Refridgeration for a cure time?

Ok, you can all laugh when you read this thread.....I have a stupid question.....doesn't hurt to ask...

I was wondering if I put some sample candles that I'm waiting for a 2 week cure in the refridgerator would that speed up the cure time?  

Would the oil be binding with the wax doing this?

Happy early Valentines day

Trappeur

• Like 1

It could. I guess it depends what you are testing. The oil blend, the wax, the wick, the jar, other. 

I am one for keeping all variables the same for testing. For instance, what if the refrigeration changed something about the oil binding, or the wax, the wick, jar adhesion or other. I would wonder (I am a super analytical thinker which can be a very bad thing) then if the next batch-not cured in the same way-would result in a different outcome. For me that would mean that I would be back testing how I always tested and it would then gain me nothing.

• Like 1

I have no experience with this but my personal and gut feeling is that it wouldn't. But again, that's just a personal guess, I actually have no idea.

However, I view candles and soap the way I view a good wine. The longer it sits and cures, the absolute better it will be.  

• Like 1

I have had many soy candles crack from being refrigerated. And it really did not speed up cure in terms of scent throw.

It "could" help solidify the innards of a larger candle for wick testing, but then again soy performs so differently over time... 

• Like 2

It never hurts to think of short cuts as long as it doesn't compromise the end product!  But, I don't feel that the temperature has as much to do with curing as the duration of time does, as I don't think anything can take the place of time in the curing process.  Your thought is a nice try though!  :)

While 'cool' helps harden wax, usually in chemical processes, it's increased warmth that will accelerate things. Don't know if this relates to candles or curing them however.  And variables such as doing something different than you've usually done it, as jjc said, can mess with your results in unknown ways. :)