Paper for Labels recommendation

YAMS

What kind of paper do you all recommend for making my own labels.  So far I have been using stick on Avery label sheets that I create from scratch.  I have seen some photos here where the label paper is of a shiny material.   What do you suggest to use other than Avery shipping, or mailing labels?  

Thanks 

I buy my labels at Labels by the Sheet http://www.labelsbythesheet.com/items/white-high-gloss-laser-labels/white-high-gloss-rectangle-laser-labels/list.htm

They have kraft labels, water proof, colored, white, gold, etc. I like to use the photo gloss labels because they are partly water resistant and take color very well. But then I use lots of color pictures in my labels so I need labels that will take the color nicely. I also buy them for ink jet printers. You can get them for ink jet or lazer depending on the type of printer you have.

Lots of people go with the kraft labels for jar candles. They have that nice country and primitive look that works for areas where customers want 'country' or 'primitive' type candles.

• Like 3

Onlinelabels or labels by the sheet.

I use a wide array of labels for my main candle labels. But I also make my own warning labels.

Warning labels for SURE should be as water proof as possible for liability reasons (you want them to last)

I would say I "mostly" use glossy labels due to being more resistent to water but also for the candles i have more color or picutres on.

But I also have a very rustic look on my mini masons and for those I opted for matte.

Point is... you have lots of options and its ultimately about what you like. Both the vendors mentioned have plenty of options.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2016 at 6:24 PM, KrazeKelly said:

I use full sheet labels from Online Labels. I get matte, glossy and weatherproof. 

Kelly

Kelly,

I was thinking of getting the full sheets also that way I can manipulate the size a little better to include images.   Do you use a specific image manilupating program? How do you create yours using the full page sheets?  Thanks 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2016 at 5:31 PM, Candybee said:

I buy my labels at Labels by the Sheet http://www.labelsbythesheet.com/items/white-high-gloss-laser-labels/white-high-gloss-rectangle-laser-labels/list.htm

They have kraft labels, water proof, colored, white, gold, etc. I like to use the photo gloss labels because they are partly water resistant and take color very well. But then I use lots of color pictures in my labels so I need labels that will take the color nicely. I also buy them for ink jet printers. You can get them for ink jet or lazer depending on the type of printer you have.

Lots of people go with the kraft labels for jar candles. They have that nice country and primitive look that works for areas where customers want 'country' or 'primitive' type candles.

I love the look of the Kraft labels but I soooooo torn.   I have created several different labels with beautiful colorful images which would look nice in shiny white paper however; I love the look of the Kraft Light Brown paper for a more simple look.   Decisions, decisions!!! Lol  

So guys I went to labels by the sheet and I ordered about 6 different type of labels from the white gloss in different shapes to the Kraft Light Brown for a more rustic look. I made sure to order the round ones also for my small sized tins.  I ordered different ones to test to see which ones I like more but  I am sure I will be narrowing down to just a couple.  I don't sell my labels so I really do not need that many different labels or containers.   So difficult to decide what type of label I want to stay with.   They are so different in appearance (the white gloss or the Kraft).  I guess that's part of the fun of this.  Thanks everyone.  You are the best.  I am glad I found this group.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wthomas57 said:

Ive considered full sheet labels  few times... would definitely help with any alignment issues when printing.

But have never done much research into where to get label cutters

wthomas57, I was thinking that a regular craft paper cutter would do.  I have one and I use it frequently for Scrap-booking and such.   I guess I would have to try with the labels.   

7 hours ago, YAMS said:

Kelly,

I was thinking of getting the full sheets also that way I can manipulate the size a little better to include images.   Do you use a specific image manilupating program? How do you create yours using the full page sheets?  Thanks 

I use Avery Design Pro to make all my labels. I make square labels and round labels so it's either scissors or the extra large Fiskars hole punch that I use to cut with. I really really REALLY want one of those cricut machines but I don't want to spend 250.00 and not like it. Does any one here use those?? 

