Different method of wick testing?

So, I was on a FB candlemaking board (which has given me some very dangerous and/or "iffy" information as opposed to what I've learned on here).  An owner of a candlemaking website (I won't say which one, but let's just say I think this person knows quite a bit) suggested that testing should be done for how consumers REALLY use candles (light for short or super long times, no wick trimming, no even melt pool, etc).  This person advocated a "light and forget" approach to testing--meaning you light the candle ONCE until the flame extinguishes itself.  Thoughts?

When I test my candles, I test each new wick/scent combo 3 ways. The "correct" way, 3-4 hour burns each time (depending on size of candle diameter of course), a "power" burn, burning how you described above, and burning in short bursts of 10-20 minutes at a time, then sometimes a couple hours, then back to the 10-20 minutes, because this is how some consumers burn their candles. If the candle does relatively well in all 3 tests, but has the "perfect" burn with the "correct" way of doing it, I consider it a winner and move on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@ellajoan...I know the FB group you're talking about. The particular comment you're referring to was fine, but it's always good to double check info you receive. As Jcandleattic and Pcbrook already pointed out, testing for a "correct" burn of 3-4 hours at a time as well as testing for a power burn is good because it gives you more information about how your candles will perform in different situations and with different customers. Because of the size of my candles, I've never been able to do a burn like you described where I just light the candle once and leave it until it extinguishes because it would take too long, but I have done longer burns of 7-10 hours to see what happens. Happy testing!

I might be completely wrong, but In all honesty, I really don't think there is anyone that will light a candle once and leave it burn to the end. We mainly do 16oz jar candles. I couldn't imagine testing a 16oz jar this way. That sucker would burn probably 3 days straight. As it is now we have ours where we can go about 10 -11 hours before it needs to be blown out and wick trimmed. Personally, I think that is dangerous advice to be giving people. Just my opinion.

Wow, testing from the first light to the end?  Well, that has never happened here and won't be.   Now I will say since I am a night owl I have done many many times a burning cycle of at least 16 hours with great success.

Trappeur