UGH Bad Day

Jcandleattic

Soaping and stress shouldn't be mixed I guess. I decided yesterday morning to dilute some of my liquid soap paste, to show you guys how I do it. Well there was a tiny bit left that wouldn't dilute, so at about 1pm I decided to warm it up a bit on my little electric stove for a few minutes. Okay, so I turn it on and go upstairs to go to the bathroom and get a glass of water... Well... Yep, you guessed it, I forgot about it. Completely and totally forgot about it. Went grocery shopping, picked up my granddaughter from school, etc. Finally at about 7pm I decided to do some laundry. Yeah... Opened the basement door to a fog/smoked filled basement with a horrible stench and STILL DID NO REMEMBER MY SOAP PASTE ON THE BURNER. OMG my mind is fried if I couldn't even remember that simple thing. At first I thought my new washer or dryer had 'blown up' because I have a Samsung front loader set, and just put a load in at the same time I turned the burner on. When I opened the basement door all I could think and see were $$$$ signs... So it was actually a relief when I realized that's "all" it was. Luckily the pan wasn't ruined, nothing else melted, the pot the paste was in didn't get ruined (the soap did, but not the pot) however, now I'm wondering why the smoke detector down there didnt' go off. Oh checked it, yeah, awesome, no batteries... UGH. So that's pretty much how my whole week has been going. *Sigh*

Any fun soaping adventures for you guys? 

• Like 4

So sorry this happened! Glad it didn't catch on fire that probably would have been the worst case scenario. But I have to say I did that once with olive oil heating in the pan I went downstairs to the basement and got a bit sidetracked and when I came up the oil smoked up the whole kitchen! Thank God it didn't catch on fire! We've all done stuff like this so let me give you a hug it's okay :-)

• Like 2

If it makes you feel any better, this was my week . One thing after another. Good news is there was no fire, it actually surprised me that one didn't start.

I don't even want to tell you how many STUPID things Ive done lol ! Glad all is ok. Onward and upward :) 

• Like 2

Well you know how the saying goes if you do one good deed a year, you will only do one not so smart thing (shall we say), a year. With that out of the way you are good for the next 11 months. I really just made this up but, I am sure the rest of the year will be great!!!!!!!!:D

• Like 3

Well, I haven't diluted any soap in the last couple days, but sometime this week I will try again. However, today I had a soap friend come over, and we made a salve, some bath fizzies, and a 2lb soap. That's all, but it decompressed me and I am now less stressed and am feeling much better. 

Thank you all for your kind words. 

• Like 3

Now if I lived close by that could of been me. Except I would of been your attentive student lol !  Glad your feeling better :) Before I forget, I know you said you've

tried most all of Mad Oils FO's , have you tried earl grey tea - south beach or kai ? I did order 1lb of deviant :/

i think we all have days like that and it can be so frustrating. So glad nothing serious happened. Just another reason why I try to not to do too much on days where I am just not 'feeling' it. For example I never make soap on days I am not 100% focused. Always afraid I will have a lye accident or end up with 10 lbs of soap I have to rebatch!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Candybee said:

i think we all have days like that and it can be so frustrating. So glad nothing serious happened. Just another reason why I try to not to do too much on days where I am just not 'feeling' it. For example I never make soap on days I am not 100% focused. Always afraid I will have a lye accident or end up with 10 lbs of soap I have to rebatch!!

Same here! I wanted to make soap so bad the last few days but i started getting dizzy. Dr said upper respiratory infection and fluid behind my ears was causing the dizziness. I got a steroid shot and zpac but I'm still dizzy. So I didn't make soap this weekend ? I did get stuff packaged though. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

Now if I lived close by that could of been me. Except I would of been your attentive student lol !  Glad your feeling better :) Before I forget, I know you said you've

tried most all of Mad Oils FO's , have you tried earl grey tea - south beach or kai ? I did order 1lb of deviant :/

South Beach - yes, LOVE IT. It's one of my top sellers. I have Earl Grey Tea, and have put that in candles, and it's great, but I haven't soaped it. I think I may have Kai? but if I do, I've never soaped or made candles with it, and I just got Deviant and Spanish Fly a couple months ago, but again, have not used them. OOB they are fantastic. Deviant is a masculine type scent. I can't wait to use it. 

14 minutes ago, KrazeKelly said:

Same here! I wanted to make soap so bad the last few days but i started getting dizzy. Dr said upper respiratory infection and fluid behind my ears was causing the dizziness. I got a steroid shot and zpac but I'm still dizzy. So I didn't make soap this weekend ? I did get stuff packaged though. ?

Your packaging looks great too!! Sorry about the dizziness. I get mild vertigo every now and then, and man, it is HORRIBLE... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

South Beach - yes, LOVE IT. It's one of my top sellers. I have Earl Grey Tea, and have put that in candles, and it's great, but I haven't soaped it. I think I may have Kai? but if I do, I've never soaped or made candles with it, and I just got Deviant and Spanish Fly a couple months ago, but again, have not used them. OOB they are fantastic. Deviant is a masculine type scent. I can't wait to use it. 