Kelly

8 hours ago, KrazeKelly said:

I use Avery Design Pro to make all my labels. I make square labels and round labels so it's either scissors or the extra large Fiskars hole punch that I use to cut with. I really really REALLY want one of those cricut machines but I don't want to spend 250.00 and not like it. Does any one here use those?? 

Kelly

I have a more expensive cutter (Black Cat Technologies) and do use it for a few labels.  But, for me, it is just as easy to buy labels that are the exact size circle I need and just print and peel.

Goldie

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

I have a more expensive cutter (Black Cat Technologies) and do use it for a few labels.  But, for me, it is just as easy to buy labels that are the exact size circle I need and just print and peel.

Goldie

I also find this to be true. The problem many people deal with is alignment with the labels printing from their printer.

Ive waste many entire packages myself trying to get them to work. Its hit or miss.

The best is to order them in bulk from online print labs. Best quality, best pricing. The problem is you have to order in large bulk for it to be worth it and that gets really expensive when doing every scent/jar

11 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

I also find this to be true. The problem many people deal with is alignment with the labels printing from their printer.

Ive waste many entire packages myself trying to get them to work. Its hit or miss.

The best is to order them in bulk from online print labs. Best quality, best pricing. The problem is you have to order in large bulk for it to be worth it and that gets really expensive when doing every scent/jar

There are templates you can download for the exact label you are using.  Even with that, I always print on plain paper first, hold the labels up to the light with the printed sheet in front or behind, then adjust the margins or columns.  Retest. . .  Takes a few tries but at least I'm not wasting the labels.  Once you get a template set up with the correct placement, you can use that for all your labels of that size.

I've started making my own warning labels so I can include the fragrance, weight, and company name as well as all the usual warnings.  Since I use Ball or Mason jars, there is no smooth surface to put a label other than the bottom of the jar.  So this works for me.

Goldie

• Like 2

I do the same.

And when referring the wasted labels... I know there are exact templates. That is what everyone uses. What I was saying is a very large majority of people struggle big time with alignment issues with Avery labels. Its very well documented. Heck, just check out reviews of their labels online... mostly nothing about complaints. Its been an avery problem for a very long time. Its not all their labels and templates.. but a large potion. I have one set of labels for example, they only required a minor tweak and work just fine.

Other labels will not print correctly across the labels no matter what you do. I've tweaked for months, trued multiple printers... doesn't matter. You get one label lined up and then the rest are off. Like I said, its a known major issue with Avery. I dont know about others line OnlineLabels, etc. Ive only used 2 styles.

I buy my round labels from Onlinelabels.  They offer templates for different programs as well as specific margins, horitzontall/vertical settings which helps cut down on guessing at least for me.  Not sure what Avery provides as they didn't have the size I needed. 

KrazeKelly, I too buy the full sheet label and have a hole punch for 1" labels which I use for pricing stickers. :)

Goldie

labels.JPG

On September 15, 2016 at 10:35 PM, KrazeKelly said:

Kelly

Kelly I've been wanting to get one myself but they are so expensive.  I mean I do a lot of arts and crafts for which it would be put to good use but too expensive.  I use a craft paper cutter and it works great. They are about $20 and does  a great job Try it is much better than cutting by hand or even the hole punch from Fiskas.  

• Like 1

After years of punching, etc. I settled on simple square/rectangular labels for most of my containers. Perfection of labels tended to be less of a priority as production volume increased :D the clear labels make it less noticeable when printed slightly off.

For tins I add top and bottom circles along with the rectangular band. I buy the circles precut (clear for top and Kraft or white for bottom) and don't fret if the printer pulls them slightly off center. No matter how many times I perfect the alignment, the printer will pull what the printer pulls, so I pretend i don't notice, and have never had a customer say a word :) not to mention the people who help me label often miss the center when sticking, so...... 

For my oval melt cups the oval precut work just fine. 

The cricut and silhouette machines are finicky. Nearly as difficult as the Precuts. I gave up on that ghost.