Having a burnoff

I have been testing both c3 and millennium I have  in the past tested 444 464 cb135 and ecosoya advanced I have preferred c3 out of those but liking the no bubbles and clean burn with millennium and the last test I did I felt throw hot and cold might be superior but had to make sure as millennium is more $$ and for me a bit more work with waiting to pour so 

I have cream brûlée at 7 perecent in each wax and am testing each with eco 1 eco 2 and cd 4. The jigger glasses have one wick and tumblers are double in the past I have had a time double wicking c3 but am using smaller wicks will be separating these into rooms for throw test as well will get back with the winner!

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

First of all I would test with all your candles several inches apart. You have one row with the candles almost touching one another. You have to be careful and consistent with testing. Candles too close together the flames may interact and compete for the same oxygen in that space. So space them at a minimum of at least 5-6 inches apart all around for each candle.

When I test I put a small label on each candle with the wick size and wax name. I see you put the wick info on the towel which is okay but if the towel or candle got moved or wet by accident you could lose that info.

Testing itself looks good. You should get a lot of info out of it. Good luck!

I am one hour into my third burn and so far the millennium is burning prettier and cleaner than my go to c3 I have separated candles in different rooms etc the millennium with eco 1 and cd4 are both impressing me however more testing with a longer cure as even with all these burning and a 48 hour cure I am not getting a strong throw with creame brûlée so I am sure I will switch waxes just over the looks of burn alone my daughter in a blind test of not knowing what was what picked cold throw of millennium over c3 I did finally get smooth tops pouring millinium at 100-115 more labor and patience 

when  I walked by or swept my hand across the flame 

Of the candles with c3 there was black soot when flame was disturbed I then swept my hands and did all I could to recreate with millennium and no black soot with cd or eco wicks

to be fair I used 7 percent fo and millinium says that is ideal where c3 recommends 6so that may be why it is smoking and not burning as pretty but I have cured c3 with 6 percent for months in the past and 6 percent did not throw well

I will continue to burn all the way down and test each scent and suck with new wax so a lot more time but I feel it is going to be worth it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by shicks

Shicks, first off a 48 hour cure time is one of your main problems.  C3 I used for years defintely needs a 2 week cure time.  The longer cure time will defintely show how your wicks perform and you can then properly start making determinations of sizing on your wicks.   I would maybe start testing them around maybe 8 to 9 days and go from there.  But your not getting true results with a 2 day cure for sure.   I always found Creme Brulee being a heavier oil was a harder to wick wax.   And too don't forget some oils just don't work for that particular wax you are using.   Now for me I never cared for eco's in c3 as I found for me too much soot and those black streaks like I see in your candles.  I have always used htp's and cd's for my wax, but that is what worked for me.  I'm sure others will come here who I know use these waxes and give their input.  I really don't see 7% would make that much difference....

Good luck!

Trappeur

I'm thinking too that in the above picture the c3 with black soot looks like it's a bit underwicked but your not done burning....but that is too much soot in that candle so I would eliminate that wick if that were me.  The picture underneath looks great so far with a really nice clean burn and nice wicks so far..  I guess that is the Millenium wax right?  I don't know anything about that wax and your doing a 2 day cure?   Hopefully others who use that wax will come here and post how long they let their candles cure for in that wax.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

Totally agree with Trapp, plus with C3 I wouldn't add more than 6% oil.  Creme Brulee in every supplier I tried is pretty much knock your socks off strong after a 2 week cure using only 5% in C3.  Also your C3 candles will look more like the millennium after cured.  Not sure why some soy waxes don't need as much cure time but possibly additives?

I hate to say this, but with a 48 hr cure time, these tests are fairly useless.  They will not be true to anything sadly, whether testing for scent throw or container burn.  Sorry to be the pessimist here, but I fear you are wasting your time and materials.

On 1/28/2018 at 9:09 PM, Clear Black said:

I hate to say this, but with a 48 hr cure time, these tests are fairly useless.  They will not be true to anything sadly, whether testing for scent throw or container burn.  Sorry to be the pessimist here, but I fear you are wasting your time and materials.

i did set them aside after a few days and am at about ten days,  and they are all throwing well, I put them away and now really see how the cure time versus add more oil make for a prettier burn!  Thanks!

