I made a custom blend fragrance, and I like it!

GailC

I know some of you do lots of custom blends but I have only done a few, and so I am especially pleased with how this concoction turned out.  :)

I have a new small wholesale account and the client wanted a custom scent the name of her new shop, Farmhouse Market. Something 'warm and country feeling' she said. I looked up Farmer's Market fragrances and told her that they were all a mixture of fruit and spices, but she said she and her partner were leaning more toward spices and no fruit.

So I asked her about using vanilla and a nutty scent along with cinnamon and she agreed to that. So here's what I came up with:

2 parts Vanilla

1 part  Potpourri Spice (NG)

1 part Gingerbread

1 part Squirrelly Nut (Aztec) 

.5 part Clove

I think she will be pleased with this fragrance.  

And speaking of spicy scents, I got a sample of Nutmeg & Spice in my Flaming Candle order today and it smells wonderful OOB.  @Trappeur, I know you use a lot of FC fragrances.  Have you tried this one?  I also got a pound of Sweet Strawberry because I had gotten a sample of that with an order and it smelled good and had good reviews.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GailC said:

I know some of you do lots of custom blends but I have only done a few, and so I am especially pleased with how this concoction turned out.  :)

I have a new small wholesale account and the client wanted a custom scent the name of her new shop, Farmhouse Market. Something 'warm and country feeling' she said. I looked up Farmer's Market fragrances and told her that they were all a mixture of fruit and spices, but she said she and her partner were leaning more toward spices and no fruit.

So I asked her about using vanilla and a nutty scent along with cinnamon and she agreed to that. So here's what I came up with:

2 parts Vanilla

1 part  Potpourri Spice (NG)

1 part Gingerbread

1 part Squirrelly Nut (Aztec) 

.5 part Clove

I think she will be pleased with this fragrance.  

And speaking of spicy scents, I got a sample of Nutmeg & Spice in my Flaming Candle order today and it smells wonderful OOB.  @Trappeur, I know you use a lot of FC fragrances.  Have you tried this one?  I also got a pound of Sweet Strawberry because I had gotten a sample of that with an order and it smelled good and had good reviews.  

Hey Gail!

Boy that blend sounds like me too...

If you need a good strong fast throwing vanilla get Fillmores' French Vanilla just in case you don't have one you especially like.

I love love love squirrely nut from Aztec but I could never get any throw from it.   I need to try again.

Who's clove do you use?

I have never tried Flamings Nutmeg and Spice although I have looked at it a gazillion times.   Guess I will on next week's weekly order from them.   Good choice for the Sweet Strawberry as it is the only one I use from a supplier.   For me, its a bomb thrower....and so darn realistic!

Trappeur

• Like 2

Ha ha ha Sunday!   Thanks.....You know how we all have disgusting photo's we hate of ourselves...me too.   Everyone thinks I'm like in my 30's looking at this picture but not anymore...You don't want to know how old I am.   lol   I couldn't believe that when they did they picture all they did was put a cowboy hat on and a wig as I had my hair cut this past 1 1/2 years to a short hair cut but it's much longer now down to my shoulders now but it's the same color as in this picture..    I always had my hair this length as in picture but got tired of pushing it up under a ball cap and my hair has always been very fine and thin so I had it cut and it was so much easier to maintain.   All else in the picture is the true me...even that day I actually did my makeup for the day.  Maybe I "should" go buy a wig! ha ha ha.  But it is a true picture of me.   This picture is up to date.  

Trappeur

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Hey Gail!

Boy that blend sounds like me too...

If you need a good strong fast throwing vanilla get Fillmores' French Vanilla just in case you don't have one you especially like.

I love love love squirrely nut from Aztec but I could never get any throw from it.   I need to try again.

Who's clove do you use?

I have never tried Flamings Nutmeg and Spice although I have looked at it a gazillion times.   Guess I will on next week's weekly order from them.   Good choice for the Sweet Strawberry as it is the only one I use from a supplier.   For me, its a bomb thrower....and so darn realistic!

Trappeur

I have never ordered from Fillmore.....and sure don't want to add another supplier to my list!   But in case I ever weaken I will keep the French Vanilla in mind.  My favorite vanilla is Very Vanilla from CS.  But I used another vanilla I had for this blend.  

I like Squirrelly Nut from Aztec but it wasn't a big seller for me, except for my neighbor who loves it.  

I bought a bottle of Clove Essential oil from a local lady who was selling most of her supplies. She got it from WSP and it's very expensive from them.  I was hesitant to buy it because I have always read that essentials oils don't work well for candles, but she assured me that the Clove did and had me smell her clove candle.  That's why I only used .5 parts in my recipe.  I still wouldn't make a pure clove candle out of it, but I thought it was about time I tried it in a blend.

I really like Strawberry Shortcake from CS; it's the only strawberry I've been keen on of the Strawberries I've tried, but I was sold on the sample of sweet Strawberry from FC.  It was probably your recommendation that induced me to ask for that sample on one of my FC orders.  So far the FO's you've recommended on this board and that I've tried have been winners, so thanks!  Chai is one of my best sellers and the Lemon Verbena is wonderful.  I don't order many FO's from Flaming.  Mostly jars.  But I'm slowly increasing my inventory from them.  I also have Redwood & Cedar from them.  Not one of my personal very favorites, but customers have liked it.  I need to make some more of those candles.  The only other one I have so far is Vanilla Bean Noel, but I haven't tried it yet.

1 hour ago, GailC said:

I also have Redwood & Cedar from them.  Not one of my personal very favorites, but customers have liked it.  I need to make some more of those candles.  The only other one I have so far is Vanilla Bean Noel, but I haven't tried it yet.

