Studio lights for product photography

Forrest

My wife has gotten into cookie decorating and wanted to put some of her cookies for sale online. I had just purchased a set of studio lights on Amazon, the MOUNTDOG Softbox Lighting Kit, so we set them up and she took pictures with her IPhone. Those pictures were much better than shots I took with my Nikon on a tripod before I got the lights. My lights cost $70, but they have them as low as $40. Having the studio lights allows you to control the amount and direction of the light. Having two lights gives you a lot of flexibility. If you are shooting your product indoors I highly recommend you get a set.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have constant on lights going through white umbrellas.  Two of them do a real nice job with small backdrops.  I think the lighting is much better than the mini-photo box that I bought off Amazon.  In photography, I do think bigger is better, but I also think shooting in RAW and editing in Lightroom or PS goes a long way as well.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree that adjusting lighting in PS can make a world of difference.  I only have an old version of PS, but even with that, I can get a photo to look much better there.  If "levels" or "curves" doesn't work well enough, "render-->lighting effects" is something to experiment with using the basic features.