My first horrible experience with supplier

awickedscent

Ok so here it goes. I use one company that I usually get all my supplies from. Well a couple of months ago that sent me the wrong product. I call them that same day I received that product even though that it was delevered three days late becuase UPS miss sorted that package and they told me to mail the wrong ones back and that they would send me the correct ones. I sent that wrong ones back by regular mail and they sent the correct ones. Well UPS left the package on the front door when our shop was closed. We never received it and the company siad that they never received my return and that they would not give me my money back. To make it even worse the fragrance was for a special order that after all of this I lost. I threatened them with small claims and they decided to give me the credit and then they told me that I am not going to order from them again. All of this I feel is their fault and they are trying to make it look like it was mine. Now my attorney is telling me to take it to court and to get the money that I would have received from the special order as well. Am i doing the right thing? I have spent thousands of dollars with this company and all I was asking for was the 38.00 dollars back and now I am going to go after the whole amount

Yes I did. They even put a tracer on the package. But since I am not the shipper I would not get credit from them. Only the shipper would. I just received another email from the shipper and they told me that they would give me the credit and that I will not be placing any more orders with them. And this isnt even my fault. It is theirs and UPS's problem. I guess this is what kind of service you get when people dont know what they are doing.

You can't just sue your supplier. You'll also have to go after UPS, and good luck suing them. They are the ones who negligently left the package without a signature. Did you inform your supplier not to send deliveries on the day you are closed? If you didn't, that would be construed as negligence on your part.

The supplier isn't obligated to give you a refund for items it never received back. I'm sure now you realize the value of always getting a delivery confirmation when using the post office for returns.

It sucks what happened to you. How many dollars did you lose over the special order? You need to take a look at that, plus the cost of small claims court fees and determine if it's really cost effective to take any action.

Do you need any recommendations for new suppliers?

You know I used to have this problem with Fed-Ex just leaving stuff and saying I had signed for it etc. I think the company is in the wrong and depending on how much your special order was, you might look into if taking that kind of action would cost you more in the long run.

It's a PITA when this happens and very frustrating. Sorry to hear it. How much time were you given between accepting the order and the fill date?

IMHO, everyone has some blame in this. The delivery people being the most. However, packages going both ways should have been insured and had delivery confirmation. Also take into account if any special delivery instructions were given, as mentioned, like acceptable days/times for the delivery.

I understand you're out the cost of the supplies and lost business, but if you look at it from their view, they're out both shipments. Though you loss is probably greater, they're losing out too. If you were in their shoes, what would you do? Can you prove negligence on the suppliers end?

I'm very small time here, so I know how every penny counts. However, I also think society is getting "sue-happy" instead of taking the time to work things out and accept lessons learned.

Sounds like a mixture of things went wrong. Supplier sent the wrong scent (that can happen, been there delt with that). You didnt track your shipment back to the supplier which they should have just sent you a pickup from ups anyways. UPS delivered and didnt get a signature... guess someone took it hey? The end result is UPS didnt get your product to you, your supplier did everything they could to resolve the initial problem. You cant blame your supplier for not receiving the oil you sent back, I think your lucky that they are going to give you credit on what you bought. Bruce

All packages are automatically insured up to $100 with UPS so you know the supplier is getting their $ back, that is if you can provide proof that you sent it back (hopefully you kept the receipt). I'd use up my credit and start ordering from a new supplier. Why would you want to continue with a supplier that obviously doesn't value you as a customer. However, I would not advice sueing them. Burden of proof will be on you, you have to prove how the supplier was negligent and caused your loss of sale, which I honestly don't see happening. It was really UPS's fault. I don't know what the value of your order was, but you have to consider court costs and minus those from profit of the sale, your time, etc...I doubt it's worth it after all that. JMHO

If they did not request a signature when they shipped it out, it is not UPS's fault, and then I would take further action (If it was wirth it to you).

