IGI 6006 Wax

Noob82

Noob here. I've been testing 6006 in 8 ounce mason jars.  My current testing is just with the wax no FO.  

I've tried CD12 and CD8. The CD12 was too large and both threw soot.  They both gave a full melt pool. I've wondered if I should try the CD6 but assumed it would soot too.  

I'm in the process of testing Eco4 and Eco6. They are sooting like crazy. Pretty much full melt pool. 

I'm also testing LX14 and LX16. Very little to no sooting Nice flame but not quite a full melt pool yet. Burned about 4 tests of 4 hours. 

I've read a lot of the other posts about 6006 but curious if anyone can help. The jars are the 8 oz label ready mason from CS.  

The wax will burn very differently when you add FO. You can't dial in your wicking w/o FO, dye - the things you will be using in the finished product.

A baseline test (no FO, dye, etc) is important for testing any new batch of wax to make sure there have been no changes, but it's not for actual wick testing.  

14 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

The wax will burn very differently when you add FO. You can't dial in your wicking w/o FO, dye - the things you will be using in the finished product.

A baseline test (no FO, dye, etc) is important for testing any new batch of wax to make sure there have been no changes, but it's not for actual wick testing.  

I tested the CD with FO.  I thought I wasn't supposed so removed it this time. If one soots bad without FO wouldn't be worse with it?  Is it possible to get a better melt pool with FO?

Do you have any recommendations for 6006 in the 8 oz mason jar from CS?  

Edited by Noob82

27 minutes ago, Noob82 said:

I tested the CD with FO.  I thought I wasn't supposed so removed it this time. If one soots bad without FO wouldn't be worse with it?  Is it possible to get a better melt pool with FO?

The FO substantially changes the wax. There's really a lot to unpack just on that topic so I won't go into it, but no. Adding FO doesn't automatically mean it's going to soot or not soot. 
Most wicks work reasonably well with 6006. I've had success with Eco, LX, CD, zinc, HTP.  That wax has undergone some changes over time and I am not sure exactly what it is like right now. The wick guide at Candle Science is accurate for 6006, give or take the normal variables.  The biggest thing is not to expect it to burn like other waxes and reach a full melt pool early.  If you wick it for a FMP in the early burns, it's over-wicked and it will be ugly at the bottom. Don't overload it with FO. 6-7% is all you need, and the more you add, the more soot you'll get. Allow it to cure properly. None of this 1-2 day business. It needs a good solid 2 weeks to settle in and burn well & cleanly.  It's even better after a month.

8 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

The FO substantially changes the wax. There's really a lot to unpack just on that topic so I won't go into it, but no. Adding FO doesn't automatically mean it's going to soot or not soot. 
Most wicks work reasonably well with 6006. I've had success with Eco, LX, CD, zinc, HTP.  That wax has undergone some changes over time and I am not sure exactly what it is like right now. The wick guide at Candle Science is accurate for 6006, give or take the normal variables.  The biggest thing is not to expect it to burn like other waxes and reach a full melt pool early.  If you wick it for a FMP in the early burns, it's over-wicked and it will be ugly at the bottom. Don't overload it with FO. 6-7% is all you need, and the more you add, the more soot you'll get. Allow it to cure properly. None of this 1-2 day business. It needs a good solid 2 weeks to settle in and burn well & cleanly.  It's even better after a month.

I appreciate your feedback. I'm hoping the burn test I've done maybe helped me narrow it down. This has been harder to wick than I expected but I want to use this blend if I can get there. I'm doing it with my 11 year old daughter just hoping to give a few to family and friends. Then maybe just sell a few once we have it down. 

1 hour ago, Noob82 said:

Take this with a huge grain of salt: I don't use 6006 very often, the 6006 I DID use was in 2018, and I only made a couple in 8 oz Mason jars.  But the ones I did make burn great with ECO 2.

22 hours ago, NightLight said:

You need small wicks with 6006. Try cd 4-6 for that jar. 8-10 maybe too big. Also fragrance can change wick sizes.

Thank you!  I'm thinking I'll try the wax with FO next time with cd6/lx16/eco2.  

What do you all think about those 3 choices?

Pour Cinnamon Chai FO with my wax a couple of days ago. I'm letting them cure got decent CT when I remove the lids. I ended up using cd4 cd6 amd eco2. I'm hoping one of these work. 

When I find my wick for this recipe will most FO work with it or the same series at least?  

