Candles in a shape of the thing you love

Hi, I am totally new here. I wonder what you think about candles in unique shapes. Maybe just have a look at [my site] and please share your comments here. Do you like such candles? 

Edited by Jcandleattic
self promotion

Most major brands like Voluspa etc are just "regular" candles in tins or jars. I could be wrong but I don't think people look at a candle and think "thats boring"

I think they do like the pretty tins or jars + candles that smell great though. Or I know I do anyhow. 

i guess it depends on what the novelty 'shape' is. I can see novelty shape candles in a novelty shop.

I remember a candlemaker that made artsy candles with tall pyramid shapes and embossed them with wild northwest animal shapes like wolves, bears, moose, deer, etc. into the candle sides. The candles were absolutely gorgeous and I loved looking at them. They were also presented in an art shop which showed them off perfectly.

While if I see a simple letter "a" candle or a "question mark" shape candle or one that is made in a novelty mold to me that is boring and I would never buy one. Novelty molds are a dime a dozen and the novelty wears off quickly. But that may just be me.

So, again, it depends on the how you define novelty and who your target customer is.

I don't think any candle is boring in that sense of the word.   I look at candles for the purpose of buying to burn for the aroma.  I love beautiful and unusual containers.  Not knocking your candles as they are really beautiful works of art, I wouldn't spend my money on a candle to have it just sit there and look at it as a piece of art.  To me in time I know it will become dusty and old looking in time.  This is just my own opinion for myself.

Trappeur

• Like 2

21 hours ago, incandles said:

I don't think that new shapes have anything in common with smell or other features of a candle. It is rather people's habit that candles should be dull and boring.

Yeah, popular habits are tough... 
I mean this candle probably doesn't even have a scent, I know the ones from when I was a kid certainly didn't. 
0aa00f9010c4723643831076a0a91d7a--decora 

The Germans have been involved in monotony of this ilk since before the invention of dirt. Old habits die hard I guess...  (Look at it! The thing's never even been lit! ) 

Now, if only I could get THAT candle in say... Apple Pie, or Jolly Rancher Grape at the Dollar Store for a buck, I might buy one to give to someone... at Christmas.
Ooooh! How about one of those battery operated ones? I could go $2 for one of those year round! 

Well, I have lemons to attend to. 

HTH, 

Sponiebr: THE Executor of Bad Dingamabobbits and Whatnots Galore. 

You can scent those candles, Sponie, but IMO it would be a waste. People IMO and IME who buy novelty candles, like the carved candles pictured above, and in novelty shapes, like the OP is talking about, buy them for decoration, and not to be burned. 

Which is why when I made my carved candles, I would put a well in the core candle that I could then place a tube in and fill with liquid paraffin (that you could scent) which would then make the candle 'usable' in the sense it became what is called a "forever candle" meaning it could be burned and all you would need to do is replace the liquid paraffin once it was spent. 

I would think, however, novelty candles would be a hard sell, and also very few 'repeat' customers, because like I said, they don't burn them, they decorate with them. 

• Like 1

My quarter, most candles that are shapes, folks never burn. People don't buy a lot of them, leaving a very limited market. When I worked for a supplier, I found most folks make scented jars. People don't care what shape a candle is as much as how it burns and smells.

• Like 1

Looking at my shop, I have a few novelty molds I have made that people ooooh and aaaah over. The problem comes when it is time to buy. They want the novelty shape in something to burn and are less than willing to shell out the kind of $ I need to make it profitable.

For instance, I make Game of Thrones size/style dragon eggs. People pick them up and want them, but put them down as soon as they realize they are just beeswax. They ask two questions without fail: (1) is there something inside ? and (2) can I get this in a jar?

Now, those same shapes in ceramic where they can burn, refill, etc. and enjoy they will buy all day long. They practically throw money at me to get them. My people want want durable.

• Like 3