I think it is kinda crappy that they are telling YOU, that they do not want your business.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you. I too would have thought that UPS could not release the package without a signature, but again, it is at the driver's discretion. However, if the account has explicit instructions not to release any packages, they (UPS) could be in a hard place). I think everyone learned a hard lesson in this one.

just so that some of you know so you understand what the "protection" coverage is so that you know where I am coming from. If you order something and it is shipped by say "UPS" and they leave it without a signature or if they send you the wrong one. It is the suppliers responsibility to have the incorrect one shipped and the correct one sent out. If they want to make sure that you receive the package is received then they need to tell UPS that a signature is required. All this is covered if you pay bt credit card. These are the protections that you have. How do I know this? I was the Director of chargebacks for a large retail company and this is what the bank will tell you. If their is no proof of delivery that is the senders problem. And if you take it to court and I win they also have to pay my court costs which I have a receipt on the date I sent the packake back showing their zip code. I was in no way in the wrong. I am under no obligation to spend more money to have their incorrect product sent back with delivery confirmation

To me, that makes sense. Only because she (sorry, I don't know your name:embarasse) receive the good contracted under her purchase with her credit card. In that case, while it might have been "nice" of her to send the goods back w/ a tracking number, she certainly wasn't obligated. However, the supplier has yet to hold up their end of the bargain, so to speak, since her contracted goods are still not in her possession. Moreover, you would think that they would have scheduled a pickup for the incorrect merchandise to ensure there was no fraud. It still sucks that the driver released the package like that! Out of curiousity, what does your store front look like?

Wow, they really told you to never order from them again? That's deep. You musta really hit a nerve. Dish the details! Out them!

Unless you happen to be the type of person that really enjoys prolonging confrontations and stickin' it back to 'em just for the sake of it, I wouldn't bother with small claims. It's inconvienient, time consuming, and stessfull. I know it's the principle at this point, but still not worth the time to prep a case and appear in court. Every minute more that you spend on this is costing you, if not $, then emotional energy. I'd let it go, and find a different supplier!

Good luck, and sorry this happened to ya!

So, am I reading it right, they got the original "wrong" package back, sent you the new package, and the new package is the one missing?

I really don't know who is to blame, but shame on the supplier for saying they don't want your business, so much for customer service

It really sucks that you get most of your supplies with this supplier...it will be like starting over with getting all of your supplies with someone you like...and that could be multiple suppliers

What a MESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elle

just so that some of you know so you understand what the "protection" coverage is so that you know where I am coming from. If you order something and it is shipped by say "UPS" and they leave it without a signature or if they send you the wrong one. It is the suppliers responsibility to have the incorrect one shipped and the correct one sent out. If they want to make sure that you receive the package is received then they need to tell UPS that a signature is required. All this is covered if you pay bt credit card. These are the protections that you have. How do I know this? I was the Director of chargebacks for a large retail company and this is what the bank will tell you. If their is no proof of delivery that is the senders problem. And if you take it to court and I win they also have to pay my court costs which I have a receipt on the date I sent the packake back showing their zip code. I was in no way in the wrong. I am under no obligation to spend more money to have their incorrect product sent back with delivery confirmation

You're only looking at this from one point of view. What you said that I've highlighted works both ways. The sender show UPS delivered the package, but they don't have a signature. You sent the package back to them and you don't have a signature for that either. Does your receipt just show how much money you were charged, plus the zip code, or does it have their address written on it somewhere? If the address doesn't show up on the receipt how can you prove where you sent it to? How is this company supposed to know that they sent you the wrong product if they never get it back to verify it? According to their paperwork they sent what you ordered. Is it good customer relations to treat you the way they did? No. Some companies would have sucked it up and simply sent out the correct product to you at no charge, without you having to return anything because it was THEIR mistake. That is the way to handle problems in order to keep your valued customers. Does every company do that? No--just the smart ones.

Customer Service is HORRIBLE at that company if they are not willing to take your word after you spent thousands there. I just got a package from MMS the other day that was damaged (which I didn't know) and 1/2 the products were missing!! I just sat in disbelief as I had never ordered from them before. So I called them got disconnected, called back and one of the first things they asked was if their was any other tape but theirs which there was (UPS had retaped). So w/in 2 hours they called back saying they would air shipped the missing merchandise that day. NOW that's good C.S.- so their's one new supplier for you.

So what do you plan on doing? Hope I don't deal w/ that company that did that to you! :undecided

Another company that has excellent CS is WSP, I know they have high prices and high shipping but anytime I ever had anything wrong with my order they would next day it to me, no ???? asked and one time I put in an order on the website and accidentally ordered the wrong FO and called them and they were nice enough to change it for me, a lot of companies will not let you change anything once the order was in. They also let me call and add to an order one time which is a big no no with a lot of companies, they don't make it a regular thing but they do know the "things happen" and are flexible.

I really hope everything turns out ok for you and you are able to get your products from one or two sources and don't have to order from tons just to get what you need.

Good Luck

Michelle

When you called the company did you only speak to one person? I'm wondering if you called and asked to speak to a manager or owner if you might get a different result.

