Sigh. It's just me.

Mei-Mei

I didn't really know where to post this, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

There is a certain FO company that everyone raves about (I don't want to mention the name of the company). I have ordered from them many times. They have fabulous customer service and a wonderful selection. But I can't make their scents throw in my candles! I feel like such a fool because everyone goes on and on about how wonderful the scents are, and I keep ordering because I guess I'm a glutton for punishment (:rolleyes2 ) but it's just not working for me. I guess I could try the scents in B and B, but I'm really disappointed that they don't throw in candles. I've tweaked everything possible, and I can get all sorts of other scent brands to throw. Just. Not. These. Grrrrrrrrr........

That's the beauty and the frustration of candlemaking. Some work for you, won't work for others, etc. It does baffle me that two candlemakers, using the same wax can have such different results.

Have you tried slight adjustments such as the temp you add the FO, or how much you use?

If the oils just don't throw for you and others do, then it's time to move on from that supplier (and if it's JS, you can sell me the FO!) LOL

Many people love ICS and BCN here and both of those places just didn't work for me.

That is SO frustrating!!! I have found so many oils that folks RAVE about, and I can't get them to work-no how.

I have found that I can have great luck w/ SOME oils from a supplier, and no luck whatever w/ others, even oils that folks rave about!

You aren't alone. It must be half luck sometimes-it's like magic when you get a great throw, I breath a sigh of relief....:rolleyes2

I've had that problem also and just didn't want to admit it because they do smell great in the bottle and so many people rave about them. I just couldn't figure it out because like you I tweak everything I possibly could. There are a couple out of all the ones I have tried that are outstanding but on a whole I have more that didn't work than that did. There is another company that people seem to be very pleased with that I have had that problem with so I was just assuming it is because I use soy and it tends to be a bit fussy with FO's. I am glad you posted this. Now I don't feel alone!

LOL...I KNEW you were going to say JS!

I can use 3 of Becky's scents...the others I cant get to throw. I use J50...ANYTHING throws in J50!

I learned my lesson trying to get cheaper FO's!

I use J50 and carry many of Becky's oils. They all throw great for me. It is really is funny how different things work for different people.

I use a lot of Becky's scents, but there are a few that don't throw for me that seem to work for others. The same thing with Peak. A couple of my favorite scents from them oob just don't throw, but most of them really kick. We have talked a lot about sometimes the planets and the stars have to be in perfect alignment, or we have to stand on our hands while we pick our nose and chant to the candle god, to get the a great hot throw...LOL....wish I knew the secret (picking my nose is out because well that is just gross).

I bought several #'s of JS scents in November after reading about how good they are here on the board. They are great OOB, but I can't make any cold/hot throw for me. I pour in 6006 or 223+soy. My standard test for new scents is 10% in a 6 oz tin with a CD-8 poured in 6006. (This has been my std test for new FO's for 4 years.) I make a decision after burning these testers. If the scent is great but won't burn good, I decide if I want to try different wicking. If I get "no scent throw" hot or cold, it goes in the "no-way" pile of samples.

I could have "candle nose" from time to time, therefore, I get a second opinion. My daughter lives about 90 miles from me and is my 2nd opinion. I left her JS Buttercream and she reported the next day that they lit it and the scent just "died," nothing! I was very disappointed. When I posted, someone said I was using too much oil and to cut it to 1 oz/#. Well, that's nonsense! If 1.6 ozs won't scent, I guarantee that 1 oz also won't smell. I have a very good company and trust my instincts. JS doesn't work for me and probably never will and that is OK. I would just recommend that if you want to test JS SCENTS, you try very small samples! Thanks for opening up this post!!

I don't think anyone can find a company where every single oil works for them. I order from dozens of companies, and some I only get 1 or two FO's from because the rest didn't work for me in my wax, for whatever reason. It is just the nature of the beast. Although, most of JS scents are great in our wax. I have a few that I can't get to throw, but that is how it is with every company.

I would hate to see people not try her oils because some folks are not having luck with them. I think this company has very high quality oils and most are strong in my wax. Get a sample pack and test before ordering pounds.

