast not me...lol

I agree that it has to do with who is at the counter. I only have a problem with one person. So, if it falls that I have to go to her counter, I let the person behind me go ahead of me. If you still have issues, check out FedEx. I NEVER have a problem with them. UPS damages too many packages. The other day I had a package delivered and I could just about bet the jerk threw it onto the porch. Luckily it wasn't anything fragile.

I've had some problems with one guy at the PO, but I also understand where they are coming from. I started to put the FP on a small sticker when I order new oils and stick that to the bottle. Then when and if I sell it and have to ship it I know the FP and can tell the guy at the counter what's inside and what the FP is. I also (before they have a chance to ask) let them know the bottles have taped lids, they are wrapped in paper, and then put in a zip lock bag. They don't say to much after that, they figure I know what I'm doing at that point. It does take more time to pack and wrap them the correct way, but like Beth said, why take a chance.

I always forget about the FP when I mail my FO's. I've never had an issue with the po not letting me send the package though. They only ask me what it is and I say is fragrance oil for candles.

I'll be more on the ball with this though. I don't want to be the one who causes a plane to go down becuase my FO's.

I've only had issues ONE time and I've sent tons of FO's through the PO. I was sending some overseas to a military addy and postal worker, made me open the box to make sure they were in their ziplock baggies, then he boxed them up in a smaller box with lots of paper insulation and then placed in a bigger box, cost me about $3 more to ship, so ya I lost out on that deal, but hey, at least they got their oils. ;)

Other than that, they always ask me if it's liquid, flammable, perishable, etc. and I ALWAYS tell them it's fragrance oil for candles, and they say "ok". Probably not the best thing, considering the hazards....... Never thought about them placing boxes next to the engine. :confused:

This is an interesting thread... my P.O. has a liquid stamp that they stamp my packages with (which I ask them to do everytime whether its candles and/or B&B). I'm hoping that when its seen they'll handle it alittle more carefully.

I have problems sometimes. The tell me that you can't ship them. I then proceed to tell them thier own rules and regulations and they ship it. I know all the FP and they don't argue. My PO says they are no longer allowed to stamp them liquid..half the time they just have no idea what they are doing. They even give me problems about using my CC because I don't sign it. pain in the neck. I like my airport PO the best.

This is really intereting. I don't mind going by the rules or directions because I don't want to mail anything hazardous...my problem is most of the postal workers don't know the rules and even if I did tell them the flashpoint and that I put wax paper under the lid, put in a ziploc and then wrap in bubble...they would sill probably say sorry. As it is, the other day, they gave me a hard time about pre printed postage through ebay...go figure that one...wanted me to pay for my free confirmation...I just wish they were educated about their rules.