As an owner/manager I would want to know if my employee was rude to a customer. I would also want to know if my packing/shipping department was not doing their job correctly.

I would certainly call back and ask for the supervisor of the person you spoke to previously about this matter. Hopefully, the person you spoke to wasn't the owner! Politely explain that you thought they would want to be informed of the quality of customer service their employee is providing by telling you never to order from them again. Then describe how your order got goofed up, etc. Maybe getting through to the right person will help you solve your problem.

I agree that you need to know who you were speaking with. Owner, Manager or Employee? I would guess an employee, only because owners would NEVER say something of that nature to one of their loyal clients. ( Although I have no doubt that there have been many business owners who at one time or the other "blew it"....or got too big for their britches and acted like they didn't need the business.

IMHO, companies are responsible for their employees. Their actions and their attitudes. If I had an employee that, for the most part, told one of my clients that I did not need their business, they would be looking for another job, and my client would get a "love note" and a phone call.....and most likely a peace offering gift.

I'm with Casey...out them! Could be this is common practice for this company....or could be that this is very unusual. Either way, they are responsible. Lets hear some feed back on the company...who is it?

Wow, what a mess. I feel for you.

I can almost bet I know who this supplier is. Such a crying shame, honestly.

What I am not understanding is their lack of tact and professionalism. This had to be an employee talking. No true business owner in their right mind would treat a customer like that, ever! At least not to their face, LOL.

Yes, UPS loses packages and makes mistakes, but the heart of the matter is the unwillingness of the company to make good on this transaction. Their customer service leaves alot to be desired. Owners know a loyal customer is the life blood of their business. It sounds this the owner needs to be a bit more involved with this issue. Any one of my regular suppliers would have reshipped that package next day air on my word. You deserve the same treatment. There are too many excellent suppliers out there then to have to deal with the crap ones.

Quite frankly for me, its not price that usually hooks me, its quality products and the level of customer service I receive. If I can get the exact same non-fragrance item from another supplier cheaper, but they have attitude issues with the staff~ they will not get one dime of my money. I will gladly pay another supplier whatever their price may be. Life is too short to worry about nickels and dimes.

Since it seems that you have already established yourself as a loyal customer, I would do everything in my power to speak personally to the one of the owners. Explain your situation, as calmly as you can, and also clue them in on how their employees are treating customers. If they do not choose to rectify the situation immediately~ I would do a charge back on the last delivery with your credit card company and write it off as a bad experience. Perhaps dropping the BBB a line wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

Yes. I asked to speak to the owner and they said that he is not going to speak to me. So I dont even know if he knows about this situatoion. She is now trying to back paddle and see what she can do to amke me happy. I asked to speak to the owner and she told me no. The company is BCN

Yes. I asked to speak to the owner and they said that he is not going to speak to me. So I dont even know if he knows about this situatoion. She is now trying to back paddle and see what she can do to amke me happy. I asked to speak to the owner and she told me no. The company is BCN

That's interesting that it was BCN. I had ordered a 1 oz sample fragrance from them once and they sent me the wrong one. They wanted me to send it back and they would send the new one. There was no way in hell I was going to pay shipping to send a 1 oz sample back so I never did and I did get the new fragrance. I don't understand why they don't just eat the cost though. They're a big enough company. I've had smaller companies than them that have eaten the cost of a lot larger mistakes. I don't like ordering from them because 99% of the time something goes wrong with my order - usually something little that's not worth complaining about, but annoying all the same. That's really a shame how they handled the whole situation.

You need to email the owner. I find it hard to believe that Doneen or Rich wouldn't try to make things right. If you want Doneen's company email addy, send me a PM.

Guest EMercier

All I can say is unbelieveable! Sorry this happened. I've gotten the wrong thing from Candles and Supplies, and immediately called after receiving my package and they told me to keep and and they sent me the right stuff. It's all about good customer service. The lady I spoke with knows me as well, since I go there and pick up my stuff in addition to getting supplies shipped when I'm feeling lazy.

Bottom line is, you speak to everyone there until you get to the owner or a manager and if they refuse, then you take it in stride, because honestly it will cost you more to file a claim. Now you can sue for all your charges, but good luck in getting that money. They can just place a judgement against them and you'd probably still be out of money. Sometimes things like these are lessons. Don't waste your time on the shipping service, becuase like the company, good luck in getting your money.

You can always write a letter, if you know the owners' name and address it to them and send it certified mail so that you know they received it or send them a bill and hire a collections agency like they would've done to you! I'm just kidding about the collections agency. :)