I like tree scents so I really like the Redwood & Cedar. I recently used Vanilla Bean Noel BBW from Aztec and it smells really good. I wasn't sure about it at first but the more I smell it, the more I like it. To me is seems to have some notes of musk in it, and I love musk.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Ha ha ha Sunday!   Thanks.....You know how we all have disgusting photo's we hate of ourselves...me too.   Everyone thinks I'm like in my 30's looking at this picture but not anymore...You don't want to know how old I am.   lol   I couldn't believe that when they did they picture all they did was put a cowboy hat on and a wig as I had my hair cut this past 1 1/2 years to a short hair cut but it's much longer now down to my shoulders now but it's the same color as in this picture..    I always had my hair this length as in picture but got tired of pushing it up under a ball cap and my hair has always been very fine and thin so I had it cut and it was so much easier to maintain.   All else in the picture is the true me...even that day I actually did my makeup for the day.  Maybe I "should" go buy a wig! ha ha ha.  But it is a true picture of me.   This picture is up to date.  

Hahaha// it's that beautiful smile and those eyes and those cheekbones ....I'm pretty sure that's all you!!...all the rest is just window dressing anyways .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Laura C said:

I like tree scents so I really like the Redwood & Cedar. I recently used Vanilla Bean Noel BBW from Aztec and it smells really good. I wasn't sure about it at first but the more I smell it, the more I like it. To me is seems to have some notes of musk in it, and I love musk.

Wait!  I have used Flaming's VBN and it is good.  It's the VBN I got from Fragrance Buddy that I haven't used yet.  The first VBN I ever ordered was from Indiana Candle Supply and their's was good.  I just quit ordering from there, although I do like the oils I have gotten from ICS.

Next to CS Very Vanilla, I like VBN best of all the vanillas I've tried.

• Like 1

Actually my still personal favorite is vbn from wsp.   But I'll tell you what ....that vbn the last few times I put in 464 it wasn't up to par with me so I know it's the darn wax.   When I get situated better with all this chemo crap I'm going to start testing some other waxes for the very first time ever in my history of candlemaking and at this point I don't mind what wax I'm going to test whether it is a soy, a blend, parrafin or one of those beautiful palm waxes...it doesn't make any difference to me.''

Trappeur                

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trappeur said:

Actually my still personal favorite is vbn from wsp.   But I'll tell you what ....that vbn the last few times I put in 464 it wasn't up to par with me so I know it's the darn wax.   When I get situated better with all this chemo crap I'm going to start testing some other waxes for the very first time ever in my history of candlemaking and at this point I don't mind what wax I'm going to test whether it is a soy, a blend, parrafin or one of those beautiful palm waxes...it doesn't make any difference to me.''

Trappeur                

Sounds like quite an undertaking.  The paraffin/soy wax blends are so much more expensive.  You would have to raise your prices across the board I would think.  

I know, Goldie.   I see some of these waxes are double what 464 is and have been wondering how in the world I am going to have to adjust pricing...but I'll cross that bridge when I see if there is really something out there that is outstanding....

You know, I never see where people blend a palm with a soy or parraffin...maybe they don't.   I think I have read that combing those two you lose the beautiful crystallization with palm, but that would be ok with me....but I would like to try some experimenting.   I wonder if there really is a thing like what I'm asking.

Trappeur

1 hour ago, GailC said:

The first VBN I ever ordered was from Indiana Candle Supply and their's was good.  I just quit ordering from there, although I do like the oils I have gotten from ICS.

I'll have to visit ICS and see what they have, never shopped there. I like to see the different stuff that other suppliers have.

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

@Trappeur C-3 wax is a blend of soy and palm, I believe.  I'm in the testing stage of C-1 with fragrance right now.  I do have C-3 and hope to get some fragrance in that soon.

GoldieMN

(That’s reversed... c1 has palm.  C3 is all soy product.)

8 hours ago, Laura C said:

I'll have to visit ICS and see what they have, never shopped there. I like to see the different stuff that other suppliers have.

I really liked the Sugar Cookie Dough.  I have read good reviews on this board about the different coffee scents she has.  If I ever pare down some of the FO's I already have, I really would like to try some more from ICS.  I live in Indiana, so I like to 'shop local' even though they don't have a store front.  Mill Creek is also in Indiana, and I have several FO's from there.  Wish I could go to both places and pick up orders.

I have driven to Hamilton Ohio several times to The Candlemaker's Store to get jars and wax, around 2 1/2 hours away from me.  I have some of their oils too, but they are not my favorite FO supplier.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GailC said:

I really liked the Sugar Cookie Dough.  I have read good reviews on this board about the different coffee scents she has.  If I ever pare down some of the FO's I already have, I really would like to try some more from ICS.  I live in Indiana, so I like to 'shop local' even though they don't have a store front.  Mill Creek is also in Indiana, and I have several FO's from there.  Wish I could go to both places and pick up orders.

I have driven to Hamilton Ohio several times to The Candlemaker's Store to get jars and wax, around 2 1/2 hours away from me.  I have some of their oils too, but they are not my favorite FO supplier.

I've had their sugar cookie dough too.    Not bad...but wasn't too good a thrower for me.

Now next time, you need to get their Apple Strudel Gail.    It's awesome.    I use as Apple Strudel and rename to Apple Pie too when I need a pie.   It's one of the best scents out there.

I'll have to think what else I have from them.   Wasn't many.    I want to try some of their coffees too as she is noted for having excellent ones.

Trappeur

• Like 1