How are you improving organization this season?

TallTayl

One step at a time I am improving specific work areas of my studio. I just can’t deal with all the confusion and delays caused by something not being where I need it when I need it. 

Had an epiphany about organizing recently: the less you have the easier it is to organize. So, I pulled loads of things out of the space and set up stations, beginning with the shipping area. The peg boards were at a local Aldi store. I have been thinking of peg boards, but most peg board material is flimsy and the pegs are trouble to source when seeking specific kinds. Voila!

IMG_0957.jpeg

the pegs used in the $14 set are simple dowels. I cut some to an inch long for the boxes that hold stickers. 

longer ones hold other things that will likely be moved and refined as I go. 

the little boxes are from dollar tree. 

the mini pallets I made into a shelf are also from dollar tree. 

the peg boards came with a wood like shelf and a wire basket I will use elsewhere. I got 4 sets so more pics to come to keep me motivated. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

This looks great and so functional. While I haven’t delved into my craft area I’ve been slowly decluttering for the last year or so. It is so much easier to make a functional space when all of the junk you don’t ever use is gone. The same will apply when I make it to the craft areas I’m sure. I’ve also found that as I actually use a space it evolves into what works best for me. 

look forward to seeing more! I love to see organizing ideas. 

• Like 1

I moved a couple of years ago from a small house into an even smaller 1300 SF apartment.  I don't have a craft area.  Everything is in the closet in the guest BR (the closet of doom).  If I'm playing with anything, I have to take things out of the closet.  It makes motivation hard to find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrisS said:

I moved a couple of years ago from a small house into an even smaller 1300 SF apartment.  I don't have a craft area.  Everything is in the closet in the guest BR (the closet of doom).  If I'm playing with anything, I have to take things out of the closet.  It makes motivation hard to find.

I know the feeling all too well. 

I lost one of my big shot dies & was really upset about that!!  Wanted to make sure I didn't lose any others & to be able to find them easier when I needed one or two.  So, I grabbed a binder from work along with the plastic binder pockets while they were on sale during the back to school time.  Also, got a packet or two of Avery magnetic sheets from Office Depot which was cut in half & they look much better!!!  Only thing, is the magnetic sheets don't work that great holding onto the dies though.  So, I might have to do something with that in the near future...

• Like 1

I work in what I would call "fragmented spaces" -- there are various things in different areas due to a lack of space for everything in one place.  It's hard to describe, but trying to have it all in one area was too cramped and that gets old really fast.  The peg board is a great way to make more space, similar to shelves, even small ones, now I want a peg board!  I don't know what those wire racks are called that go over your shower head, but they also have other uses, such as on a wall in a craft area -- there's a shelf for a few bottles and a couple of hooks for hanging stuff, they help to organize a little, although not a common sight -- well, none of my area is what anyone would refer to as a common sight!  😅

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I work in what I would call "fragmented spaces" -- there are various things in different areas due to a lack of space for everything in one place.  It's hard to describe, but trying to have it all in one area was too cramped and that gets old really fast.  The peg board is a great way to make more space, similar to shelves, even small ones, now I want a peg board!  I don't know what those wire racks are called that go over your shower head, but they also have other uses, such as on a wall in a craft area -- there's a shelf for a few bottles and a couple of hooks for hanging stuff, they help to organize a little, although not a common sight -- well, none of my area is what anyone would refer to as a common sight!  😅

I use wire spice racks on the wall for easy access to things like rolls of labels used frequently.  If the flat counter is used as storage my organization just falls to pieces. It becomes stressful to work, which is the opposite of why we do these creative things.

shelves and cabinets are often too deep. Restaurant shows feature “speed racks”, which gave plenty of ideas. “Mise en place” is the main thing, though. Everything in place before beginning, and easy to clean and put away when done. I get enraged when I can’t find what I need for a job, which makes it take many times longer than it needs to.  We’ve got things to do! 

Youtuber Herrick Kimball shared some interesting ideas for using pieces of scrap electric wire to customize tool storage.  I have not yet found the right mix of preformed pegs for the weird tools we use, so his ingenuity is inspiring. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cross-stitch said:

I lost one of my big shot dies & was really upset about that!!  Wanted to make sure I didn't lose any others & to be able to find them easier when I needed one or two.  So, I grabbed a binder from work along with the plastic binder pockets while they were on sale during the back to school time.  Also, got a packet or two of Avery magnetic sheets from Office Depot which was cut in half & they look much better!!!  Only thing, is the magnetic sheets don't work that great holding onto the dies though.  So, I might have to do something with that in the near future...

I feel your struggle.  It takes the fun out of creating when a piece is missing. Plastic storage boxes of the right sizes have helped. Thought I need to think about parting with my sizzix and dies as I just don’t use them enough. They take a lot of space for the emotional ties to them.

• Like 1

I was given a massive slat board and hooks.  I had ideas to use it at markets, but it was way too heavy to move.  So hubby cut it up into pieces that  would fit it my work room.  Pictured are my soap/lotion "station" and pour pots.  I also have a small piece hanging on the other side of the work table holding buckets of oils. Put a piece in the garage too. I still ended up giving away the rest of the huge piece of slatboard and a few image.thumb.jpeg.1c9e54ab155a158ae9e338187f472ba2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.039a385cd25306e24e569067def5f9f6.jpeghooks. 

Edited by franu61
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Being in my 3rd house since I started making candles. I have had 3 revisions to my setup, each one improved on the past.  This time of year it is all about efficiency.  Being organized really improves it.

This past time I bought 3 large stainless steel food prep tables from an restaurant that went out of business.  Love those tables.  Mass about about custom built shelves, and proper flow from one end of the basement to the other.