Tough sell fragrance... have u ever

11 hours ago, Hopie said:

. I hate stupid names on fragrances! Monkey Farts? That's another one I don't like. Creative is one thing, but..stupid is just well....STUPID! :lol:

I agree Hopie

I like funny names ...witty and creative names ...even cute names....but I HATE stupid names ...yup I hate the  name MONKEY FARTS (it reminds me of 12 year old boy humor)... but i do agree other people think its funny and it sells for sellers..guess we all have a different sense of humor...

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 7:43 PM, ScentedPleasurez said:

Have you ever had a fragrance that you couldnt give away? 

I had a floral fragrance that EVERYONE was turning their nose up to,

i changed the name and color and it flew out the door,same fragrance though.  Lol 

All the time. It's amazing what a name change can do. One of the main reasons I rarely ever name the candle after the scent it is, and try to give them "clever" or different names. That and most of my scents are a blend of several scents so I wouldn't be able to name it after the scent anyway... 

• Like 2

First let me say I am not an expert in marketing; but I have read a few books because the subject interest me. I’ve also been thinking about marketing candles, so I will share my thoughts, please take them with a grain of salt. My first thought is association is a great tool for selling candles. By that I mean if the name you give a fragrance has some association to a pleasant memory, or experience for your customer they are much more likely to buy it. For example Fresh Linen might sell better as clean sheets because everybody knows and loves clean sheets. If you can pick names that may connect to a good memory your customers have they will buy more candles. So, if you are in an area where people pick their own apples then Fresh Picked Apples will sell better than Green Apples. For a Christmas scent Christmas Morning would be a good name. Another way is to use names that create curiosity and a mood of anticipation. Dragon Blood, or Volcano are examples of this. People have strong associations with colors, but I have no knowledge of what they are so keeping records and experimenting is the best advice I could offer. You might try making the same candle in multiple colors and see which one sells first.    

As soon as I finish my current book on the Persian Empire, I may listen to the books on marketing that I have, or find a new book that has some good point of sale information. If I do I’ll report back on what I learn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Exactly right @Forrest.  

The theme for this last weekend was “monsters and magic”. Hazelnut coffee is a mediocre seller for me usually. I renamed it “magic beans” and sold out of everything in the first hour. It’s all about timing and knowing your market.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Forrest said:

First let me say I am not an expert in marketing; but I have read a few books because the subject interest me. I’ve also been thinking about marketing candles, so I will share my thoughts, please take them with a grain of salt. My first thought is association is a great tool for selling candles. By that I mean if the name you give a fragrance has some association to a pleasant memory, or experience for your customer they are much more likely to buy it. For example Fresh Linen might sell better as clean sheets because everybody knows and loves clean sheets. If you can pick names that may connect to a good memory your customers have they will buy more candles. So, if you are in an area where people pick their own apples then Fresh Picked Apples will sell better than Green Apples. For a Christmas scent Christmas Morning would be a good name. Another way is to use names that create curiosity and a mood of anticipation. Dragon Blood, or Volcano are examples of this. People have strong associations with colors, but I have no knowledge of what they are so keeping records and experimenting is the best advice I could offer. You might try making the same candle in multiple colors and see which one sells first.    

As soon as I finish my current book on the Persian Empire, I may listen to the books on marketing that I have, or find a new book that has some good point of sale information. If I do I’ll report back on what I learn.

I totally agree ,names certainly make a difference . I can name any apple scent during the winter Holly Jolly Apples ,this increases sales  more than the plain Macintosh Apple kwim....I do this often with many scents,during all the seasons  . If I have a scent that is not moving ,I rename it with a unique name ,until it gains popularity , if not I change the name again lol.

I agree colors attract buyers as well. 

I like the name Flannel & want to order this one  b/c of it's name .

I think it sounds so cozy for the fall/winter season . I have never actually tried the scent & will be ordering soon . The name is what attracted my attention to want to try it . 

If anyone knows of a good Flannel scent  ,please lmk. Thanks in advance ☺️

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 9:43 PM, ScentedPleasurez said:

Have you ever had a fragrance that you couldnt give away? 

I had a floral fragrance that EVERYONE was turning their nose up to,

i changed the name and color and it flew out the door,same fragrance though.  Lol 

Which FO & supplier was it & what'd you change the name to

57 minutes ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

@Forrest totally true about the association with a pleasant memory. 

I was reading about certain colors that people tend to gravitate to more, very interesting reads to say the least. 

Inquiring minds wanna know 

what colors were people attracted to ? Very interesting!

5 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

I totally agree ,names certainly make a difference . I can name any apple scent during the winter Holly Jolly Apples ,this increases sales  more than the plain Macintosh Apple kwim....I do this often with many scents,during all the seasons  . If I have a scent that is not moving ,I rename it with a unique name ,until it gains popularity , if not I change the name again lol.

I agree colors attract buyers as well. 