On 1/27/2018 at 5:36 AM, Trappeur said:

Shicks, first off a 48 hour cure time is one of your main problems.  C3 I used for years defintely needs a 2 week cure time.  The longer cure time will defintely show how your wicks perform and you can then properly start making determinations of sizing on your wicks.   I would maybe start testing them around maybe 8 to 9 days and go from there.  But your not getting true results with a 2 day cure for sure.   I always found Creme Brulee being a heavier oil was a harder to wick wax.   And too don't forget some oils just don't work for that particular wax you are using.   Now for me I never cared for eco's in c3 as I found for me too much soot and those black streaks like I see in your candles.  I have always used htp's and cd's for my wax, but that is what worked for me.  I'm sure others will come here who I know use these waxes and give their input.  I really don't see 7% would make that much difference....

Good luck!

Trappeur

I put them away when they were about half burned and lit yesterday and I could smell one candle burning outside as I approached my front door it was a c3 with cd wick I feel that both waxes are throwing about the same  but yes the cd in both the waxes is burning cleaner!!!  I am going to retest with another flavor I feel that C3 cured and within driving distance needs to really be topped for  me to switch but more testing with better conditions to make sure my choice!  I have others curing ready for testing this weekend!

On 1/27/2018 at 8:17 AM, kandlekrazy said:

Totally agree with Trapp, plus with C3 I wouldn't add more than 6% oil.  Creme Brulee in every supplier I tried is pretty much knock your socks off strong after a 2 week cure using only 5% in C3.  Also your C3 candles will look more like the millennium after cured.  Not sure why some soy waxes don't need as much cure time but possibly additives?

THank  you i will try the 5% and a  cure I love the scent and it did throw after 9 days in these waxes but I will try your amounts and see if the throw is cleaner and stronger thank you!

SHerry

On 1/27/2018 at 8:11 AM, Trappeur said:

I'm thinking too that in the above picture the c3 with black soot looks like it's a bit underwicked but your not done burning....but that is too much soot in that candle so I would eliminate that wick if that were me.  The picture underneath looks great so far with a really nice clean burn and nice wicks so far..  I guess that is the Millenium wax right?  I don't know anything about that wax and your doing a 2 day cure?   Hopefully others who use that wax will come here and post how long they let their candles cure for in that wax.

Trappeur

The cleanest burn was Millineum with CD wicks!  burned beatiful it too needed a cure day 9 I burned after putting away at the half mark and I smelled it walking up to my front porch and it was in living room this is with 7 percent as recommended by american soy wax I may have to switch but more testing as it is more expensive and I can pour a prettier c3 I did have to heat gun the milleniums and I tried alot of different pour temps, funny I poured one in a glass that was too w ide for wick after 4 days I remelted and poured in my regular glass and it had a beautiful top but was poured at 160 so then I tried a few more at 160 wich is higher than recommended and they did not look pretty so I am wondering if it was that it was melted twice that made the beautiful top  and it threw amazing 

I just wanted to show the after burn look first is millennium with two cd 4 second is Millenium with two eco2 that is burning slightly hotter there is more crating in the hotter burn got me to thinking this wax needs poured at a lower temp so a hotter burn would make too dry more rough the third picture is 3 ex burn in a votive this time I burned 4 hours the eco 1 and wco2 with vent over and are now stuck in wax so I would have to clean up and carve them out the cd looks great

last picture shows my c3 burn that I am very unhappy with I did cure this wax too I am wondering why it did so badly with cream brûlée again the eco wicks are messy and the cd did better but I am now out of c3 I have went through so many cases over the years not sure what changes  but  all the bubbles discoloration  etc I think I am moving on I now want to only continue burning the Millenium and wicking it best I will be playing with fragrance levels and wicks but I feel the cds will be winners I have premiers to test next 4525B8CD-E806-481B-87AE-514AF475191C.thumb.jpeg.dfd2bc87e04f49015c6ab294fe6459d5.jpeg

331ACFB2-377A-4D74-B0B7-C0DD8BE7D4DE.thumb.jpeg.3cc54623f2122f3dc0601b3c06c16104.jpeg

3FD91FE9-307D-4715-9FF7-93660F350545.jpeg

I Am in phone and not sure why this picture pistes in my string of precious picks u wanted to show the millennium with double cd4 wick and 7 percent Creme brûlée at the end of the candle I feel it won out I did test at 47 hours then put all away after three burns for a week and reviewed yesterday and today throw in  both waxes was great the cd wicks win out in cleanliness were great for this double wick jar will do more test before I chose wax mill is more expensive so I really need to do more testing I have others curing to test! I can pour c3 very smooth but milnium burned a bit cleaner more test