Surf and Turk Users...Advice Please

Hi All,

I have read all the old posts regarding the Surf and Turk units people out there are using to melt their wax. It has been awhile since the last post and I am interested in hearing how they are performing...... Has anyone had any safety issues or do you just add melted wax to cover the element the first time and then keep it covered?

Re-melting the hardened wax in the unit is ok ? And how is the flow on the spigot? Does it take forever to fill your pour pots?

Lots of question, I know......but I am very interested in buying one of these and wanted advice from some owners!!

Thank you so much in advance!!!

Lisa

PS- and of course you can't add your FO?Dye to it, right??

I got one from QVC, and stared at it for a while, but then decided to send it back. I couldn't get past the heating element being right there in contact with the wax, and didn't want to risk burning or discoloring that amount of wax at one time. Completely covering the heating element with melted wax would just cover up the smell of the burning wax buried below, IMO. I wasn't sure how hot those heating elements would get, and didn't test it. Maybe I should of. When I read the raving reviews of how it's working for everyone, I do have a tinge of regret. I chickened out.

If you did decide to get one, I wouldn't put my FO or color in the large turk n surf. I would dispense it into separate pour pots, and add color and FO in there. I guess it depends on the batch size you plan on doing. I wouldn't want to thoroughly clean that large of a pot and the coils from Dye and FOs everytime I needed to make a change. And would want the freedom to dump in more wax as the levels get lower without having to premeasure everything.

That's just my two cents from a fairly new chandler. I decided on a presto pot and a turkey roaster. Both have been working well. I'm thinking the presto pot's heating levels are easier to control, but the turkey roaster allows for a larger amount of wax at one time. My wax temp accidentally got up to over 215 with the dial set to 150, so I have to keep my eyes on it.

Anyway, I hope you're happy with whatever you end up choosing! HTH

I love my Turk n Surf! Definitely keep the heating element covered, especially first time. I'm the one who decided to light my wax on fire the first time...

The only problem I've noticed with remelting wax, is that I need to poke some "relief holes" or it geysers up. Since it's melting from the bottom up, with no heat directly on the sides, it seems once its melted right in the middle, if I don't poke a hole or two, wax comes spurting up and all over everything in the area.

I love my prestos, but when I'm working on wholesale orders or fundraisers, it's awesome to have 40+ lbs of wax melted versus 8lbs.

I've always added my dye/fo to a pour pot and would not recommend you add it to the fryer. It would be a PITA to clean out.

I love my Turk n Surf! Definitely keep the heating element covered, especially first time. I'm the one who decided to light my wax on fire the first time...

Thanks to you Trish, I melted 8 lbs of wax in my presto and poured it into the Turk n Surf the first time, or I probably would have had a fire too!!!:cheesy2:

I love the T&S, it melts fast! I have not burned any wax either!!

As Trish said, I also poke holes when I remelt it. .

I only melt the wax in the T&S and the spigot has not gotten clog yet.

I do find that I have to put the temp control to about 225 to get my wax heated up to 180. ( I stir the wax too because the heating element is on the bottom )

I would say that the T&S it is a good investment, I have 2 of them now!!:)

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing but I have 3 turkey fryers that my hubby set up for me -- and it does have the element exposed in the wax -- I have been using this for 2 1/2 years -- works great -- although do not let the wax get below the element in the bottom -- (don't ask me how I know to keep the lid close HA) I can melt a case a wax at a time in each one -- and use pour pots to mix in. I also keep my temp at 225 deg.

I have two of them,and love them.I put thrity lbs

in each one.The first time I remelted the wax I didn't know to poke holes in the wax,and wax shot out all over the place.Also poke you holes before the wax gets to hot on bottom,it will shoot out on you(ask me how I know).

Anna

Kay..stupid q, how do you cover it?? Been thinking abot getting one...

I would suggest adding already melted wax into it...enough to cover the heating element in the bottom. I just got excited and threw a couple of slabs of wax in, turned it on and poof! FLAMES!! LOL

I got some technical story about the element trying to reach the 200 degree mark quickly, fueled by air, blah blah blah.... ROFL So I added melted wax into it and I've never had a problem since!

