Wick testing in palm?

calan

I’ve tried all of them in palm waxes and found the CSN were the only consistent burns. Worth the investment since failures also cost $. 

If candle science ever drops the line, Atkins and Pearce sell them.  A couple of us have split mins in the past. I like CSN in many different waxes often where other wicks fail, so worth every penny. 

Also have some of the V series, which seem to burn ok too in the few I have made. 

• Like 2

I went ahead and ordered the CSN sample pack and a package of CSN 7's.

I'm loving this wax. So easy, beautiful, less expensive, and less cost on FO. And I've already had a couple of really decent candles, even with CD wicks and a very short cure.

I just poured one in the short square mason jar with a wood wick, just for giggles. Might as well push the envelope, although I really have no idea what to expect. I have a good combination of 4636 and a plain .03 - 3/8" wick in that jar, but no idea about the palm. I used wood wick's recommendation of a .03 - 3/8" booster wick in 100% palm @ 2.5", but based on my testing I don't think it will be hot enough. We shall see.  :D

Edited by calan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I like CSN in many different waxes often where other wicks fail, so worth every penny. 

That's good to know. Your suggestion of trying a CD in that "Dicken's Christmas" candle I made that just wouldn't wick was spot on. I tried all my usual wicks for that jar and wax (LX 18 through 24, Zinc 51 and 60, and a couple of Premiers) and nothing would burn right at all... but a CD-8 worked fine. Still didn't throw worth a damn, but it finally burned nicely.  :)

Weird how one FO can be so radically different than anything else in the same jar/wax/dye/FO percentage combo.

Edited by calan

8 hours ago, calan said:

I just poured one in the short square mason jar with a wood wick, just for giggles. Might as well push the envelope, although I really have no idea what to expect. I have a good combination of 4636 and a plain .03 - 3/8" wick in that jar, but no idea about the palm. I used wood wick's recommendation of a .03 - 3/8" booster wick in 100% palm @ 2.5", but based on my testing I don't think it will be hot enough. We shall see.  :D

Watch those wooden wicks closely in palm.  It was a wooden wick in a glass Libbey jar palm wax that caught fire i my house and sent glass shooting across the room. Charred the wooden table it was on.

cottonwood wicks also get really dicey btw. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 3:15 AM, calan said:

Here is the FC Woodland Foliage (basically pine) at 5%, after about 22 hours with a CD-20 wick. Pretty good HT, and it only cured about 3-4 days.

20191221_021000.thumb.jpg.129e6f9d6e55ea22ec2917e0322751bf.jpg

20191221_021015.thumb.jpg.1c7e3beae6e3769f52b2f6fd804625fa.jpg

That looks great!

Looking at the jar, I think a CSN 7 will be perfect for that. A side by side burn would be illuminating (haha!).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Watch those wooden wicks closely in palm.  It was a wooden wick in a glass Libbey jar palm wax that caught fire i my house and sent glass shooting across the room. Charred the wooden table it was on.

What FO % was that?

Hopefully I'm starting off on the cool side, if my assumptions are correct. But I'll make sure to put it on a plate and watch it closely.  :)