UPS is asking strange questions?

I went yesterday to UPS to drop off a shipment of candles that are going to FL. The guy at the counter asks what's in the box and if the candles are well packed? I said they were wrapped in bubble wrap and peanuts and the box was well tapped.

He asks me why there labels on the box saying FRAGILE then?

"The candles are container candles. They're poured into mason jars," I explained.

Are the packaged well enough that they can take a 70lb box being dropped on them?" :eek:

"We're talking about glass here. Glass breaks under pressure but they should be okay provided you don't drop the 70lb box directly on top of them."

"Well that's what I'm asking?" he announces.

Why would you drop a 70lb box on a 14pound box that is marked that handle with care? :rolleyes: I then proceeded to insure the box.

I called the woman in FL and told her to begin looking for the box at the end of the week.

When did UPS start asking stupid questions like this? Sounds like they are trying to wiggle out of damages that they inflict on packages that are marked like mine.

They starting asking questions like this at least here in north texas a few years ago. They don't ask if they pack the items. I think they are tired of getting claims. If I need something sent by UPS and it is a little more I just go to post net and send it. No questions are ask there at least not yet. LOL

Guest EMercier

I did a candle fundraiser for my mom's church and she's in GA. I had that problem with the UPS. My gel candle didn't make it right. He turned it all upside down and such. I complained and got my shipping back, but I was told that they can put "fragile" and "this end up" on packages. This is after I was told in the store it didn't matter. I sent gel through USPS and it made it find with my this end up and fragile on it.

I use to work for UPS and have to say these are all standard questions. Ones I use to have to ask everyday.

UPS wants you to have 2-4 of peanuts as well as 1-2 inches of bubble wrap around your items. The reason being is they will treat that box even though it's marked fragile just like the next one. They all go on a conveyor belt to get scanned and then tossed into a bin. If you only knew how that box was treated! :eek:

Do they really want that much bubble wrap and peanuts in a box? That would seem to add inches to the box and thus making it cost more to send. I know that stuff doenst weigh much, but doesnt UPS go by the size of the box also when calculating shipping? Just wondering :)

Pam

http://scentimentalgifts.tripod.com

Yes, they do really want that much and can deny a claim if something breaks and the proper amount of cushioning was not used. (esp. if it's a HIGH $ claim)

Anything under a cubic foot does not go by size. Once you get over that cubic foot then the prices really start adding up.

I can understand packages needing to be packed well, but IMO, that doesn't give UPS the right to treat boxes horribly. I know they do and there's nothing we can do about it, but why would anyone think it would be okay to drop a 70lb box onto a 14lb box whether or not it has fragile contents? That's ludicrous.

Could consider Fedex Ground. Their prices are much more reasonable than UPS, though I don't know how carefully they treat the packages. A 14 lb package costs between $5.44 and $10.93 to send, depending on where it's going, compared with $9.10 - $16.80 for UPS Ground, and $10.55 - $26.05 for USPS Priority Mail.

Well Fed Ex is not a local company. I'd have to drive 30mile to get to one of their terminals. The woman lives on Big Pine Island FLA so her end is limited too. But I am hoping this will still go well. She works in a place that wants to try my candles to see if they want to sell them and I'm hoping for the best.

I know God has it in His hands and even UPS will not mess with GOD! :P

They are insured.

I sent candles all over the US last year for Christmas and everything was fine. I think this woman was just having a bad day! :rolleyes:

At least I hope she was. :D

I wonder if they're seeing more claims now that they've started the flat rate priority boxes. I'm betting they're seeing more small boxes that are weighing a lot more than usual, and they haven't adjusted their procedures to take into account the flat rates that might be heavier than they expect.

I wonder if they're seeing more claims now that they've started the flat rate priority boxes. I'm betting they're seeing more small boxes that are weighing a lot more than usual, and they haven't adjusted their procedures to take into account the flat rates that might be heavier than they expect.

I have no idea about USPS Flate rate.... UPS has alwayd done okay for me except that their fees have really increased over the last year. :eek:

There are no words strong enough to describe how bad I DETEST UPS! ( and I am not that sure they dont THINK they are God !! ) They totally NEED a PR firm to revamp their image!

They pull those big ass trucks up and park them anywhere they please. They do not care who they keep waiting or inconvience, it is all about THEM and their $$$. They RUN ( literally) into my school and expect us to immediately drop everything we are doing to accomodate their signature requests. I have had them interrupt sales and clients talking...they have dumped HUGE boxes in the middle of the front door where people couldnt get in or out....I have had it OUT with them SO MANY times. I have called ( literally ) and BANNED certain drivers from delivering to my school because of their rudeness and unprofessionalism. I have a friend that works for them and I know their operation...I KNOW their policies and how much pressure is on everyone but honestly...I am WAY sick of UPS....YUKE

Whew...thanks I needed that

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of strange questions - I mailed out a package today ( USPS ) and they asked if it contained perfume or cologne? I stood there thinking what does that have to do with anything. It didn't but the question threw me for a loop

I wonder if they smelled something--they probably wanted to know because it could be flammable.

Regarding the UPS man and the packing questions, he probably thought he could scare you into buying a different box or more bubblewrap and peanuts. Him asking if it would withstand a 70 lb box being dropped on it deserved a reply that you're not an engineer, but that it's securely packaged in such a manner that if it's handled in a professional way, and not drop kicked by a team of baboons, that you are confident that it should reach it's destination in perfect condition.

Well my candle reached my client just fine and she went ahead and appoached a store on one of the islands and they are considering taking my candles on.

Oh, and my box had two Fragile stickers on it. Everything was fine and the box was in good condition when it arrived.:)

working a a factory..where items are shipped out..People will call and say they didn't get a item....The box must then be returned and weighed in...as they know what the weight was when it was shipped out...after that they have to figure...what has happened and where...UPS has to deal with all kinds of strange situations...In all fareness..If you give two inches on all sides..Your box will be able to withstand multi-boxes on top in the trucks..and pressure crusing...Two inches of insulation packing will cause the box to be in a flotation mode..Like being in a airbag...Kind regards,linda