Thanks for all the great advice!! Sounds like a good investment. Special thanks for the relief hole tip :yay: because I hadn't seen that anywhere and a geyser of wax would have definitely freaked me out, not to mention the mess in my studio!!

Does the wax just trickle out of the spigot or does it come out at a pretty good clip? Sorry not a very patient person, when I'm ready to pour, I want to get right to it!! LOL

• 8 months later...

Okay.. I did a search and found this thread.. I just had a few questions about this fryer. Is everyone still happy with it? Where is the cheapest place to get one.. and last.. does it matter if you buy the stainless steel one, or is the black one the same..just not as pretty? Thanks for any help! I too am tired of making several batches... time to step up and buy the big boy.. Thanks for all the input... you have undoubtedly saved me a lot hassle with the warnings..

Teri

Teri,

I ended up getting one of these and it is awesome. I've got 35 lbs ready when I need it. I turn mine off when not in use, but when I need it it only takes about a half hour to melt. I did follow other peoples advice and put about 4 lbs of melted wax the first time, but now when it gets low I just load it up. I keep it set at about 190. Always poke relief holes before turning it on to melt wax, and leave the lid on until wax is melted (wax will spurt alittle from melting from the bottom up)

I got mine at Bass Pro Shops for $100 and didn't see a black one. Would go stainless so you don't have to worry about black specks in your wax KWIM?

Good Luck!!

(you will love it!)

Schmoopie... you are the bomb! I looked at the Bass Pro site, but they don't carry them.. or at least not on their site. I picked one up on another site for 104.95..free shipping.. after looking all over the web, this seemed like a fair price... I am sure they will be going on sale just about when I get mine:rolleyes2 ! LOLOL. I really appreciate your input.. I am sooooo tired of small batches.. this should make my life a lot easier.. I am thankful for all the warnings that many of you posted. I will be sure to poke the relief holes! Thanks again for your help!

Teri

I have two of these I've started to use. I got mine at Gander Mountain on sale last season for $50 each. Mine are black on the outside, stainless steel on the inside. Just love them. I also poured melted wax in first time to cover heating elements and never let the wax go below this line. I also poke releif holes before remelting and leave covers on as they have little holes to release any pressure. I just love them! Takes same amount of time to melt as my preto pot did. HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... got my Turk n Surf cleaned out and I am ready to melt away! I have read on here 30 pounds.. 35 pounds.. 40 pounds.. what is the max that you would suggest? Also.. once all the wax is melted, do you keep the lid off or on.. I was curious about condensation getting into the melted wax..Thanks for all the great input! I can't wait to measure out wax once a day instead of 6 or more.. I am glad that I came back here and re-read all the posts.. I forgot all about initially filling it up with 8 pounds of wax to cover up the element.. this could have been ugly..especially for a FIREGIRL!:embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse !!!!!

Ya know, I looked all over the place for one of these and I can't find one anywhere.

I looked at Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and our local Tractor Supply store. I guess I'll have to look at Bed, Bath and Beyond later next month. I really need one of these!

Yup, I knew about covering the elelment with melted wax and guessed about the relief holes and keeping the lid on.

I use soy flakes so it wouldn't take all that long to melt forty pounds but how much wax will these hold?

Are there any websites I might be able to order one of these off of?

TIA

Fire:cool2:

I just bought 2 of them a couple of weeks ago at Gander mountain for $89.99

Our bed & bath only had the stainless steal one for $139.00 haven't tried mine out yet have been to scared to try it so I'm glad I read this post did'nt no about poking relief holes. So thanks everyone.

Teri,Would go stainless so you don't have to worry about black specks in your wax KWIM?quote]

Product Features: Model SEDFTV/20010306

28-qt. aluminum liner with nonstick coating

Automatic, digital controls adjust cooking time and temperature to bird's weight

Manual controls are adjustable for boiling, steaming and frying many foods

Perforated basket with draining clip and bailing handle

Illuminated On/Off switch

"Ready" cook light

Breakaway power cord

Stainless steel heating element

Glass lid with cool-grip handle

Turkey Tap

Lifting hook

Tested to UL 1083 Standard

Guess they both have non-stick. I hate having to pick out the specks:embarasse