Fragrance oil v/s Essential oils

Vee

Guys with the world turning and wanting ‘organic ‘ and natural ingredients in everything I am faced with a dilemma! Wonder what people out there are doing about it .. would love to share some thoughts and learn some stuff too.

I have been making paraffin wax candles, also make a para soy blend. I use beeswax for melts.

But the real issue is with FO.

From what I know and have tested out too.. essential oils do not work in candles! There is hardly any hot throw. And as far I as I know most people use candle grade fragrance oil. Which is not natural or organic . If one wants to move to 100% organic what are the options?

One could move to soy wax.. maybe coconut wax ( which is not available so far) where I live.. or even beeswax but what do you substitute for fragrance?

There are quite a few companies out there that say made from 100% natural ingredients.. what do they use.. how do they do that? What am I missing!

Guys please share your thoughts and throw some light on this

Thanks in advance for taking time to help! 

I myself, as a maker or a consumer, don't care which type of oil is used as long as it smells good and has a decent throw. I've not jumped on any of those bandwagons; all natural, vegan, organic, yada, yada, yada. LOL. But here's some links for more info if you are interested.

https://www.craftserver.com/topic/113671-essential-oil-vs-fragrance-oil/?tab=comments#comment-1076728

https://www.craftserver.com/topic/108703-soy-wax-essential-oil/?tab=comments#comment-1019009

Great topic. I’ve been researching this as well. I’ve been a soaper for many years and vowed to keep it as natural as possible only using essential oils. Now transitioning to candles I haven been using f.o. There is a wider range of scents with f.o. that I’m really enjoying. I’ve been playing with using all essential oils in my candles and had some success but it’s really hit or miss. I blend my wax, coconut from Northwood Distributing and 464 soy wax. I made a lemongrass and lavender candle, very weak in both cold and hot throw. Another candle with Palo santo and it was spectacular. So like everyone else, testing is important. I’ve noticed another trend in candle making mixing the two, using both essential oils and f.o.together. I will definitely explore this option and share it here. I do think in the end people want a great smelling product. The word natural is miss leading and over used so often in products that really aren’t. 

Great links Laura!

Oh oh wanted to add, essential oils are expensive! Are you willing to increase the price of your products? Will customers want to pay extra?

Edited by CandleRush
  • Like 1

When I started soapmaking years ago I too was going for as natural as possible, however, I was continually getting requests for scents like Love Spell, Mango etc....started switching from EO's to FO's and my sales tripled.  I still carry a few EO soaps but FO scents hands down sell better than my EO soaps and body products. At least in my area, people aren't that picky.

• Like 1

This story is as old as time. I learned that what people say they want and what they actually buy are often very different. Much of The “All Natural” crowd is very small and quite fickle.  They follow what they think is chic publicly yet will scarf down a Twinkie when nobody is watching. 

in the end, be true to yourself.  Make what YOU like and find your market of people who enjoy the same. I learned the hard way that what does not sell needs to be used in my own house.  If I can’t get excited about it then it will hit the dumpster. I make what I love to use and the rest sorts itself out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

WSP sells some natural fragrance oils, I think. They're costly.

EOs generally don't perform well in waxes. You could try using certain solvents, antioxidants and such to help them perform better in wax. I'm not very familiar on the subject so I can't say for certain if that would have a positive effect, but it's worth looking in to. The EOs will still be heavier than synthetic volatile aroma chemicals, so the throw might not be as strong as with FOs. EOs also have a tendency to degrade (or catch fire...) when exposed to heat - another reason for an antioxidant - and flame. Some EOs come with solvents in them to help them blend with the carrier oil/filler you're not supposed to know is there... That said, it's possible to include EOs in FOs. Just about all of Candlescience's have EOs or substances extracted from EOs in them.

Rustic Escentuals just had a survey asking about natural fragrances and essential oils. I'd keep an eye on them over the year to see if they eventually stock some "natural" EO-based fragrances.

This has been an issue for me from time to time with the very Earth Crunchy types. I have posted this same question and comments for years. My big pet peeve now is other candle makers that emphasize the essential oil part of their fragrance listing to get that crowd many omitting the fragrance oil part or putting it in small letters. The all natural essential oil Banana Nut Bread or Bubble Gum candle. 

Karen in MA

• Like 1

Thank you guys for engaging with this topic! I still struggle with this question posed by buyers about using natural ingredients ie wax and scented oil... if I try to educate them they don’t really want to know the ‘truth’ and move on to the guys who say they use EO and don’t . I guess at the end of the day one can only practice what one truly believes in.. and be willing to pay the price of losing some clients in the bargain..