What size jar do you use for testers?

Are 4 oz jars big enough for testers? In regards to scent throw that is. I realize when testing melt pools I will need to test all size jars I plan on using, but to determine whether or not Im getting proper HT will a 4 oz jar be ok? Or have you folks mostly stuck to 8 oz testers?

I do plan on using these 4 oz jars as "stocking stuffer" "small bathroom" type sellers/gifts, so I will need to test this jar anyways. Im just curious if for testing purposes, will 4 oz jars be ok. Im asking because Im currently burning (2) of Yankee Candles 4 oz "Lush Berries" jars and those throw pretty dam good. I have them in my kitchen and they fill the room enough for me. So I guess I was hoping to save some raw materials by only making 4 oz testers buy getting a case of these: http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/4-oz-Straight-Sided-Jars-58-CT-P95.aspx

• Like 1

Yes, all good advice and many thanks. To clarify, I will indeed be testing on an 8 oz and 16 oz jar once I get to that point. I guess my question was for scent throw only. Is it ok to test on the 4 oz jar I will be using rather than having to fill a 16 oz jar to test for hot throw?

As others have said, test with the same jar you plan on giving/selling. Test from beginning of the burn to the end of the burn, and many different ways (power burns, short burns, 3-4 hour burns, etc.,) This will give you the results and by the time you are done testing you will know exactly how that particular candle burns with your applications. 

As far as scent throw, the same advice applies, as every sized candle will throw differently. What may seem like a weak scent in a 4 oz can blow off the doors in a 16. Again, there are many variables, and testing for anything is an ongoing continuous thing... 

• Like 1