4625/6006 Wax

Tokoo

I bought some 6006 and 4625 wax for tarts. I wanted to test them to see how they would do, right out of the bag I could tell I wouldn't be happy with the results, but I melted a little of each, and poured them. After sitting for 24 hours I  tested them out, I was right The 6006 with less then 1% FO had a good hot and cold throw, but its so soft. feels like butter plus I hate the oily texture it has.  However the 4625 was like a brick, and barely had a cold throw, with no hot throw (that could be fixed by increasing the FO maybe).

So I wonder if I could mix the 2 for a better result, or mix the 4625 with something else. Not sure if that would be a waste of time, or money. I was going to get the soy tart wax, but I don't really like the feeling of soy tarts. 

I missed the 1% part, yes definitely increase the % for a better throw for the 4625. If you mix the 2 (6006/4625) I would start out with no less than 4% but no more than 6% and see what you think about the throw. 

And honestly I would wait just a tad longer than 24 hrs to test for throw. 2-3 days should be sufficient and give you a good idea of how it's going to perform on a consistent basis. 

Edited by Jcandleattic

And I agree that 6006 has a creepy texture.  LOL  But it's really designed more for containers; it's not a wax that's meant to be unmolded for tarts.  I wouldn't use it straight up for tarts; if you're going to use that one, definitely blend with a pillar/votive/tart wax.

Yes, you can mix the two with good results.  The 6006 has just enough soy to be a little temperamental with some FO's, but all in all, a blend of the two can produce some nice tarts.  I'd start with a 50/50 blend and adjust your percentages to get the consistency you prefer for your application.  I'd probably use around 60% 4625 to 40% 6006 if I were pouring clams. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Mix them 50/50 then test after a couple days to make sure they are completely set. I think you will like the results much better. 

I use 4625/4794 for one of my melt blends and I like it a lot. 

Alright I will start with a few different test and see, I think the results should be better as well.

13 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

One percent of fo is pretty low.  I have used 4625 at 5-6% and gotten good throw.  4794 also works well at 5-6% fo.

Actually less then 1% with straight 6006 had a potent throw, but I was just using left over FO. I will try 3-6% and see what i can get. Thanks 

On 3/24/2018 at 11:39 AM, Jcandleattic said:

Mix them 50/50 then test after a couple days to make sure they are completely set. I think you will like the results much better. 

I use 4625/4794 for one of my melt blends and I like it a lot. 

70-75% 6006/25-30% 4625 seems to be exactly what I wanted. Not to hard, yet not oily. 50/50 was still pretty hard, at least for my taste. This is for molded tarts though. Maybe 65/35% will be needed for clamshells.

5 minutes ago, Tokoo said:

70-75% 6006/25-30% 4625 seems to be exactly what I wanted. Not to hard, yet not oily. 50/50 was still pretty hard, at least for my taste. This is for molded tarts though. Maybe 65/35% will be needed for clamshells.

Yeah, it was just a guess on my part, as I don't work with 6006 at all. I never liked it, so got rid of the case I had after experimenting with one of the slabs out of the case. 

Glad you found the consistency you were looking for. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2018 at 10:38 PM, Tokoo said:

I bought some 6006 and 4625 wax for tarts. I wanted to test them to see how they would do, right out of the bag I could tell I wouldn't be happy with the results, but I melted a little of each, and poured them. After sitting for 24 hours I  tested them out, I was right The 6006 with less then 1% FO had a good hot and cold throw, but its so soft. feels like butter plus I hate the oily texture it has.  However the 4625 was like a brick, and barely had a cold throw, with no hot throw (that could be fixed by increasing the FO maybe).

So I wonder if I could mix the 2 for a better result, or mix the 4625 with something else. Not sure if that would be a waste of time, or money. I was going to get the soy tart wax, but I don't really like the feeling of soy tarts. 

make your life easier and try the Ky parasoy tart and votive blend from RE---you won't look back.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

make your life easier and try the Ky parasoy tart and votive blend from RE---you won't look back.

I have to give it a try, have been so busy lately, I haven't made anything. Thanks for the tip.

My experience for clams would be to add no more than 50% 4625 to a container wax. When I upped the percentage of 4625 in clams I got a funky smell from the plastic onto the wax. Your experience might be much better than mine though. You won't know till you try!

On 6/2/2018 at 9:32 AM, Belinda said:

My experience for clams would be to add no more than 50% 4625 to a container wax. When I upped the percentage of 4625 in clams I got a funky smell from the plastic onto the wax. Your experience might be much better than mine though. You won't know till you try!

I have mostly been using 60% 6006 and 40% 4625. If I add to much 4625 I don't get as good of a HT, never noticed the funky smell.

8 hours ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

How is this going for you @Tokoo? I am using 6006 for containers and wanted to try something a little different for clamshells. 4625 seems like it could be good as it would make it harder, so I am wondering if you are having success. Maybe I will try it out too. ☺

I like 60/40, but mine are not super hard, I prefer melts of the firm side. I did a 50/50, that worked good, but I had little to no HT.

• Thanks 1