I've been experimenting with C3 and so far only one JS oil will throw. Creme de la Creme. Good thing it's my favorite one! I've tried German Chocolate Cake and Chestnuts & Brown Sugar, but they won't throw for me in C3. They have a run-you-out-of-the-room throw in paraffin!

I bought several #'s of JS scents in November after reading about how good they are here on the board. They are great OOB, but I can't make any cold/hot throw for me. I pour in 6006 or 223+soy. My standard test for new scents is 10% in a 6 oz tin with a CD-8 poured in 6006. (This has been my std test for new FO's for 4 years.) I make a decision after burning these testers. If the scent is great but won't burn good, I decide if I want to try different wicking. If I get "no scent throw" hot or cold, it goes in the "no-way" pile of samples.

I could have "candle nose" from time to time, therefore, I get a second opinion. My daughter lives about 90 miles from me and is my 2nd opinion. I left her JS Buttercream and she reported the next day that they lit it and the scent just "died," nothing! I was very disappointed. When I posted, someone said I was using too much oil and to cut it to 1 oz/#. Well, that's nonsense! If 1.6 ozs won't scent, I guarantee that 1 oz also won't smell. I have a very good company and trust my instincts. JS doesn't work for me and probably never will and that is OK. I would just recommend that if you want to test JS SCENTS, you try very small samples! Thanks for opening up this post!!

I'll be honest here (and we can agree to disagree), but I do believe that using too much FO can really hinder the scent throw. Sometimes more isn't better. Personally, I don't use more than 1 oz pp of any FO right now. I have tested JS FOs in J50, 4627, J223 and J300. They throw well for me in all these waxes at 1 oz pp. I actually haven't had a FO from Becky that doesn't throw at all (especially Buttercreamm, that one's strong for me). Just my two cents here. :o

I learned the hard way. I have been making candles for 11 years and I usually order samples. I took Becky's word that the certain fragrances that I picked would work well in soy.It also shows on their website which fragrances throw well in soy.So I decided to order 18lbs. of fragrances and maybe 4 out of the 18 choices worked.I have about 6 different soy waxes and it didn't make a difference which ones I tried them in.I also bought 11 lbs. of their parasoy and had the cmas tree fragrance start on fire. What a site to see a 3 and a half inch flame. Becky told me it was because I was using cd wicks which burn hot. That's funny because I made about 10,000 candles with cd wicks in the last 3 years and have never had a problem.I could go on about credit card #'s sent through a email even though a phone call was requested but I have had enough venting.:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Guess that is why you should always order samples, no matter what the company is. I just had several scents from WYW that are supposed to be poured at 3-5% that were totally weak at 8%. Thank God I never order pounds, and I never go by someone's word either. IT IS THE VARIABLES that can cause different results. Nobody makes their candles the exact same way. Then consider the area you live, humidity, elevation, temperature....you have to test for yourself. I would say that anytime you buy a pound without testing it is at your own risk. Sorry. Put them in the classifieds, many of us use these oils.

I use JS 50/50 and it has never caught fire, I make at least 5,000 candles a month with this wax. I also use CD wicks. I think you must have miscalculated something with your oils or had a spot in your wax that didn't incorporate and the flame hit it. Could even be faulty scales...sometimes the batteries will go dead, too. Happened to me last month and an entire batch of candles was off. I test a candle from every batch for accuracy, and it was very weak. The scale needed new batteries.

One of the reasons I didn't want to mention a company name is because I think this can happen to any chandler with any company. I think it's odd how so many different people can get different results even using similar formulations. It really must be because of a full moon or something!:grin2:

ETA--JS has fabulous customer service and I would encourage anyone to try a sample pack of Becky's oils and see what your personal experience with them is. I like the little Tootsie

Rolls she sends me too!

It's not just you...I've ordered 2 or 3 sample packs and while I haven't gotten all of them poured, I'm finding them to be on the light side! There are 2 in particular that I love the scents, but so far they are soooo light! I'm seeing (or smelling:D) some improvement the longer they cure though, but I used 1oz pp and hate to go up more than that! I've got one curing now that I think will be a kick butt keeper though and hopefully will find some others out of the samples that I have.

i think some of it might be that what is light to me.might be strong to some one one else.i like my scents to be really strong. but my kitchen and living room is open. then the computer room and laundry comes of the kitchen. so it has a big area to scent.

