Room Spray - Cyclo or water?

Stephanie

Which do you think makes a better spray? I've tried one with FO and Cyclo and one with FO and water/witch hazel. The Cyclo seems a little oily and I only noticed it because I sprayed it in my kitchen and the floor was glossy and slippery. Can anyone tell me which is better to use? TIA

I have used the water/witch hazel and it works great for me. I have also used the base from somewhere and it worked good also. Sounds like if the cyclo is a little oily that would be best for a body spray, instead of room spray. I have never tried the cyclo before, but will soon.

I use cyclo and FO. The cyclomethicone (silicone) is like a dry oil. If you spray some on your arm or where ever, you'll see what I mean. It's not oily or greasy but actually feels very silky. I make body sprays and room fresheners/linen sprays with this. The cyclo won't stain or moisten fabrics or linens like other mixtures can.

Guest EMercier

I have been testing the FO, witch hazel, and distilled water. I have Lavendar FO and shake it before I spray and it smells good in my house. Especially when I don't want natsy smells to linger in the house. I did this a few months ago and it's still kicking strong. I have hardwood floors and nothing has happened to them yet.

I have been testing the FO, witch hazel, and distilled water. I have Lavendar FO and shake it before I spray and it smells good in my house. Especially when I don't want natsy smells to linger in the house. I did this a few months ago and it's still kicking strong. I have hardwood floors and nothing has happened to them yet.

You sprayed a few months ago and can still smell it? I don't think I am reading this correctly.

So both formulas work the same? Then it comes down to preference, like if you want "all natural" (water combo) versus not all natural? Or how easy it is to make - more steps with water combo, less with cyclo? Ugh - I think I'm thinking about this too much :undecided

I think straight cyclo is nasty. There's no silk to it for me.. Just greasy. I'm not spraying that on my pillow then rubbing my face on it all night.

Mine is water based, smells teriffic, and yes, oil and water can mix with an emusifier. :yay:

I think straight cyclo is nasty. There's no silk to it for me.. Just greasy. I'm not spraying that on my pillow then rubbing my face on it all night.

Mine is water based, smells teriffic, and yes, oil and water can mix with an emusifier. :yay:

Maybe it depends where you get it. All the cyclomethicone I've ever used has a very silky feel when sprayed. I've been very satisified and my customers love it. And it's very easy to mix. I love the stuff!

Stephanie, you'll probably have to try the different ways and see what works best for you. Suppliers might have the option to get a sample size of the cyclo, not sure.

If you use Cyclo & FO as a room spray be very careful!!! When this mixture is sprayed and lands on a hard floor it is VERY SLIPPERY.

I put a warning on my Cyclo body spray. Caution do not spray in shower or tub or use while standing on a tile floor. Overspray landing on these surfaces become very slippery.

I don't suggest Cyclo for a room spray because of this factor. I use 1/2 & 12 FO & Denatured Alcohol for room spray. It's very strong and last a long time.

Candle Man

• Like 1

The following is excerpted from The Dermatology Times article titled ‘Silicones in Cosmetics’: ‘“Ingredients such as dimethicone, amodimethicone, and cyclomethicone are rapidly being incorporated into so-called oil-free facial moisturizers and foundations to replace the more occlusive types of oils, and the benefits they offer have been revolutionary,” said Dr. Draelos. “The silicone-based derivatives cause minimal irritation, are hypoallergenic, and are neither comedogenic nor acnegenic. Furthermore, their use is associated with a better cosmetic appearance because they don’t leave the face with a greasy shine, and they can help smooth down the scale around acne lesions as well,” she said.

Here's some info I researched in the past about the cyclo. It isn't greasy! And it's not nasty!

For a room/linen spray I would make sure your customers know a little bit goes a long way. It's not the same kind of spray as the commerical ones.

I believe what it all comes down to is personal preference. :wink2:

I love the feel of Cyclomethicone. Its silky and smooth, holds the fragrance well and my customers love it. It mixes smoothly. However, some people just do not like it. Thats you Bun Bun.. LMAO!! :P

I don't sell room sprays- I think they are a waste of time. I would rather they purchase a candle. But then again, it boils down to personal preference.

Guest EMercier

I'm sorry, I meant that I made it a few months ago in the summer. It still works and smells strong. I just shake and spray. Wanted to see if I put it in an aluminum bottle, if it would be a bust. I'm testing it in a regular water spray bottle I got from Walmart for like $.50. Works great. I just though cyclo was a bit expensive for a room spray and then I also read those things about the floor being slippery after being sprayed.

• 4 weeks later...
What are some emulsifiers I could use if I wanted to mix FO, alcohol, and water? or should I just make a weak perfume (usually i use 1/3 FO and 2/3 alcohol) and bottle it up?

many are happy with none.. and just sahking before spraying... or you could use some polysorbate20. I just ordered a new one to try out dont ask me the name.. its a number likeformula b487 its an acrylic/silicone polymer... I am gonna try it out and see...

OK here's my opinion LIke it matters :P

I've tried water, linen spray base and cyclo. They are work, of course cyclo is the most expensive. I have a dog and I want my house always smelling good (aside from candles).

I started with distilled water, poly and fo with some witch hazel, for personal use. If I thought of selling or giving it away I'd add a preservative, (just me to be safe) never know where people may spray it :rolleyes2

Then I tried the linen base and found the scent to last longer but I didn't like the alcohol smell.

Then tried cyclo and IMO there is no comparison. This stuff kicks arse :yay: I can spray it in my bathroom or extra room over night, keep the door close and the next day it's still smelling good ( honest promise) and it's multi purpose spray. Linen, room, body. perfume etc.. I'm fussy I want the best and don't believe in cutting cost or corners to get it.

Again it's a matter of preference and what works for you, so the best thing is to test it for yourself and then use what you are happy with.

Good Luck