Really BIG Glassware! Gigantic!

I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday. In their glassware section, they have these HUGE glass items. I've seen some big ones at Walmart before, but they're nothing compared to the size of these. Imagine a four foot tall apothecary jar. Of course the price was big too.  They were gaudy and very tacky looking. Yep, gaudy and tacky, just what I'm looking for now.  I want to get one or two, or maybe three of these and turn them into real candles, not just mock ups. I don't care if it takes a whole slab of wax to fill one! I plan to use them in my booths as an attention getter. Pull the people out of the aisles like a side show at the state fair. I'm sure they will end up with a retail upwards of $150.00. I really wouldn't want to guess. I doubt anyone will buy them, just as long as they serve my purpose. 

Having said all that, there is a question here:

Does anyone know of a glassware dealer online that might carry these gargantuan jars. Hobby Lobby's price was high, but not unreasonable. I'm sure there is some company out there that carries items like this. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might start looking?

• Like 1

I've bought the half gallon jars with glass lids from Wally World before. They're in with the kitchen decor and the price wasn't too steep.
I think you'll find what you're looking for there or perhaps Libbey glassware.
Also  http://www.jarstore.com/jar-group/65-oz-2-5-gallon/
 https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/h88904-case1anchor.html
I've even sold a few, special order of course
HTH

Edited by chevcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's a very good idea, Quentin. When we sold fancy ladies handbags, I'd put the super blingy or super gaudy ones up front to draw attention to the booth, and generate conversation. I did see this large candle online: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Candleberry-Hot-Maple-Toddy-160-oz-Candle-Giant-Cookie-Jar-Candle/802046749

The larger, 4 ft tall one will be a real pain to transport when doing shows, so keep that in mind. How thick is the glass? Would it break easily when transporting it? Can you get wicking for it? A few things to consider. I would LOVE a huge jar for personal use, I think they're really cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've done some thinking since I posted this.  If I ordered a 4 foot tall apothecary jar online, the freight would probably be really high. What if it arrived broken. That would be an enormous hassle. Yes, you bring up a good point about the wicking. It would probably be more like rope than wick.  Considering all that, it may just be better to buy it at retail from Hobby Lobby. After all it's only going to be a display piece.  Nevertheless, If anyone comes up with a website that sells gigantic glassware, please tip me off. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 7:41 PM, chevcher said:

I've bought the half gallon jars with glass lids from Wally World before. They're in with the kitchen decor and the price wasn't too steep.
I think you'll find what you're looking for there or perhaps Libbey glassware.
Also  http://www.jarstore.com/jar-group/65-oz-2-5-gallon/
 https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/h88904-case1anchor.html
I've even sold a few, special order of course
HTH

I checked out the two websites you included in your post. Interesting stuff there and I bookmarked both of them. One of them sells a brand of wax I was unfamiliar with until now. More great information from this forum.

• Like 1

Yes, I love the links that Chevcher posted! Those are some really nice containers! I may have to consider doing a "conversation piece" myself for our shows, because I KNOW it works! Trappeur also does a very large Mason jar, and it's really neat! I'd actually like to have one of those :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Try your local swap meet (flea market in the east) or thrift store, I've found some really nice pieces for really cheap. 

We call them both swap meets and flea markets down where I live. One important thing I forgot to mention to everyone. You may have already discovered this. I don't know if you have the Dollar Tree Chain Stores where you live, but as the name implies, everything is $1.00.  I've bought some pretty nice glass containers there for $1.00 each and it's pretty good stuff. They have a 3.5"x 3.5" x 3.5" square jar that I regularly buy there. It's nice and heavy and carries a lot of value in the eyes of the consumer. I haven't found anything close to that price anywhere online. Great buy!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Hopie said:

I may have to consider doing a "conversation piece" myself for our shows, because I KNOW it works!

It most definitely works! I can personally attest to that. I don't know if anyone here remembers the Ben Rickert Company from back in the 1980s and 1990s.  They were a big name in the home fragrance/soap business at that time. I was a travelling salesman for Ben Rickert. Every year, Ben would come out with something that was super and colossal. Everyone said it wouldn't sell. The buyers said "Are you crazy?" The buyers reluctantly bought them. These made incredible eye catching displays in my department stores. They drew people to the product. You guessed it. When I would make my return visit to the stores in January, they were all sold. Ben was a real showman. He made a believer out of me. 

Edited by Quentin
syntax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 8:10 PM, Quentin said:

In their glassware section, they have these HUGE glass items.

I plan to use them in my booths as an attention getter. Pull the people out of the aisles like a side show at the state fair. I'm sure they will end up with a retail upwards of $150.00. I really wouldn't want to guess. I doubt anyone will buy them, just as long as they serve my purpose. 

@Quentin, those sound so fun & ridiculous. That's a neat idea to use them as attention getters. Go for it! 😜

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 5:19 PM, Quentin said:

I don't know if you have the Dollar Tree Chain Stores where you live, but as the name implies, everything is $1.00.  I've bought some pretty nice glass containers there for $1.00 each and it's pretty good stuff. They have a 3.5"x 3.5" x 3.5" square jar that I regularly buy there. It's nice and heavy and carries a lot of value in the eyes of the consumer. I haven't found anything close to that price anywhere online. Great buy!

Yes, I ❤️ the Dollar Tree, I buy a lot of test jars there. They can have some really nice ones at times.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 5:46 PM, Quentin said:

It most definitely works! I can personally attest to that. I don't know if anyone here remembers the Ben Rickert Company from back in the 1980s and 1990s.  They were a big name in the home fragrance/soap business at that time. I was a travelling salesman for Ben Rickert. Every year, Ben would come out with something that was super and colossal. Everyone said it wouldn't sell. The buyers said "Are you crazy?" The buyers reluctantly bought them. These made incredible eye catching displays in my department stores. They drew people to the product. You guessed it. When I would make my return visit to the stores in January, they were all sold. Ben was a real showman. He made a believer out of me. 

Great story and great business idea.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2018 at 6:51 AM, scrubzz said:

I'm just thinking about the testing on these puppies - 

Ok, after 6,000 hours this CD wick seems to be tunneling a little bit - lets try the ECO now .......

LMAO! I can picture it. And @scrubzz, I love your cute monkey pic. I love monkeys & dogs. 😝

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

LOL, oh my gosh, I can't stop laughing! I must be tired and need to go to bed.

I keep seeing the words Really BIG Glassware! Gigantic! and I picture those big obnoxious things and imagine people looking at them with excitement & utter amazement! LMAO!.... 😂

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Laura C said:

LOL, oh my gosh, I can't stop laughing! I must be tired and need to go to bed.

I keep seeing the words Really BIG Glassware! Gigantic! and I picture those big obnoxious things and imagine people looking at them with excitement & utter amazement! LMAO!.... 😂

The gaudier and tackier is all the better!  That'll draw em in there. I like P.T. Barnum's famous quote, but I won't post it here. :whistling:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Quentin said:

The gaudier and tackier is all the better!  That'll draw em in there. I like P.T. Barnum's famous quote, but I won't post it here. :whistling:

LOL, this is cracking me up. And dear Dolly Parton says, honey it takes a lot of time and money to look this cheap. 😝

• Haha 1

Back when we sold handbags, we'd put the most gaudy, blingy one up front...there was one in particular...a lime green mess and everyone just haaaaad to pick it up! LOL! I was sad to see it sell! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Back when we sold handbags, we'd put the most gaudy, blingy one up front...there was one in particular...a lime green mess and everyone just haaaaad to pick it up! LOL! I was sad to see it sell! 

That's funny.

• Haha 1