How best to sanitize lotion bottles to reuse them?

Darbla

I would like to minimize throwing plastics away, so can I sanitize bottles I already have and reuse?  Is it simply a matter of hot soapy water and then rinsing with some alcohol for good measure, then refilling with my base lotion + FO blend?  I don't see how you could thoroughly scrub out a pump tube but maybe pumping some alcohol through it is good enough?

And with shower gel, does the fact that you only ever run soap / shower gel through it anyway keep it clean enough to just refill and keep going?

Edited by Darbla

I have not tried to re-use pumps, but with bottles I wash with hot soapy water.  then rinse.  Then submerge in a bleach /water solution.  do not rinse the bleach solution, just let it air dry.  You could probably do the same with the pumps, pump the soapy water thru, then clear water, then bleach solution.  Just not sure how to get them to dry properly.

I discovered Star San and didn’t look back. It is edible (used in beer and wine making) and Does not burn when diluted properly like bleach can. 

It is no rinse, so bonus. 

plastic is really difficult to get clean.