Homesick Candles Trademarked City Names

I am cross-posting this in all candle groups so that you all are aware. My listing on Amazon (New Orleans) has been deactivated because Homesick Candle Company has trademarked ALOT of city names. I will be hiring an atty because we have been using quite a few of those city names long before they became a company.

They have also trademarked Zodiac Signs, in addition to some other very common phrases.

Here is the USTPO link for the list of names that have been trademarked: https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4803%3Aqkv74.2.101

Just FYI because I know ALOT of yall have done a Zodiac line or name candles after locations.

• Confused 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, secandleco said:

I am cross-posting this in all candle groups so that you all are aware. My listing on Amazon (New Orleans) has been deactivated because Homesick Candle Company has trademarked ALOT of city names. I will be hiring an atty because we have been using quite a few of those city names long before they became a company.

They have also trademarked Zodiac Signs, in addition to some other very common phrases.

Here is the USTPO link for the list of names that have been trademarked: https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4803%3Aqkv74.2.101

Just FYI because I know ALOT of yall have done a Zodiac line or name candles after locations.

A while back someone tried to trademark “soap loaf” and was defeated by the masses who use the phrase. Hopefully your quest to use existing terminology is successful.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

A while back someone tried to trademark “soap loaf” and was defeated by the masses who use the phrase. Hopefully your quest to use existing terminology is successful.  

reminds me of Yankmee when they trademarked "Tarts" LOL

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Laura C said:

I don't understand how they can trademark such common things as a state name or a zodiac sign. Maybe it's in combination with something else as well? 🤔

That's what I'm thinking. 

And it's hilarious how they themselves use trademarked names. LOL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Laura C said:

I don't understand how they can trademark such common things as a state name or a zodiac sign. Maybe it's in combination with something else as well? 🤔

IKr? It’s a combo of the word and the product type.  Not cheap to trademark at all.  Surprised it was not challenged. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, secandleco said:

What search terms did you use to discover New Orleans had been trademarked? Just “New Orleans” turns up 1,500 or so results.  Adding candle, homesick, home sick, etc. resulted in no results. 

They are using other trademarked names so they must have went out and got permission from those companies, which I don't think is cheap if you can get approved. Time will tell I guess. Their candles and labels look nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As a retailer I was appalled when a rep of mine shared what has been going on with small candle makers and the awful Homesick line. Jumping back to last November I received an email from a random candle maker back east (I'm on the west coast) asking why she was served a cease and desist. I had no idea what she was talking to and why she reach out to me other than my store was listed on the stockist for Homesick. I just brushed it off confused. Fast forward to this past week when a sales rep filled me in and I finally understood the down right shadiness Homesick is doing and the mystery of that email last fall all made sense. 

While this doesnt offer some sort of answer i do offer from one small biz to another.... You candle makers don't give up. Homesick can't win. The more that comes out about this the more people will turn on the line. I already know several retail shops (like ours) that have dropped the line as well as heard rumblings that certain wholesale groups are thinking about dropping the line entirely from showrooms. Keep pressing forward

• Like 1