Deviant is masculine??? It was described as a fruity floral 

ugg I ordered a full pound that's all the was left . 

Jcandleattic thats so weird .. on the site it says fruity top notes of red cranberry -peach + apple with notes of peony - osmonthus - night blooming marigold - vanilla -rum -

musk - and marshmallow .... Its suppose to be a BBW dupe of Forever Red - I guess all of are noses smell differently so I shall wait n see  ;)

Really? Because it smells NOTHING like Forever Red to me. I LOVE that perfume. It's my daughter's favorite and it's like a permanent scent out of her room. And Deviant is not that. For sure. If you want a good Forever Red dupe see if Aztec still has theirs, It's the closest I've ever smelled. 

Unless I got something that was mislabeled which is possible, but to my nose it's masculine. 

Oh and I didn't read the description. I didn't know it was supposed to be a Forever Red dupe or I would have never gotten it because I have 3 lbs of Aztec's, that I love, so I wouldn't have needed more. Glad I didn't read it. 

On 1/14/2017 at 3:11 PM, Jcandleattic said:

Soaping and stress shouldn't be mixed I guess. I decided yesterday morning to dilute some of my liquid soap paste, to show you guys how I do it. Well there was a tiny bit left that wouldn't dilute, so at about 1pm I decided to warm it up a bit on my little electric stove for a few minutes. Okay, so I turn it on and go upstairs to go to the bathroom and get a glass of water... Well... Yep, you guessed it, I forgot about it. Completely and totally forgot about it. Went grocery shopping, picked up my granddaughter from school, etc. Finally at about 7pm I decided to do some laundry. Yeah... Opened the basement door to a fog/smoked filled basement with a horrible stench and STILL DID NO REMEMBER MY SOAP PASTE ON THE BURNER. OMG my mind is fried if I couldn't even remember that simple thing. At first I thought my new washer or dryer had 'blown up' because I have a Samsung front loader set, and just put a load in at the same time I turned the burner on. When I opened the basement door all I could think and see were $$$$ signs... So it was actually a relief when I realized that's "all" it was. Luckily the pan wasn't ruined, nothing else melted, the pot the paste was in didn't get ruined (the soap did, but not the pot) however, now I'm wondering why the smoke detector down there didnt' go off. Oh checked it, yeah, awesome, no batteries... UGH. So that's pretty much how my whole week has been going. *Sigh*

Any fun soaping adventures for you guys? 

Boy Jane, I'm glad to read that someone else has done a stupid thing like what you did as that has happened to me also.  I know and felt exactly like you did when that mishap happened.  It's not funny is it?  I shook for 1/2 the afternoon thinking what could have happened when I did something similar to what you did!   I'm glad you posted this as it makes me feel better!

Trappeur

3 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Oh Jane I didn't mean to call you stupid, I'm sorry.....please don't get mad at me.....lol...even though we both were....lol....well it is what it is.....*hiding*

Trappeur

HAHA I didn't take it as you calling us stupid persay, just something we did in the moment that was stupid. :) Not even a little bit "mad" so no worries... 

16 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Your packaging looks great too!! Sorry about the dizziness. I get mild vertigo every now and then, and man, it is HORRIBLE... 

i started getting vertigo a few years ago. Lately its decided to stay. I can minimize the effects by taking gingko biloba supplements. Enough so that I don't feel nauseated or like I'm spinning. Interestingly, it also minimized my tinnitus so much that I barely hear it at all.

If you want to give it a shot it took about 1-2 weeks to kick in and get rid of the vertigo. But it works so well I feel normal again.

Just make sure you talk with your doctor if you are taking other medications. A side effect of GB is that it thins the blood.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2017 at 10:39 AM, Candybee said:

i started getting vertigo a few years ago. Lately its decided to stay. I can minimize the effects by taking gingko biloba supplements. Enough so that I don't feel nauseated or like I'm spinning. Interestingly, it also minimized my tinnitus so much that I barely hear it at all.

If you want to give it a shot it took about 1-2 weeks to kick in and get rid of the vertigo. But it works so well I feel normal again.

Just make sure you talk with your doctor if you are taking other medications. A side effect of GB is that it thins the blood.

When I get it, it tends to only last a days or so. (Thank goodness) But this is good to know. 

18 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

When I get it, it tends to only last a days or so. (Thank goodness) But this is good to know. 

Mine started out in short periods and over the years I would get vertigo attacks more frequently and for longer periods. I have been taking GB daily for about a year now because when I try to stop taking it the vertigo comes back. Fortunately my doc said to use it if it helps me. Another side effect (a good one) is that it also helps clear your mind so you concentrate better. Like drinking a cup of coffee in the morning. Anyway I only take one 60mg pill a day. The label says to take 2 but I only want to use what I need and this works.

• Like 1