I like the name Flannel & want to order this one  b/c of it's name .

I think it sounds so cozy for the fall/winter season . I have never actually tried the scent & will be ordering soon . The name is what attracted my attention to want to try it . 

If anyone knows of a good Flannel scent  ,please lmk. Thanks in advance ☺️

I too am looking for a good flannel 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Inquiring minds wanna know 

what colors were people attracted to ? Very interesting!

I googled color and marketing. This is just a sample of the information I found, there is lots more.

Red – Creates a sense of urgency, which is good for clearance sales. Encourages appetite, thus is frequently used by fast-food chains. Physically stimulates the body, raising blood pressure and heart rate, associated with movement, excitement, and passion.

Blue – The preferred color of men. It’s associated with peace, water, tranquility, and reliability. Blue provides a sense of security, curbs appetite, and stimulates productivity. The most common color used by conservative brands looking to promote trust in their products.

Green – Associated with health, tranquility, power, and nature. Used in stores to relax customers and for promoting environmental issues. Green stimulates harmony in your brain and encourages a balance leading to decisiveness.

Purple – Commonly associated with royalty, wisdom, and respect. Stimulates problem-solving as well as creativity. Frequently used to promote beauty and anti-aging products.

Orange & Yellow – Cheerful colors that promote optimism. Yellow can make babies cry, while orange can trigger a sense of caution. Used to create a sense of anxiety that can draw in impulsive buyers and window shoppers.

Black – Associated with authority, power, stability, and strength. Often a symbol of intelligence, but can become overwhelming if used to frequently.

Grey – Symbolizes feelings of practicality, old age, and solidarity. But too much grey can lead to feelings of nothingness and depression.

White – Associated with feelings of purity, cleanliness and safety. Can be used to project an absence of color or neutrality. White space helps spark creativity since it can be perceived as an unaltered, clean state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I googled color and marketing. This is just a sample of the information I found, there is lots more.

Red – Creates a sense of urgency, which is good for clearance sales. Encourages appetite, thus is frequently used by fast-food chains. Physically stimulates the body, raising blood pressure and heart rate, associated with movement, excitement, and passion.

Blue – The preferred color of men. It’s associated with peace, water, tranquility, and reliability. Blue provides a sense of security, curbs appetite, and stimulates productivity. The most common color used by conservative brands looking to promote trust in their products.

Green – Associated with health, tranquility, power, and nature. Used in stores to relax customers and for promoting environmental issues. Green stimulates harmony in your brain and encourages a balance leading to decisiveness.

Purple – Commonly associated with royalty, wisdom, and respect. Stimulates problem-solving as well as creativity. Frequently used to promote beauty and anti-aging products.

Orange & Yellow – Cheerful colors that promote optimism. Yellow can make babies cry, while orange can trigger a sense of caution. Used to create a sense of anxiety that can draw in impulsive buyers and window shoppers.

Black – Associated with authority, power, stability, and strength. Often a symbol of intelligence, but can become overwhelming if used to frequently.

Grey – Symbolizes feelings of practicality, old age, and solidarity. But too much grey can lead to feelings of nothingness and depression.

White – Associated with feelings of purity, cleanliness and safety. Can be used to project an absence of color or neutrality. White space helps spark creativity since it can be perceived as an unaltered, clean state.

So interesting- thank you for taking the time. How did you get the font 

colors to change . Love ❤️ that !

@Moonstar It is so many articles online about different colorings. From religious and spiritual. To add to the one above that @Forrest posted, an astrology site has this 

• Sunday– Gold or yellow candles
  • Monday– Silver, Grey or White
  • Tuesday– Red
  • Wednesday– Purple
  • Thursday– Blue
  • Friday– Green
  • Saturday– Black or Purple
  • for which colors should be burned on which days. 

9 hours ago, Moonstar said:

So interesting- thank you for taking the time. How did you get the font 

colors to change . Love ❤️ that !

I don't know, I just cut and pasted, I was shocked they weren't all black.

Edited by Forrest
  • Haha 1

The discussion on color got me thinking. If you had the resources you would hire someone who was an expert in colors as they relate to point of sale marketing. So a company like Yankee Candles would have hired such a highly trained, professional expert to help select the colors for their candles; and the good people at Yankee Candles are nice enough to have a web site to display the results of their professional candle color selecting process.  I would be fascinated to hear the results if someone changed the color on a candle that wasn't selling to a color similar to what Yankee Candle using for a similar fragrance.  

@Moonstar

8 hours ago, Forrest said:

I don't know, I just cut and pasted, I was shocked they weren't all black.

You can do it when it's not a cut/paste as well. 

Select the word you want changed and then on the Edit bar Capture.PNG.a10153e8836d3c851ccba34c039fcffe.PNG   

use the drop-down on the letter A and select the color you want your text to be.

The Size button right next to it will change the font size. 

Edited by Jcandleattic
  • Thanks 2