Soy first attempt

44 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Beautiful!    If you don't mind me asking, what wax and size wicks did you use?  Was it a one pour or did you have to go and do a repour on the top?

Trappeur (very very nicely done!)

I'm testing out CSN wicks. I have two 7 and 9 in my 2oz. I've also poured two 8oz. A 22 and 26 went into them. I used GW 464 and is been a one pour so far. Thank you. :)

47 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Great job!  Bet you can't wait for them to cure so you can burn them.

I'm very excited, , but I'm not real sure of the cure time. They're still very soft. At least they are in the 8oz. In not sure about the 2oz. 

32 minutes ago, mbortles said:

I'm testing out CSN wicks. I have two 7 and 9 in my 2oz. I've also poured two 8oz. A 22 and 26 went into them. I used GW 464 and is been a one pour so far. Thank you. :)

Just curious, where did you see those size recommendations for the can sizes? 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Just curious, where did you see those size recommendations for the can sizes? 

I did a little testing with six different sizes in that series. Pan of was and six wicks. I made my choices based on diameter of the melt pool. Just a rough test to have and idea. 

By very soft, what do you mean?

It's not so soft that I couldn't touch it, but soft enough that I can push a dent in the wax if I apply a reasonable amount of pressure. My candles have fragrance oils, where my first wick test did not. The first test solidified to the point of not being able to put a dent in the wax. I've just not made it there in my fragrance candle yet. Hope that makes sense. 

They need to cure at least a week with fragrance, depending on wax could be up to 2 weeks.  You should test at different intervals to see what gives you the burn & ht that pleases you.  It may even vary from scent to scent.

It's common for soy wax to be "soft" after just a day.

• Thanks 1

Like KK said, test at different intervals.   I use that wax....and my standard cure time is 2 weeks....and it most definitey DOES make a difference in how  your wick performs, tells you what size wick to go with and if that fragrance you choose is a good thrower....so either you can save that fragrance if it throws or ditch it.

Trappeur

• Thanks 1

I would fully test those before making any more. Just a hunch that those wicks will prove a bit too large for those tins. 

Trial and error, right? What would you say my melt pool should be after an hour or two?  When I do finally get to test. 

Not quite to the edge for the first couple of burns.

Tins are a very different container to master. Very challenging with how the material transfers heat and how the burn properties change about half way through. What can look like a perfect candle for the first inch turns into a nightmare by the second half in an instant until you figure out your wax and wick combos. 

• Thanks 1