Can you help me "talk this through" (scrubs)

JustJackie

Well- I am still waiting to open my samples and begin testing. BUT- I think I found the first (of many) flaw in my plans.

Regarding sugar scrubs- my plan was to use a pre-made base (unscented) and let the customer choose the scent that they wanted. I would then make it fresh. BUT, after looking at the sample I got- I realize that I don't think I can do this. I don't see how I could get the right amount of scrub vs. oil from a pre-made batch in order to make little orders. So- would I need to scent the entire base all at once?

I know from reading on here that sugar scrubs is one of the easiest products to make from scratch. If I make a scrub from scratch, would I be able to make small batches and add fragrance to that small batch (I am thinking about 8 oz. at a time).

I really want to read your feedback. I am thinking that in this case- I should just pass on the pre-made scrubs and go from scrath. I like that this would give me more flex. in choosing oils and ingredients... but I know that I will be doing a lot more testing in this case.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Jackie,

I dont know alot about all of this and am really just playing around with it(not selling) but I have made some for my nail techs at work and I just made up 3 jars (have 3 girls) and took them in and let them choose the scent they liked. They just added the scent and mixed it up really good again. That worked for me but I am sure the more experienced on here have better ideas for you. Sorry I wasnt more help:sad2:

Angie

Im sure the experts on here will chime in, but want to wish you the best of luck. I am only into candles but I know what its like to have to start "somewhere"

I love scrubs.. except.. The scrubs to me ( only used one brand) made it slippery in the shower !!! LOL

Christina

You don't plan on using this on customers right away do you? There is nothing wrong with using a base if you choose too, however it may be a pain down the road to fragrance in front of the customer. If you are gonna do it at home (out of their vision) then just pull scrub out of your bucket or whatever, and place it into a steralized bowl on your scale. (make sure scale is tared with the bowl) add your fo/color by weight, and then put it into your jars and such. Easy!

Is this an emulsified scrub, or an oil scrub?

Is the base just a simple oil/sugar base? As in, the sugar tends to settle to the bottom, and there's a thin layer of oil on top without any sugar in it, or is it equally dispered throughout?

If it's non-emulsified, I can see it being difficult to get the right ratio of oils to sugar for individual batches.

And seriously, if it's just the oils/sugar, it's so easy to make it's not funny- it's literally sugar, your choice of oils (even just one straight oil without mixing works great), preservative and FO or EO. That's it. It's almost like highway robbery that people sell bases of it...but then again, I think it's highway robbery that people buy my non-emulsified sugar scrub (I do both emuls and non-emuls).

Man, I just ramble lately....

Here's what I do: for my non-emuls, I only offer it in one fragrance - it's too much trouble to do it the other way.

For my emuls scrub, they have their choice, and I make a gallon or so at a time and then scoop and fragrance as ordered.

Is the base just a simple oil/sugar base? As in, the sugar tends to settle to the bottom, and there's a thin layer of oil on top without any sugar in it, or is it equally dispered throughout?

If it's non-emulsified, I can see it being difficult to get the right ratio of oils to sugar for individual batches.

And seriously, if it's just the oils/sugar, it's so easy to make it's not funny- it's literally sugar, your choice of oils (even just one straight oil without mixing works great), preservative and FO or EO. That's it. It's almost like highway robbery that people sell bases of it...but then again, I think it's highway robbery that people buy my non-emulsified sugar scrub (I do both emuls and non-emuls).

Man, I just ramble lately....

I am going to say- simple oil and sugar base. That is what really has me wondering if I am being silly looking at bases of this stuff.

I am thinking that I may actually try from scratch- which will give me a better knowledge of what the different oils and sugars do as an end result. I can see this "scratch method" being more expensive for me becuase I will want to test a lot of different kinds! but- hey... that is part of the fun! LOL

Here's what I do: for my non-emuls, I only offer it in one fragrance - it's too much trouble to do it the other way.

For my emuls scrub, they have their choice, and I make a gallon or so at a time and then scoop and fragrance as ordered.

Ok! thank you! That was what I was sort of thinking (non-emuls). I wanted to offer a selection of all of my body safe oils and I just didn't see this as being a good idea with a pre-made base.

Do you think it would work to make small batches of non-emuls at a time? That way I can still go with my plan of offering any scent? I am going to guess -but I think I have about 95 to 100 scents that are body safe. I don't see all of these as popular choices... but I would still like to offer the option. If this isn't practical, I want to know now so that I can re-think my plans.

