Smoke Alarm

Who has one in their candle work room? Boy! Im going out to buy a couple TODAY!!! I went out to my shop and turned on a few of my pots of wax. Figure I waited enough to go back and check on them and my banana nut bread was HOTTTT! 380!! on the temp!! Somebody kick me:embarasse .Turned on 2 fans to get the smoke out.Could hardly see to the other side of room. Scared me to death . If my dh had walked outside to smoke a cig I would be dead.OMG

Well, the wax has cooled down now .Cant smell FO and the color has faded out.:embarasse .

I let the double boiler run dry ( I was even in the same room just didn't check) walked out for 5 minutes to visit Mrs. White.

Started smelling something smokey...

Came back couldn't see my hand in front of my face in the kitchen.

At least you have this done and over with.

Its kind of a karma thing. Once you've burned up a batch of wax, it probably won't happen again for a little while, maybe...

:)

A week ago I turned off my Presto and left the kitchen, except that I didn't turn it off, I really turned it to "high" accidentally. My wax was super hot and was smoking a little. It smelled awful too. I had to throw it away and wipe out the presto pretty well to get the scorched smell out. Scared me to death too. Glad I didn't set the kitchen on fire that time.

Something I do for safety in my own home.

When I turn my wax stove top on, in my basement, I always stretch a RED bunggie cord across the staircase opening of my spirial staircase in the basement as well as another at the side door in the basement to go outside!

Whenever I want to leave my basement, I have to doublecheck that the burner are OFF & COOLED! I can't remove those bungees without double checking!:shocked2:

The other thing I do is I have a five gallon bucket filled with water near the stove and a one quart mason jar for adding the water to the double boiler when I turn it on. The water MUST be up to a certain level before I can start melting wax!:rolleyes2

These are the safety feature I installed in my own basement to insure that I never left the house with a stove on or a double boiler going with low water level. I don't know it it works for you but it sure works for me. I've been through two fires due to other peoples negligence and I'm not losing my new home to my own stupidity!:embarasse

Fire

I work in the basement and have a smoke alarm pretty much right above me. It's gone off once. I also have a shop light above me which is plugged into one of those power strips that has to be turned ON to work. I have my presto pots plugged into this. This gives me double protection if I ever forget to unplug the presto. If my light is off, my prestos are off. When I heat wax, I put one of those probe thermometers in the presto, and set if for 200. When the wax hits the temp, the alarm goes off.

I also keep a fire extinguisher handy in my work area.

A week ago I turned off my Presto and left the kitchen, except that I didn't turn it off, I really turned it to "high" accidentally. My wax was super hot and was smoking a little. It smelled awful too. I had to throw it away and wipe out the presto pretty well to get the scorched smell out. Scared me to death too. Glad I didn't set the kitchen on fire that time.

I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago. Lost about 5 pounds of wax. :sad2:

Fire and Ice,I have been through a house fire because of negligence too but recently I made a mistake. I always wanted a smoke alarm in the kitchen but hubby said NO.Hallway where we would have plenty of time to get out.NOT SO I feel.So a couple months ago(not candle related) I turned my microwave on and realized it was to be for 6 minutes and I had it on 4 minutes.So I thought I wiped out the 4 minutes but didn't.So quite a while went by and I walked out of the computer room and the house was filled with smoke.I was barely able to turn off the microwave and get out.Just as I did I THINK I heard the smoke alarm.Kinda late and I am insisting one be in the kitchen now.Should never got that bad without me knowing it.If the smoke alarm was in the kitchen like it should be never would have got out of hand.

LynnS

We did install a electric smoke alarm but I still do not trust it.We should test it just like the battery operated ones too.I know I am overbearing and husband will think it is foolish.I am sure those electric ones are not for life.I am sure they need to be replaced.Now I am thinking of things I want to take care of.

I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago. Lost about 5 pounds of wax. :sad2:

Yeah, thankfully I had just finished dipping a bear, so there wasn't much wax left in the pot, but boy did it stink. I hate wasting supplies and I also hate throwing stuff away because of my own carelessness. :sad2:

I did that same thing a couple of weeks ago in my basement shop - kept having a nagging feeling that I had done it, so I went to check, and that wax was smoking - I don't have a smoke detector down there, YET, but will get one soon.

Thank you for all the replys.Im alost deaf so a alarm going off ,I probable wouldnt hear it.Even got my dil to give me her old baby monitor and tv to put out there. After the other day, came to the decision to keep my @ss out there.Common sense. I dont need a college degree to figure that one out.LoL

Your are sooooo lucky....I am such an insane person that I could have used that wax.....I always have large containers of sand around and very very hot wax makes a great "crust" of sand.....but then again I am insane. LOL Donita

LOL that is soo true! That would have made a really great sand candle!

We did install a electric smoke alarm but I still do not trust it.We should test it just like the battery operated ones too.I know I am overbearing and husband will think it is foolish.I am sure those electric ones are not for life.I am sure they need to be replaced.Now I am thinking of things I want to take care of.

We have an electric smoke alarm that had a short and kept going off. We ended up having to turn that switch on the circuit breaker off and bought a battery operated smoke alarm. I feel more secure with it because we change the batteries every 6 months and don't have to worry about if it will work if the electricity goes out.