Social Media - Crazy

MilosCandles

On 10/31/2019 at 2:19 PM, MilosCandles said:

More of the problem that I had was that people just do not understand Etsy.  They thought when they were on the product that said Mt Dew Can and then selected the Scent as Dr Pepper that the can would some how magically change also to match.  Really it just comes down to reading and verifying your order which I have come to realize is VERY difficult for people.

As a librarian, let me tell you that so many people fail to read. I've worked public librarianship and now I'm in school librarianship. Let me tell you: age doesn't matter when it comes to reading. A lot of people don't do it, and when you point it out to them, they're all, "Oh. Well, I..." and give me some excuse. 

Sigh. Big sigh. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, YellowButterfly said:

As a librarian, let me tell you that so many people fail to read. I've worked public librarianship and now I'm in school librarianship. Let me tell you: age doesn't matter when it comes to reading. A lot of people don't do it, and when you point it out to them, they're all, "Oh. Well, I..." and give me some excuse. 

Sigh. Big sigh. 

So so so so true. This is echoed in the parallel thread about product photography right now. We have to be so specific because people don’t take the time to read.

Likewise,  providing a packing slip of every order prevents (at least reduces)  complaints. When their order is in black and white in front of them with a check mark, circle, initials, whatever to show a human verified what the person ordered it makes I it harder for someone to complain they did not get what they ordered.

• Like 1

@TallTaylThis is good advice.  In the past I never printed packing lists, but since I started having people work for me this year I did start and I was just throwing them away after shipping.  Maybe they just need to go in the box going forward.  Especially for the orders that make no sense to me.

I thought maybe this social media craze was over.  Well today it just took off again.

https://www.facebook.com/delish/posts/10158769955127437

Today this post which was posted on 10/22/2019, slow 3 weeks ago.    Today at 2:15pm (Eastern) had 19k shares.  just over 2 hours later at 4:30pm it now has 44k Shares.  My etsy site is blowing up again.

I am glad I just got back from a week in Orlando.  Back down to my basement for the next 6 weeks.  See everyone just after Christmas.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MilosCandles said:

@TallTaylThis is good advice.  In the past I never printed packing lists, but since I started having people work for me this year I did start and I was just throwing them away after shipping.  Maybe they just need to go in the box going forward.  Especially for the orders that make no sense to me.

I put packing slips in EVERY order. People forget what they order.

Heck I forget what I ordered!  Sure is nice to have a reference when opening the box. 

OMG!

https://www.wthr.com/article/online-shop-selling-soda-beer-scented-candles

Read this article,  LOL  This is making me laugh

A Dr. Pepper scented candle is breaking the internet. So much that it sold out.

No word yet if the company plans to relaunch and offer the Dr. Pepper candle to the public again.

PS  No one reached out to me.  LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

OMG!

https://www.wthr.com/article/online-shop-selling-soda-beer-scented-candles

Read this article,  LOL  This is making me laugh

A Dr. Pepper scented candle is breaking the internet. So much that it sold out.

No word yet if the company plans to relaunch and offer the Dr. Pepper candle to the public again.

PS  No one reached out to me.  LOL

Clever of you to make a limited amount of candles to keep the demand strong.....🤣🤣

• 1 month later...

So this has been a crazy few months.  The 1st wave of Social media came Middle of October with Mountain Dew cans.  Then about 3-4 week later an old post about Dr Pepper cans took off.  I made it through Christmas and took some time away from my basement.  Well then some news stations updated the article again.

https://www.13newsnow.com/video/features/trending-today/candles/273-4e026337-cf11-46a3-8f81-25767fb81d9b?jwsource=em

Nothing like it was a few months ago but it is amusing or old posts can get brought up again and again.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 2:19 PM, MilosCandles said:

More of the problem that I had was that people just do not understand Etsy.  They thought when they were on the product that said Mt Dew Can and then selected the Scent as Dr Pepper that the can would some how magically change also to match.  Really it just comes down to reading and verifying your order which I have come to realize is VERY difficult for people.

Amen to that. 😄 Some people don't, won't or can't read online product information for some reason. I see it all the time. Some of the big one's are, "I thought it would be bigger" or "I thought it would be smaller" even when the listing specifically lists the sizes or dimensions of a product. Duh, grab a ruler or tape measure next time and see just how big or small they are telling you it is, geez. That one really irks me and it irks me when the listing doesn't list the sizes or dimensions, LOL. I'll move on and buy the product that has the size listed. This is particularly true for me when I'm shopping for candle making and wax melt supplies. As crafters and people that need to know the details, that info is very important for decision making.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 3:16 AM, NewtonAgency said:

Did it ever blow up again? It might because the original blogger and facebook post used affiliate links so if the sales were good they made money to so they may either bump the old story again or recreate it if your product was a good seller and made them money.

Yes it did, not like in the fall. 

Yes they do continue to post the message on their facebook page.