Guess that is why you should always order samples, no matter what the company is. I just had several scents from WYW that are supposed to be poured at 3-5% that were totally weak at 8%. Thank God I never order pounds, and I never go by someone's word either. IT IS THE VARIABLES that can cause different results. Nobody makes their candles the exact same way. Then consider the area you live, humidity, elevation, temperature....you have to test for yourself. I would say that anytime you buy a pound without testing it is at your own risk. Sorry. Put them in the classifieds, many of us use these oils.

I use JS 50/50 and it has never caught fire, I make at least 5,000 candles a month with this wax. I also use CD wicks. I think you must have miscalculated something with your oils or had a spot in your wax that didn't incorporate and the flame hit it. Could even be faulty scales...sometimes the batteries will go dead, too. Happened to me last month and an entire batch of candles was off. I test a candle from every batch for accuracy, and it was very weak. The scale needed new batteries.

Wow...if I am making 5,000 candles a month I am sure not going to be buying my oils from Becky! I would be cutting out the middle man.

I made the mistake of ordering my most popular scent for my huge fundraiser from there...MISTAKE. I should have ordered straight from the Fragrance supplier because I used 30lbs of the scent.

I am curious to see how someone can get an accurate reading on scent throw from just a sample. I have poured many "samples" that didn't throw well, but once I wicked up, they were out of this world! So how are any of you getting an accurate reading by just testing a 1 oz sample? I am curious as can be......maybe I am doing something wrong :undecided I try to give each fragrance every chance that I can before I ditch it, which includes wicking up or down. Do others do this too, or do you all just pitch it if it doesn't work with your normal wick size:confused:

I think the problem is that so many of us use different waxes with different wicks and different oils. Some make bath and body and some make candles. My website only makes tarts and when I use certain oils in tarts the cold/hot throw is awesome but when I use the same oil in a jar I don't get much hot throw at all.

FO's just work this way. I use some of Becky's oils and I haven't had any problems at all. I would reorder all of them in a heart beat. I have no problems whatsoever. Her oils, her customer service and her awesomely quick turn around time keep me coming back.

With that said I also order from other suppliers to maintain my scent list and also have no problems from them either. You just gotta buy what works for YOU! :)

Wow...if I am making 5,000 candles a month I am sure not going to be buying my oils from Becky! I would be cutting out the middle man.

I made the mistake of ordering my most popular scent for my huge fundraiser from there...MISTAKE. I should have ordered straight from the Fragrance supplier because I used 30lbs of the scent.

Well, with her prices, we don't need to go elsewhere for her scents. Besides, I would have to have her scents duped, which is a pain in the a--. I do go direct for several of my scents, but we have our costs worked into our wholesale prices so it all works out. 5,000 is small business compared to some I know. We are just guppies in a pool of big fish!

i think some of it might be that what is light to me.might be strong to some one one else.i like my scents to be really strong. but my kitchen and living room is open. then the computer room and laundry comes of the kitchen. so it has a big area to scent.

I think that this makes more sense to me than all the other things I have heard through the months of conversations I have had with people about this. I have no doubt that there is such a thing as "candle nose" and that some people have more experience and have a better combination of wick,wax etc in their "system" to get a candle to throw better with certain oils.......however, in my opinion, you are 100%right. I have had people tell me that they think their candles ( or someone else's for that matter) have a great throw, and they are not even close to what I think is a good throw.

Oils are purchased at price points by suppliers, and sadly, you don't always get what you pay for...more often than not, you do. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better...it kinda depends on who you are dealing with and their profit margains, dontcha think? There are some inexpensive oils that throw well due to the ingredients that comprise the oil. Other fragrances are more expensive to create and if they are bought at a lower price point, they just don't cut it. GREAT FOs are hard to find IMHO, but it always gets back to what you said....what is kick *** to you, does not mean it is kick a** to me.