Any diehard 415 users out there?

I ditched it a long time ago....at the start of all the changes in soy 

as sad as I was and mad, I had so many scents tested, like over a 100 and so many jars already permanently wicked and ready to go for 415 and I just couldn’t bring myself to settle for the “new” norm with this wax 

been over a year testing new waxes and finally think I’m there and it’s so worth it because now I feel my candles will be so much more consistent and overall better in every aspect but I also do this more on the side than as a full time business not depending on it for income so I had enough old stock to keep going while I tested new  

if it’s working for you and your customers are happy you have to ask yourself if it’s worth it to you and your business to switch because switching isn’t a overnight thing - it takes forever I’m sure you know to learn a new wax and know how it’s going to behave a month - two- 6 to a year down the road - but then again the new 415 is to be determined as well how it will perform down the road 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

I ditched it a long time ago....at the start of all the changes in soy 

as sad as I was and mad, I had so many scents tested, like over a 100 and so many jars already permanently wicked and ready to go for 415 and I just couldn’t bring myself to settle for the “new” norm with this wax 

been over a year testing new waxes and finally think I’m there and it’s so worth it because now I feel my candles will be so much more consistent and overall better in every aspect but I also do this more on the side than as a full time business not depending on it for income so I had enough old stock to keep going while I tested new  

if it’s working for you and your customers are happy you have to ask yourself if it’s worth it to you and your business to switch because switching isn’t a overnight thing - it takes forever I’m sure you know to learn a new wax and know how it’s going to behave a month - two- 6 to a year down the road - but then again the new 415 is to be determined as well how it will perform down the road 

I, also, had over 100 fragrances tested in 415 before the changes which I saw with my 2017 batch. I think I now have about 50 tested out and am weeding out some(still have some older wax for that) and trying to streamline a little bit. That change did almost cost my mental health, but I have been pretty happy with the 'new' 415 and my product, after I got my wicking figured out. My 2 batches of wax from 2018 have been very consistent.

I do depend on the candles to supplement my income(hay for 25 horses), so I really didn't have a choice but to figure it out. Can't imagine starting with a new wax, I've used only 415 for 12 years. What wax did you end up going to?

That all being said, I did order another pallet, wish me luck.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:15 PM, bktolbert said:

Newer user to 415, but it's primarily what I use. I do mix universal soy additive and coconut oil, but I've been happy so far. I've just come to accept there are some fo that will not throw no matter what.

You've probably already considered this but just wanted to mention it. Be careful how much universal soy additive you use because it can do two things if you go over board, decrease scent throw and make the wax too hard and too difficult to wick properly. Been there, done that. You have to find the right mix and it certainly will increase scent throw in a soy or coconut wax blend.

2 hours ago, Laura C said:

You've probably already considered this but just wanted to mention it. Be careful how much universal soy additive you use because it can do two things if you go over board, decrease scent throw and make the wax too hard and too difficult to wick properly. Been there, done that. You have to find the right mix and it certainly will increase scent throw in a soy or coconut wax blend.

Definitely! I've been experimenting with the USA <1%. I don't know what's in it, but at such a low percentage it can really change a lot. I also really hate that I don't know what's in it... and it seems there's only 1 supplier https://thecandlemakersstore.com/universal-soy-wax-additive.html.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:14 PM, Lighten Up said:

I, also, had over 100 fragrances tested in 415 before the changes which I saw with my 2017 batch. I think I now have about 50 tested out and am weeding out some(still have some older wax for that) and trying to streamline a little bit. That change did almost cost my mental health, but I have been pretty happy with the 'new' 415 and my product, after I got my wicking figured out. My 2 batches of wax from 2018 have been very consistent.

I do depend on the candles to supplement my income(hay for 25 horses), so I really didn't have a choice but to figure it out. Can't imagine starting with a new wax, I've used only 415 for 12 years. What wax did you end up going to?

That all being said, I did order another pallet, wish me luck.

You are a brave soul...I hope it works out for you!!

14 hours ago, Lighten Up said:

Idk about brave, but definitely stubborn. Are you a 415 user?

No LU...I don't sell candles, only test test test lol...then I use them myself and give them to servers at our local pub..my hair stylist etc... I almost had the process where I wanted it when EcoSoya decided to stop production...and I couldn't get back to where I was so I switched to 6006.  Seems to be working good.  That one poster earlier that said he mixes C3 with coco easy beads and gets a "knock your socks off" hot throw has me thinking. 😏

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd share an update, if anyone is interested:

This batch of 415  is really nice, very consistent, good cold & hot throw. It doesn't seem as fussy as the previous batches, not having the bubble issue(so far).

I've tested about 15 fragrances in 2 diff jars, only have one that struggles a little and it's a cinnamon. I like it so much I think I'm ordering another pallet of the same lot, that will get me through the whole year.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lighten Up said:

Thought I'd share an update, if anyone is interested:

This batch of 415  is really nice, very consistent, good cold & hot throw. It doesn't seem as fussy as the previous batches, not having the bubble issue(so far).

I've tested about 15 fragrances in 2 diff jars, only have one that struggles a little and it's a cinnamon. I like it so much I think I'm ordering another pallet of the same lot, that will get me through the whole year.

Fingers crossed it continues to work for you. 

12 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Fingers crossed it continues to work for you. 

I know, right?  I'm having a little anxiety to be sitting on this much wax, but, weighing the alternative of starting over in the fall with a new lot... I think if I don't, I'll wish I had.