On 11/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, Noob82 said:

Pour Cinnamon Chai FO with my wax a couple of days ago. I'm letting them cure got decent CT when I remove the lids. I ended up using cd4 cd6 amd eco2. I'm hoping one of these work. 

When I find my wick for this recipe will most FO work with it or the same series at least?  

Not usually. Fragrance are all formulated differently. You need to test top to bottom for every new fragrance. 

On 11/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, TallTayl said:

Not usually. Fragrance are all formulated differently. You need to test top to bottom for every new fragrance. 

Thank you!  I didn't know a lot of this when beginning. Hopefully I'll learn as I go. Lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karen M said:

I love 6006, and usually use LX wicks with it. I agree the FO completely changes the burn characteristics, so may need to wick up or down depending. Some FO' s are heavy.

Started my first 4 hour burn test today. Getting a great hot throw! Very excited about that. This isn't my favorite scent but feel like I'm getting somewhere. 

Eco2 sooting some and hot glass

Cd4 and cd6 both looking pretty good so far. Glass not too hot melt pool close to full at 4 hour mark. 

I know I need to keep going but feeling pretty good about the smaller CDs. I like the flame on LX on another test but it tried to tunnel and had a hot flame/glass. 

Thanks hoping I can get 1 recipe mailed down. 

16 hours ago, NightLight said:

Ok good you went for the small wicks. You could try CDN wicks they burn slightly cooler than CDs. I love them. Lx can burn pretty hot.

There are Eco 1 wicks you could try.

Thanks!  

Update:  The eco is a no go. The cd4 is tunneling and idk if it'll catch up. The cd6 has started throwing soot. I was so excited now little bummed. 

I've tried cd, lx, and eco. What other options do I have?  HTP? CDN? Premier?  I don't want to use zinc. 

With the 12 oz. Mason Jar and the 9 oz straight-sided jar, I'm having good results with CDN8. Both of those are the same diameter as the 8 oz mason jars that I have as well.  I originally used HTP 83 but the flame was dimming out. The CDN8 was a better choice for me. 

I will double check when I get home, but I believe it was from Southwest Candle.  With that being said, I had to purchase CDN7's and lower from a different supplier.  

As far as soot... none would be optimal.  I think what is acceptable comes down to what is acceptable to you.  I shoot for no soot.  If it's at the end of the container and there's a little here and there, there might be a little wiggle room.  I would probably try a different wick series to rule it out.  Premier is a good option as Talltayl had mentioned. 

It also depends on your FO.  

The CD5 may work.  Unfortunately, you would have to test.  

This 6 has sooted very little. I'm not selling them yet and don't intend to keep this FO as a regular. 

I think I may pour up a few more with cd6 to give to family to test. I'll then try to buy some cdn and maybe premier. Do the cdn match size to the CD?  Like if the 6 is right there would I use a cdn 6?  I'd test a 6 and 8 I assume?

On premier I'm not sure which size 700 I should use. 

Kinda. They burn a tad cooler than the regular CD. There are some older posts where it states that the CDN's are like an in-between. I think it was Talltayl that mentioned a CDN8 would be like a CD7 so to speak. 

They have a coating on them that helps burn with the acidity in wax.

I just looked and I purchased mine from Southwest as well as Northstar for the smaller sizes. However, I checked online and it looks like candle cocoon sells the smaller and larger sizes. 

As far as Premier, I tested with the 735 and 745. I don't have a 740 but I think that would have worked for what I have. 

Edited to add to try a couple of different sizes in CDN...6,7,8 etc. 

Edited by SRez

44 minutes ago, SRez said:

Kinda. They burn a tad cooler than the regular CD. There are some older posts where it states that the CDN's are like an in-between. I think it was Talltayl that mentioned a CDN8 would be like a CD7 so to speak. 

They have a coating on them that helps burn with the acidity in wax.

I just looked and I purchased mine from Southwest as well as Northstar for the smaller sizes. However, I checked online and it looks like candle cocoon sells the smaller and larger sizes. 

As far as Premier, I tested with the 735 and 745. I don't have a 740 but I think that would have worked for what I have. 

Edited to add to try a couple of different sizes in CDN...6,7,8 etc. 

I just bought me some cdn wicks. I've also bought me some premier wicks. If I can't settle on one of these idk what I'll do. Lol. 

The cd6 is so close. I figured getting some if almost everything will be good going forward. Who knows what my next FO will like.