Take a look at this picture(s) and notice the BULDGE at the top. It started from the first burn and is continuing now at day five. I've at least progressed to the point where I'm not getting blowouts. As you can see it's also burning evenly. I don't ever recall seeing a commercially made candle do this. Is this common to homemade candles?  In general, what are the possible reasons that could cause this?

Here is some data:  1. Country Lane General Purpose Wax, 12ozs   2. EricX #24 FT Light wick. I pre-wax them myself.  3. Poured at 175F which falls within the manufacturer's specs.  4. Fragrance load of 4% or .48 ozs for 12 ozs of wax.  5.  .40 ozs stearic acid. The mold is 3" in diameter & 31/2 high.

Yellow Candle burn date 3_1_18.jpg

Typical of pillar candles with paraffin wax. You can "hug" them after blowing the flame out but while the sides are still warm, to alleviate it. 

I'd say if it's burning evenly and you are not getting blowouts you are well on your way to success! :)

commercial candles probably don't do it as much because they have proprietary additives in their waxes that prevent it. I know my palm wax never have that (the wax is too brittle) but I've never burned a soy candle to see if it does it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So Quentin are you up to trying a larger or different wick? It might help cut that bulge you see down a little. It may also depend on the wick. I'm not familiar with the wicking you are using so I'm not sure what sizes it comes in. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2018 at 3:39 PM, Jcandleattic said:

"hug" them after blowing the flame

23 hours ago, Candybee said:

I love hugging mine when they get like that!

Hugging them? I think that might be illegal in my state.*shudder*

17 hours ago, Scented said:

So Quentin are you up to trying a larger or different wick? It might help cut that bulge you see down a little. It may also depend on the wick. I'm not familiar with the wicking you are using so I'm not sure what sizes it comes in. 

Scented, I'm up to trying a larger wick. Please recommend one. I was using #24 Flat from EricX.  Meanwhile, I'm through with that "general purpose" wax. Done! Finished! I now have some IGI 4625 and IGI 1343 A that just came in yesterday. I'll be working with those for a little while. 

I use 27 flat in my 4625 pillars.  Very seldom I have to go to a 30 with certain scents.  My pillars don't bulge like that, they self consume I guess that is the term to use as they are burning, sort of hugging inward on their own.  Not to say that sometimes I don't hug them in a little at times just to be sure.  Now I do use stearic & vybar in my wax after having problems years ago with fingernailing and snowflaking.  Once I started adding the additives, on recommendation from a supplier that was recommended to them by IGI I have no problems.  

I use a 24 flat braid for my 4625, and pre-production paraffin pillars. I don't get a bulge that big, but I do get them occasionally, and when I do, I just hug them out when I blow the candle out. Never had a problem with blowouts or other problems. My candles burn and consume perfectly, in my eye.