Wick up or reduce fragrance load?

How can you determine when to try which method?  Testing two beautiful (but heavy) scents--a Vanilla Tobacco (Fillmore) and Birchwood Oud (BB) in 464.  Both burn ok with a small amount of HT for about 20 minutes, then the flame disappears to just a glow.  So obviously it's too heavy.  Both candles tunneled a bit too, with close to 1/2 inch melt pool.  How do I know when to wick up (already trying Premier 765 in both, which handles most of our heavy scents like a champ) or when to back off a bit on the oil?  

Working on our man candles is killing me!

It is already made definitely try wicking  up and if needed change Wick series. Sometimes eco-do the job or CD can’t for instance.

I recently had to resort to CDN double wicking to get a particular heavy fragrance to burn properly.  The chemical treatment to CDN fibers actually preserved the wick material so it could do its job.

Which series burns hotter than Premiers?  We originally started with CDs but really liked the smaller increment range of the Premier to fine tune--and they don't mushroom much either.   I went from a 765 to a 770, and within 45 minutes wick was starting to drown.  But starting to get nice HT before the drowning.  Trying 785 next, then will switch--what would be comparable in the CD or ECO series?  I have sample packs of all of them.  

I'm also struggled to get a nutmeg/ginger combo from not drowning.  Starting to wonder if I have a bad batch of wax or wicks.   

And the wickectomy worked perfectly!  What a time saver!

Edited by ellajoan

It wasn’t a matter really Of burning hotter, just burning more efficiently.

For my project I went all the way to the top of the Premier, csn, cd, htp and more series and it still fizzled. Double wicking with smaller CDN happened to solve the particular problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellajoan said:

Thanks TT.  The 8 oz flint is a fairly small diameter, so I'm not certain I could double wick.  

As luck would have it, I have all other wicks you mentioned in my "arsenal," but no CDNs.  I shall press on!  

I don’t generally like to multiple wick in jars less than3” in in diameter, but with a couple particular FO it works perfectly, better, cleaner and safer than single wick in “normal” scents. It might not be the worst thing to try in your hard to burn FO.

you can also look into diluents for candles. Basenotes forum has a few nice threads about the Common candle options: DEP, DOA and IPM.

Ok, this Vanilla Tobacco from Fillmore is killing me!  I've gone to the top of the Premier Series and to the top of the CD series--now starting on ECO (in 464).  I have never been able to get a scent not to throw (apart from one very heavy smoke scent a few years back).  I've rewicked the darn candle so many times!

Any suggestions?  Do any of you just fail at finding the right wick?