Actually, I just checked out JS, and theirs is a non-emulsified (no water) in it. It would be easier for you to just make your own if that is the type that you want. As daniedb suggested it is simply sugar and oil(s). Here is their ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: Refined Sugar, Almond Oil, Virgin Olive Oil, Glycerin, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Methylparaben

Not sure why they are using the SLS, does it foam or bubbly slightly when you use it? The methylparaben is a preservative. The almond oil is the same as SAO or Sweet Almond Oil, and then the Virgin Olive Oil, like you would buy in the grocery store. HTH

Actually, I just checked out JS, and theirs is a non-emulsified (no water) in it. It would be easier for you to just make your own if that is the type that you want. As daniedb suggested it is simply sugar and oil(s). Here is their ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: Refined Sugar, Almond Oil, Virgin Olive Oil, Glycerin, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Methylparaben

Not sure why they are using the SLS, does it foam or bubbly slightly when you use it? The methylparaben is a preservative. The almond oil is the same as SAO or Sweet Almond Oil, and then the Virgin Olive Oil, like you would buy in the grocery store. HTH

I think it will help once I get a good understanding on what those ingredients mean! :) I have not tested it. I am waiting until I have all the samples that I have ordered before I open any. I wanted to start testing once I got all of them- so I can't comment on the foaming/bubbling.

I am really thinking that this is something that would be good first thing to try to make. It will give me an idea of the different oils, which preservative is needed with which product, etc. REALLY understand my product.

Btw- I am sooo going to need to print out the terms and initials used from the sticky thread. I find myself needing to go back and look up what everything stands for.

Thank you for helping me out! This is definitely a whole new ball game! :shocked2:

I am not sure if I understand what you are asking.

Basically what I get is that you wonder if it is easier to use a base rather than make your own in reagrds to small batches. I think the size of the batch is going to be the pain not weather or not it is a base you bought or made.

You could make your own base in a large amount and just stir it up before use. This would save you $$ and time

I used to make scrubs when I was younger. I knew nothing really but had a few recipes for kitchen items with brown sugar etc. I would make 8 or so ounces at a time. It seemed to be a pain. I didn't know anything about preservatives so I could only make what I would use in a few days. It was much more time consuming to put it all together from start to finish and as a business venture I don't think it would be the most productive or cost effective method.

I would much rather have to stir up a base and scoop, weigh, scent, color and package rather than have to measure for just 1 or 2 jars at a time. KWIM

For my oil based scrubs, I make them fresh at the time being because I do not have them on my website and only filling orders for ones that have used it. It is not the best business practice as far as time etc goes but on the other hand I don't like product sitting around for long periods of time. Once it is on my website I may make large quantities of scrub an either do what danielb does and only offer one scent or I will just scoop out desired amount and fragrance as ordered. This also depends on if I decide to make this one of my show items as well

HTH

Michelle

There is a company out there that does do individual scrubs, lotions, salts. You pick out the color and scents and they mix it for you. If you have a "Bath Junkie" in your area you need to go see the process. For the scrubs they first start with a dry base already in the container that you will take home. Next they put it in a big stainless steel bowl....I'm not sure if it's salt or sugar. Then they have these gallon jugs that that put two sqirts of some things and 1 squirt of others. They have their dye in an aluminum bottle with a sprayer (light the ones used for fragrance sprays) and I think they use sprayers with their fragrance oils. Once everthing is in the bowl they mix it with a bid spatula. I went there with one of my friends and the girl was making a lotion that they already had bottled and adding scent & color to personalize. My friend bought a scrub and the girl was making it so fast a couple of squirts of this & that but since I'm not familiar with bath & body ingredients I wouldn't know what they were. I haven't made any scrubs yet.....as I'm testing only candles, but this is something that is big in the Metropolitan Cities.

I would like to start making some scrubs and bath salts so I've been doing alot of reading on this board.

They have a website that you can go to www.bathjunkie.com. Their products are very pricey!

Hope this helps.

Pam

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I love scrubs and I love making them. Now I only make the emulisified ones, a couple different types. But I make a big batch of the "base", then when I need a jar I take out the correct amount, whip that puppy up with the sugar and FO and package. I've tested and tested and tested and I've finally got my base the way I want it.