Wine BottleCandles

Does anyone do cut wine bottle candles?  My husband and I have been working on it for over a year.  I'm afraid that the integrity of the glass is compromised so I haven't sold any.  Everyone I know saves bottles for me so I feel bad (have hundreds) Any thoughts or input on safety issues?  Thanks

I have thought about this myself and wanted to get a glass cutter and whatever you use to file the edges.  At one point I noticed that there is a candle company in Australia that sells cut beer bottle candles, I think they have a video on youtube.  As TallTayl mentioned, the glass really needs to be smoothed.  I'm not sure if the container loses integrity from the cutting or if it's not meant for heat since I've never tried it. 

• Like 1

I drive a semi-truck and make wholesale pallet deliveries for my 9-5. It is soooooo weird you ask this because just today I was making a barrel delivery to a local winery and in their retail floor space they were selling these: https://www.shop-rewined.com/collections/signature-collection     I almost purchased one they were so fantastic and well made. The glass was super thick and sturdy and the fragrances were to die for. They obviously do this on a large scale so Im not sure exactly what they use to cut their bottles, but Im sure your husband and yourself can come up with an idea that works.

Only reason I didnt purchase one is the price lol. They wanted near $30 for what amounted to less than an 8 oz Soy candle. (The bottle are about 11 oz, but they dont fill even close to the top, maybe 7 or 8 oz worth) Say what?? Nope, not going to spend that even if was the best idea Ive seen in a while. To me, pricing a candle in the 8 oz range for near $30 is a bit outlandish but all the power to them. They obviously are staying in business, and have customers so who am I to say anything bad :P

Edited by Clear Black
  • Like 1

There are multiple ways to cut the glass, they make tools to score them and you can also do rubbing alcohol on twin and lighting it on fire to weaken the glass then cooling it quickly to break it off. 

But all of the diy ways would leave it rough if you don't polish them. I used to blow glass and we had grinding wheels that ground the glass smoothly so you don't get cut, but I expect that even used ones would get pricey unless you decide to go all in. You could look up a local glass blowing studio, many times you can rent studio time/ cold working studio time where they probably have the tools you need to get smooth edges and even tool to cut without compromising the glass. might even have cold working classes or possibly lamp working courses to melt the edges instead of grinding it smooth.

You could also add an additional warning when you sell them, I would look to see if re-wined  has additional warnings due to the glass to see if its something they do.