Tired of 464, any recommendations?

42 minutes ago, Jeana said:

I understand that the upper layer cools faster anyway. But I was also talking about the cracks in the lower part of the candle. Everyone has been saying it's caused by room temps being too cool. I'm just pointing out it's not really cool, its normal. So outside influence isn't the problem. 

Another reason I mentioned ambient temps was because you stated in your comment your layered top cracking was related to your shop being cold. 

My shop is always cold. I stand by my comment about it being the RATE of cooling, not the temps themselves. Do you always heat your wax to the same temp at the same rate, then cool at the same rate, and pour at the exact same temps under perfectly controlled conditions? There could easily be a draft you are not feeling that are causing the lower levels of the candle to crack as they cool at inconsistent rates. Happens to me with beeswax if I heat too fast and cool unevenly. I cool some of my wax in front of a giant fan to really bring down the temp quickly and EVENLY.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tokoo said:

I like to know how this turns out myself.

My Coconut sample should be here today or tomorrow. Are you in CA? Right now I have been testing Their CB#9. I don't like it on its own, but I was testing it with the 464. Now that I want to dump 464 I've been doing about 20% in 4630 and I'm getting some good results so far.  

Just now, Jeana said:

My Coconut sample should be here today or tomorrow. Are you in CA? Right now I have been testing Their CB#9. I don't like it on its own, but I was testing it with the 464. Now that I want to dump 464 I've been doing about 20% in 4630 and I'm getting some good results so far.  

No I am on other end of the map, and since shipping wouldn't be to cheap, I was think about doing some for personal use, unless I can find it near me (Which I doubt since, closet suppliers are about the highest in the business). I am in the same boat. I am new to candle making, but all my 464 seem to have turned out with no hot throw as well. I was thinking about doing 464/4630 blend or 6006 (Reviews are scary though).

19 minutes ago, Tokoo said:

No I am on other end of the map, and since shipping wouldn't be to cheap, I was think about doing some for personal use, unless I can find it near me (Which I doubt since, closet suppliers are about the highest in the business). I am in the same boat. I am new to candle making, but all my 464 seem to have turned out with no hot throw as well. I was thinking about doing 464/4630 blend or 6006 (Reviews are scary though).

Is this place near you for the coconut? https://uscandlesupply.com/product-category/case/coconut-case/

I just posted a pic of a candle blend of CB#9 and 4630. I'm really liking this mix so far. The throw is outstanding. And no soot while burning.

16 minutes ago, Jeana said:

Is this place near you for the coconut? https://uscandlesupply.com/product-category/case/coconut-case/

I just posted a pic of a candle blend of CB#9 and 4630. I'm really liking this mix so far. The throw is outstanding. And no soot while burning.

No the place next to me barely carry anything, so I have to most stuff shipped, plus they are high, not many candle makers in my area.. https://vacandlesupply.com

That looks nice, very vibrant purple.

Actually Aztec is close by, but candle science is cheaper on shipping, which makes no sense.

Edited by Tokoo
mistake

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

My shop is always cold. I stand by my comment about it being the RATE of cooling, not the temps themselves. Do you always heat your wax to the same temp at the same rate, then cool at the same rate, and pour at the exact same temps under perfectly controlled conditions? There could easily be a draft you are not feeling that are causing the lower levels of the candle to crack as they cool at inconsistent rates. Happens to me with beeswax if I heat too fast and cool unevenly. I cool some of my wax in front of a giant fan to really bring down the temp quickly and EVENLY.

That's interesting about the beeswax, I didn't realize that (about the drafts or uneven air flow), but I have read that if it cools too quickly it can crack, so this is new to me and interesting too, as it's another take on the process.  With soy, it seems to like cool to semi-cool pouring and a slow setting.  I don't think soy wax is the best candidate for layering, at least not pouring in layers as in allowing one layer to cool very much, although soft layers can be achieved nicely with colors if the candle as a whole is kept warm in the process.

2 hours ago, Jeana said:

I understand that the upper layer cools faster anyway. But I was also talking about the cracks in the lower part of the candle. Everyone has been saying it's caused by room temps being too cool. I'm just pointing out it's not really cool, its normal. So outside influence isn't the problem. 

Another reason I mentioned ambient temps was because you stated in your comment your layered top cracking was related to your shop being cold. 

I think the cracks in the lower part of your candle occurred due to pouring too hot ...  I think soy should be expected to crack poured at those temperatures.

Why are you pouring the bottom layer so hot?

@Tokoo Have you taken a look at Candlewic's waxes? They're in PA with shipping rates that aren't too terribly high, IMO. I think they're the largest supplier of coconut wax blends on the East Coast, if you're interested in giving coconut wax a try. Shipping transit times are very similar to Candlescience's (maybe better) - all states, except MS and WI, east of the Mississippi are in one or two day UPS zones.

23 minutes ago, Kerven said:

@Tokoo Have you taken a look at Candlewic's waxes? They're in PA with shipping rates that aren't too terribly high, IMO. I think they're the largest supplier of coconut wax blends on the East Coast, if you're interested in giving coconut wax a try. Shipping transit times are very similar to Candlescience's (maybe better) - all states, except MS and WI, east of the Mississippi are in one or two day UPS zones.

I will take a look. Thanks

On 3/14/2018 at 8:52 PM, Jeana said:

The case I had from Dec had a lot of frost issues, but no cracks. the photo is an example of one of the cracks. There were other cracks inside the candle too. CS says it was because my wax cooled too quickly. It was 75 degrees in my shop the entire time I was pouring and when it was setting up. I literally make hundreds of these candles every month, and have been for about 7 years, so I can definitely tell when it's me or the wax.  

Cracks 3.JPG

I've been thinking this over and I've got to say that I agree with everyone that there have been inconsistencies with this wax, or fluctuations in how it needs to be worked with, etc. ... but I must admit that I feel this candle may not be the best example of this wax due to the pouring/temp method.  Regarding the scent throw, in order to think about that a little more, it would be helpful to know what type of wick was used, and I apologize if I missed that info. somewhere along the line.  Please know that I'm not trying to criticize, but I think it's important that we have as much information as possible in order to further our knowledge about how or how not to work with this wax.