Wick Stickies

My wick stickers are not sticking!  I use the wick centering tool (great gadget, btw) but when I add a wick centerer they come right out.  I usually get them from Aztec, I think, but often get them from wherever I"m ordering.  Anyone else have this issue?

I have to wipe the bottom, inside of the jar really well with a dry cloth if this happens.  I now wash my new jars in the dishwasher without detergent as others have suggested and haven't had any wicks come loose.  I do always tug a bit on the "secured" wick , however, just to be sure.  Do they seem really stickie on your fingers?

GoldieMN

• Like 1

I do as Goldie said.  If I am in a hurry and need to get some jars wicked I use a dry rag and a knife to push that rag around on the bottom of the jar to remove any greasy film that may be on the jars as there always is.  Most of the time I have always hand washed up till I got my dishwasher working and now run the jars with soap in the dishwasher.  I never tried it without soap, but hey if it works, it works! and that is great.  I'll have to try that.  Just run your finger on the inside of the jars and you can tell if the jars are a little slippery and that means clean them.  I'd rather be safe than sorry that is for sure.  Lots use alchohol to clean the bottoms of the jars.  I never have.

I try to stick to a supplier or 2 for my wicks stickums.  Years back one of the candle suppliers had a bad run of stickies and alerted everyone.  Let me tell you it was a horrible experience to have to remove all the wax out of the jars that had these stickies in them and then repour them especially since I had dozens made going to a store.    I don't ever want to go through that again.

Trappeur

• Like 1

I wash all my jars before pouring candles, they are too sticky feeling otherwise and wick stickums won't stick. I get my wick stickums from Bittercreek north and they stick really well. There was a problem with them a while back but are good now.

The safest way to secure your wick is permatex gasket sealer- red 

I had always use stickums as well for years and never had a problem but hearing if the problems you can encounter I went the permatex route

still use stickums for tester jars for my use and tealights but not containers for resale- nothing will make those come loose 

5 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@Pam W I hate trying to get the stickies out of my test jars.  Thanks for the tacky wax suggestion!

GoldieMN

I put my test jars in the dishwasher and as soon as the cycle is done and the jars are warm (I don't use dry cycle) the wick stickums come right off.  You can prob do the same with hot soapy water in a sink. 

• Like 1

I wash my containers in the dishwasher with just hot water and 2 cups of vinegar. I use a Pyrex 2 cup measuring cup. The vinegar cuts the oils and residues on the containers and an added bonus removes the mineral build-up in your machine.

Edited by burnt_fingers
  • Like 2