Pouring Slushy

Hi everyone! This is probably a stupid question, but how on earth do you manage to pour slushy? I've been experimenting with gw 415 wax (mixed 80/20 with IGI 4630), and since I got sinkholes pouring at higher temps, I decided to try pouring at the recommended temp of 95.  I actually ended up pouring at 115, because even at that temp I was struggling! It was like trying to pour frosting; I ended up scooping a lot of the wax out like cake batter, and even then a decent amount ended up stuck in my pour pot.  Also, tried tapping the jars gently (I'm working with 3 in. diameter glass tumblers) to get the wax to settle, but it's not uniformly settled against the jar (again, kind of like if you scooped frosting into a jar), and the tops are a mess!

Is there something I'm missing?  Maybe my thermometer's bunk or something? I don't know, but I'm feeling a bit dumb at the moment.

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2018 at 10:44 AM, TallTayl said:

I keep a heat gun in one hand and the pour pot in the other when it gets that stiff. 

Hi TT ... when pouring slushy , at what point do I stop stirring the pot? I usually add fragrance when poured into pot, stir 2 mins then pour. If I stir 2 mins and let it cool , do I stir in between these times , or even right before pouring? 

I keep reheating the wax when it gets to hard and keep pouring the wax into my jar.

You just have to keep eyeballing the wax as you go along.h

I have never had a hard time that I needed to use a heat gun.   The wax filled in.   I don't even own a heatgun...lpol When I need to smooth out the tops which is very rare, I use my hairdryer.

To each their own, right??

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

At 115 is was getting too hard to pour?  I make 1-2 # batches at a time and haven't had that happen. A lot depends on the amount your making at a time of a scent, your room temp, airflow and how fast it is cooling down.  You should be able to get in a groove where you can pour cool enough and get them poured without too much trouble.  Sometimes I end up with a tiny bit on the bottom that has set up if my surface is cooler than the room.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

I don't wait until the wax is quite that firm.  I pour when I start to see a film forming on the top surface of the soy wax.  I also pour in small batches, which helps.   (Usually 5 candles at a time.) If I pour larger batches, the wax is too firm by the end of the batch.  I like to pour while the wax is still fluid enough to get an even pour, but as set up as possible without sacrificing fluidity.

Oh, and the trick of using a heat gun while pouring?  I do that too -- but with lip balms, not candles.  LOL

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

I don't wait until the wax is quite that firm.  I pour when I start to see a film forming on the top surface of the soy wax.  I also pour in small batches, which helps.   (Usually 5 candles at a time.) If I pour larger batches, the wax is too firm by the end of the batch.  I like to pour while the wax is still fluid enough to get an even pour, but as set up as possible without sacrificing fluidity.

Oh, and the trick of using a heat gun while pouring?  I do that too -- but with lip balms, not candles.  LOL

With lip balms I stated using stainless steel creamers a few years ago.  Life changing. I can keep them on a griddle or in a hot water bath for the perfect temps. They heat gun well too. 

Its been a while since I worked with soy but when I did I also ran into the solidity problem waiting for my wax to get slushy enough to pour. So I started pouring while it was still liquid but cool enough just before the slushy stage so it was a bit on the thick side but pourable. Just took some practice and timing but no biggie.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...